Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Do All Non-Muslims Go To Hell?

This is a discussion on Do All Non-Muslims Go To Hell? within the Beliefs and Fundamentals forums, part of the Main Topics category; From my reading of the Quran, the answer is an obvious No! but this requires some explanation along with ...

Follow Abdullah11 On Twitter Add Abdullah11 on Facebook

Default Do All Non-Muslims Go To Hell?

From my reading of the Quran, the answer is an obvious No! but this requires some explanation along with some beautiful insights that may have the power to positively transform the way we interact with each other, and with the Quran, inshaAllah.

The Quran is unequivocal about one thing: true believers (muminun) earn and deserve their place in Heaven and Kafirs earn and deserve their place in Hell. I couldnt agree more with this concept. All virtuous qualities, all noble values are assigned to the Qurans description of the believer and all vices and human faults that cause harm are assigned to the Qurans description of the disbeliever or kafir. Which begs the question

What Is A Kafir?

There are two ways to explain the word kafir. The way the Quran actually uses the term, and the way Muslims commonly use it. Linguistically and spiritually, there is immense beauty in the way the Quran uses the term kafir. A kafir is literally one who covers or hides. It is the active participle of the word ka-fa-ra and refers to a farmer whos job it is to cover up and protect his crop from the elements. So, the spiritual meaning of the kafir is the one who covers up and hides the truth. My preferred translation: the one who is in denial.

This is the ultimate sin of the heart having the truth in front of you, and even acknowledging that it is the truth, but denying it and hiding it because you might lose something wealth, status or power if you accept it. This was the main reason that during his time, some people did not follow Muhammad, peace & blessings be upon him.

Unfortunately, the way Muslims have come to use the term kafir is very different from the way the Quran uses it. Muslims, originally for legal purposes, and now out of habit and social conditioning, have come to use the word kafir to refer to anyone who is not Muslim. This is the beginning of a multitude of social problems Muslims face in the West.

Who Is A True Kafir?

The key distinction we need to draw for the Quranic concept of kufr to have any relevance in real life is: we dont know who is which. And we wont know, until the Day of Judgement, at which point we wont be concerned with anyone but ourselves.

It is a fatal error for Muslims, especially those in the West, to assume that:

a) All Muslims are believers as the Quran describes them

b) All those who are not Muslim are kafirs as the Quran describes them.

Unfortunately, the majority of Muslims students and teachers particularly in the Muslim world, make this generalisation all the time, as though its a fact, and as though if you challenge this misconception there would be a fault with your own faith.

This idea is completely wrong, and actually quite dangerous when taken to its logical conclusion. I cant imagine how closed minded I would have to be, and how much hate I would need to harbour in my heart, in order to believe that my next door neighbours and dear beloved friends who are not Muslims, are actually kafirs, in the Quranic sense of the word. That 2 dimensional world view has lead to some disastrous consequences including terrorism. No terrorist could kill innocent non-Muslims without first making the huge leap to equating non-Muslim to kafir.

If all Muslims were true believers as the Quran describes them, we would never miss a prayer, we would all understand and purify ourselves through the Quran on a daily basis, we would never cheat in business, avoid taxes, touch intoxicants, fornicate, or commit adultery and we would all give to charity, help the needy, bring up orphans, and you get the point. This is obviously not a reflection of reality.

If all non-Muslims were kafirs, then upon reading the Quran we would have to conclude that they are ignorant, arrogant, evil people who seek the destruction of Earth for no reason other than selfish greed. This is an equally inaccurate view of reality, if we take a look at the non-Muslims all around us.

Many Muslims would agree that its true that not all Muslims are believers as many Muslims profess faith, but their faith is weak or they dont believe at all, which places them under the 3rd category that the Quran is explicit about: hypocrites.

However, there is a 4th category that were missing out on here. Its a category that the Quran alludes to but remains silent about. Its a category that the majority of people on the planet fall under. Think about this for a minute:

Believers are those that are Muslims and embody the noble qualities the Quran encourages
    Kafirs are those that are not Muslims and embody the harmful vices the Quran discourages
    Hypocrites are those that claim to be Muslim and embody the harmful vices the Quran discourages
    Whats missing?
    Obviously, those that are not Muslim, but embody the noble qualities the Quran commends. What does the Quran say about these people (that might make up a few billion of our sisters and brothers in humanity today)? Nothing. At the most the Quran alludes to their existence, but doesnt actually say anything about them theres especially no mention of whether or not they go to Heaven or Hell.

Why?

Thats a great question. My theory is that the Quran doesnt talk about this category specifically because, in reality no-one falls under this 4th category. We ALL fall under ALL of the first 3 categories Muslim or not. Let me explain

Being born into a Muslim family isnt enough to make you a true believer as the Quran talks about believers. If it did, we wouldnt need to fast or pray or do good, we would have a free ride to Paradise. That would be great for me not so great for my friend Jonny Raynor who grew up down the street from me. Unfortunately virtually every page of the Quran emphasises that this is not the case. You simply cannot read the Quran and come away with the idea that because you were born into a certain family, you are saved. To the contrary, by talking about Heaven and Hell, the Quran emphasises that you must take full responsibility for every decision you make. Your choices must be conscious, as there will be consequences both material and spiritual, in this life and the Next regardless of your colour, caste, tribe, family, etc.

Similarly, being born into a non-Muslim family just isnt enough to make you kafir. You dont get a free ride to Hell just because you were placed in the wrong club from birth. It doesnt work that way at least not from the Qurans point of view. To get to Hell you need to do some seriously messed up, evil things and feel no remorse about them. Or let them happen in front of you and be silent, allowing your soul to decay a little each day on the inside (remember Nazi Germany?).

As for the hypocrites, well, in a way, were all hypocrites. We all have social masks we use to hide our true selves from other people. We all crave to have the people around us think of us as good we all want people to like us. As a result, we sometimes make how other people see us a far more important part of our lives than how Allah sees us.

In reality, every one of us, Muslim or not, has all 3 archetypes living inside of us right now. As we read the Quran were brought face to face with the best and worst parts of ourselves. By making us face all parts of ourselves, the Quran purfies our inner kufr and increases our spiritual strength & resolve.

Do Non-Muslims Go To Heaven?

This is a dumb question. You might as well ask: does a human being go to Heaven? Like I mentioned earlier, we all fit into one or more of the 3 categories laid out at the beginning of the Quran: true believer, kafir (rejector; one in denial of truth), or hypocrite. So a non-Muslim, just like a Muslim will be judged by the only One who can judge the One who can see right through us. The One who happens to be the All-Loving, All-Knowing, All-Wise.

That being said, is it possible for someone who is not Muslim to fall under the Quranic description of the believer? From experience, I can safely say yes!. I know plenty of people who pray, meditate, fast, are extremely ethical and conscious of what they feed their bodies with, are constantly seeking answers to the big questions in life and yet are not Muslim because they were not born into Muslim families. Many of these people do not follow any religion, and some of them are atheists, sincerely seeking meaning in life. It seems obvious to me that if that person knew what I know of the Quran, they would believe in it whole-heartedly. If they were brought up how I was, and taught the Quran the way I was, of course they would believe in it as I do!

Ultimately, I cant see into their hearts only Allah can. I dont know if I or they are true believers. Only Allah does.

We simply do not know who goes to Heaven or Hell. This knowledge is reserved for Allah alone.

So, whether you call yourself a Muslim or not, and whether you act in front of others as a Muslim or not, the Quran is drawing our attention to something much deeper, much more spiritual, and truly universal that goes on inside every one of us:

The ongoing battle between light and darkness within ourselves. The fight between the truth of who we really are, and the false images and masks we put on so people will like us. The struggle to do what is best for ourselves and humanity in the long term, versus the easy path of seeking our short-term selfish interests and immediate pleasures. This is the true battle between Islam and Kufr and it rages on inside each of us Muslim or not.

Do All Non-Muslims Go To Hell? Quran For Busy People

Default Re: Do All Non-Muslims Go To Hell?

Any thoughts on the above?

A waste of time akhee, barakah Allah feek.

I am really unsure why you even posted it akhee?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Ibn Abbas Al-Misri For This Useful Post:
    Abul Hasan (4th April 2012)

. " . ! ! ! " : . ! " " : . ! " . . " .

Narrated by Imam Muslim

Imam Al-Nawawi said:

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ibn Abbas Al-Misri For This Useful Post:
    ahmad10 (4th April 2012), Tuwaylib (4th April 2012)

The one comment left at the site:

This author has gone crazy. He wants to say that non-muslim deserves a heaven for all so called good deeds he has done to get fame or to be called good by people of this world or for whatever reason. But author do not mind that if non-muslim worshiped idols or associated partner with Allah. Shirk is biggest crime for it is denying existence of true Allah
    Sums it up.

I found it quite interesting.What I feel is being said here is that Allah truly knows who is Munin and who is kaffir.

And Allah knows best.

Formerly 'LionofIslam'

well all ignorant kuffar have a chance of entering Jannah if they submit to the single command that Allah commands them in the akhira. However if the message has reached you and you deny than die than the pen has all ready been lifted and the ink has been dried.

There is one opinion by Ibn Taymiyya (and there was a long debate about this) which he held that the fire would eventually end however at the same time they wouldn't enter Jannah. Allahu Alim
    Stop Singing
    And Start Swinging! - Malcolm X

if by non-muslims you mean those jews, christians and sabians who used to believe in Allah and the last day, then no. so specifically these and those who were hanif. that means they were not upon shirk, but because they did not have access to any prophets or revealed scriptures that had not been corrupted, they will be excused.

one is not a muslim until knowledge comes to them, so Ibrahim was hanif, which just means he rejected shirk but he wasn't a muslim until Allah had chosen him as a prophet and guided him through revelations, the same with Musa and Muhammad salAllahu 'alayhi was-sallam. there is also the case of Zayd ibn 'Amr who wasn't muslim either.
    Last edited by al-Qanun; 4th April 2012 at 10:15 PM.
    ٰ

Akhi Al kareem I found the article confused at best. Just wanted some knowledgeable feed back Jazak Allah khairan.

This article was nothing compared to this one:

Niqabis And Nudists Quran For Busy People

Muslim Male
    Add  on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by QFBP
    This idea is completely wrong, and actually quite dangerous when taken to its logical conclusion. I cant imagine how closed minded I would have to be, and how much hate I would need to harbour in my heart, in order to believe that my next door neighbours and dear beloved friends who are not Muslims, are actually kafirs, in the Quranic sense of the word. That 2 dimensional world view has lead to some disastrous consequences including terrorism. No terrorist could kill innocent non-Muslims without first making the huge leap to equating non-Muslim to kafir.
    Killing innocents is haram. Full stop. But it has nothing to do with the word "kafir." Khawarij have never been too shy to spill Muslim blood. Maybe we should declare that there are no kafirun at all (a la neo-Murji'ah) in order to be on the safe side?

And I'm not sure how considering people to be kafirun is dangerous or closed-minded. I've known and know quite a few kafirun, as am sure most of us do, and I treat them all kindly and give them their due rights. I myself actually feel sorry for them at times, and I make Du'a asking for them to be guided towards Haqq. So if you can't treat people whom you consider kafirun nicely, it's your personal problem not a theological one.

If all Muslims were true believers as the Quran describes them, we would never miss a prayer, we would all understand and purify ourselves through the Quran on a daily basis, we would never cheat in business, avoid taxes, touch intoxicants, fornicate, or commit adultery and we would all give to charity, help the needy, bring up orphans, and you get the point. This is obviously not a reflection of reality.

If all non-Muslims were kafirs, then upon reading the Quran we would have to conclude that they are ignorant, arrogant, evil people who seek the destruction of Earth for no reason other than selfish greed. This is an equally inaccurate view of reality, if we take a look at the non-Muslims all around us.

Many Muslims would agree that its true that not all Muslims are believers as many Muslims profess faith, but their faith is weak or they dont believe at all, which places them under the 3rd category that the Quran is explicit about: hypocrites.
    Woah. He's mixed everything up. You can be a true believer and a sinner. And having weak faith does not mean you're a hypocrite.

Also being a kafir doesn't mean all of one's actions are super-evil. For example: Abu Talib. He was the Prophet's (sallallahu alaihi wasallam) beloved uncle and was one of his foremost protectors. Yet he died a kafir and will go to hell.

Similarly, being born into a non-Muslim family just isnt enough to make you kafir. You dont get a free ride to Hell just because you were placed in the wrong club from birth. It doesnt work that way at least not from the Qurans point of view. To get to Hell you need to do some seriously messed up, evil things and feel no remorse about them. Or let them happen in front of you and be silent, allowing your soul to decay a little each day on the inside (remember Nazi Germany?).
    No, you don't. Where in Islaam does it say that? Let's read this hadith:

"Allah's Apostle said, "A woman was tortured and was put in Hell because of a cat which she had kept locked till it died of hunger." Allah's Apostle further said, (Allah knows better) Allah said (to the woman), 'You neither fed it nor watered when you locked it up, nor did you set it free to eat the insects of the earth." (Sahih Bukhari Book 40, Hadith 553)

I know that letting a cat starve to death is a bad thing but it's hardly a "seriously messed up, evil thing" that the author is speaking of, and yet this woman was put in Hell for this deed.

As for the hypocrites, well, in a way, were all hypocrites. We all have social masks we use to hide our true selves from other people. We all crave to have the people around us think of us as good we all want people to like us. As a result, we sometimes make how other people see us a far more important part of our lives than how Allah sees us.
    He's playing with the words too much. No, we're not all munafiqun in a way. If we were, none of us would go to Heaven.

That being said, is it possible for someone who is not Muslim to fall under the Quranic description of the believer? From experience, I can safely say yes!. I know plenty of people who pray, meditate, fast, are extremely ethical and conscious of what they feed their bodies with, are constantly seeking answers to the big questions in life and yet are not Muslim because they were not born into Muslim families. Many of these people do not follow any religion, and some of them are atheists, sincerely seeking meaning in life. It seems obvious to me that if that person knew what I know of the Quran, they would believe in it whole-heartedly. If they were brought up how I was, and taught the Quran the way I was, of course they would believe in it as I do!
    According to Sheikh Al-Munajjid, people who hear the message of Islam in a sound and correct form and reject it, will have it as evidence aginst them on the Day of Judgement.

The brother is a bit too emotional, saying "dear beloved friends who are not Muslims," and he also misunderstands the concept of nifaq. He needs to know that true belief is Tawhid first and foremost, not one's actions. Those who ascribe to Shirk and atheism are the worst of people, it doesn't matter what their other actions are.

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
    ahmad10 (5th April 2012), Ibn Abbas Al-Misri (5th April 2012), muslimah911 (5th April 2012), Tuwaylib (5th April 2012)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast