Hadith grave punishment

This is a discussion on Hadith grave punishment within the Islamic Theology and Ideology forums, part of the Islamic Knowledge category; Assalamu 'Alaikoem brothers, I was searching for the punishments in the grave for another brother with prove from the hadiths ...

Default Hadith grave punishment

Assalamu 'Alaikoem brothers,

I was searching for the punishments in the grave for another brother with prove from the hadiths but suddenly I came an anti-islamic site which says wrong things but I want to know if there is a refutation of this? I am a bit confused about the fact that the Prophet (Sallallahoe aleyhi wesellem) was unaware of the punishment of the grave but later he after hearing from a Jew he received revelation that it's true. But I'll post the whole thing so you can see and my point is not fitnah (estagfirullah) I'm just a bit confused because of lack of knowledge and maybe other brothers are confused about it. Here it is also with hadiths he used from Bukhari Sahih but is it really authentic?

Punishment in the grave: Muhammad borrowed from Jews

Khalil Fariel

Muslims believe death is not the end. They believe the dead will be resurrected on a day to lead an eternal life, either in heaven or in hell.

Moreover, in Islam dead are questioned and punished before the resurrection day in their graves. The hadith from Sahih Bukhari testifies it:

Narrated Anas: The Prophet said, "When a human being is laid in his grave and his companions return and he even hears their foot steps, two angels come to him and make him sit and ask him: What did you use to say about this man, Muhammad ? He will say: I testify that he is Allah's slave and His Apostle. Then it will be said to him, 'Look at your place in the Hell-Fire. Allah has given you a place in Paradise instead of it.' The Prophet added, "The dead person will see both his places. But a non-believer or a hypocrite will say to the angels, 'I do not know, but I used to say what the people used to say! It will be said to him, 'Neither did you know nor did you take the guidance (by reciting the Quran).' Then he will be hit with an iron hammer between his two ears, and he will cry and that cry will be heard by whatever approaches him except human beings and Djinns." [Sahih Bukhari. Book 23: Hadith 422]

This notion of life in the grave, questioning and punishing, was borrowed from Jews. Muhammad hadnt had this idea before Jews of Medina alerted him of this. See the hadith from both Sahih sources:

Narrated Masruq: 'Aisha said that a Jewess came to her and mentioned the punishment in the grave, saying to her, "May Allah protect you from the punishment of the grave." 'Aisha then asked Allah's Apostle about the punishment of the grave. He said, "Yes, (there is) punishment in the grave." 'Aisha added, "After that I never saw Allah's Apostle but seeking refuge with Allah from the punishment in the grave in every prayer he prayed." [Sahih Bukhari. Book: 23, Hadith: 454]

The hadith recorded by Muslim is little more descriptive:

Aisha reported: The Holy Prophet entered my house when a Jewess was with me and she was saying: Do you know that you would be put to trial in the grave? The Messenger of Allah trembled on hearing this and said: It is the Jews only who would-be put to trial. Aisha said: We passed some nights and then the Messenger of Allah said: Do you know that it has been revealed to me:" You would be put to trial in the grave"? 'Aisha said: I heard the Messenger of Allah seeking refuge from the torment of the grave after this. [Sahih Muslim: Book 4, Hadith #1212]

See it in the first hadith by Bukhari. Aisha, Muhammads then child bride informs Muhammad of the Jewish account of punishment in the grave. Muhammad attests to it and afterwards he changes the structure of his prayer, assimilating another supplication in it. He hadnt got the idea of punishment in graves prior to the Jewesss intimation. More importantly, this incident occurs in Medina as Muhammad was not confronted with Jews while he was in Mecca.

So, we have a prophet of god here who was not having such a remarkable awareness throughout his Meccan and early Medinan life. It took a Jewess to alert him of the punishment in graves and thenceforth he had to modify his prayers. All these times he was praying without having this key element in his prayers!!? And Muslims still believe he is a prophet of god who didnt even had a clue on what is going to happen once humans die??!!

Besides, in the Sahih Muslim hadith, we see Muhammad trying to conciliate to his shortcoming by telling Aisha he got revealed from his god of the punishment in the grave. But Quran doesnt contain such a verse. We have to believe god revealed to Muhammad in a very clandestine manner of the punishment of graves after he is getting trembled at the news Jewess brought. His idea thus far had been, it would be Jews only who will be punished in graves. The Jewess sends shivers down his spine and soon he starts to believe in it in downright fright, without getting any revelations from his god. What a truthful prophet!

Muhammad was acting upon a Jewesss information. He got the idea of grave and punishment entirely from the Jewess, there is no verse can be seen in Quran of punishment in the graves. After all, we have a prophet here borrowing all including key prayers from Jews..!

Yet this profligate will not hesitate to curse Jews for erecting their prophets graves..!

Rep-manz

don't worry about this guy. 40:45-6 is proof for pog as well as the fact the ahadith are mutawatir and there is an ijmaa' from the salaf.
    "Sit with one whose limbs address you, not his mouth." Sahl ibn `Abd Allah ibn Yunus, Abu Muhammad al-Tustari (d. 283), may Allah be well-pleased with him.

: " " , : :

Ibn 'Umar said: "And do not let your words be in excess to your actions", Al-Baihaqi: Shu'ab al-Imaan and Ibn Hajar al-Asqalani: Al-Isaabah fee Taymeez as-Sahaaba

Quote Originally Posted by abu imaan an-nepalee View Post
    don't worry about this guy. 40:45-6 is proof for pog as well as the fact the ahadith are mutawatir and there is an ijmaa' from the salaf.
    Brother what do you mean? I want to know how to interpret these ahadith at best, it's not I don't believe that there is punishment in grave it's the point that a Jewess comes to 'Aisha radieyallahoe anha and asks Prophet sallallahoe alayhi wesellem and he answers in the negative and later he changes his mind as if he wasn't aware of it this is how the anti-islamic people claim but this is their interpretation but they cause confuse to people without knowledge like me, I mean is it really that after the Jewess came and Prophet knew that there was punishment in grave or ?

Rep-manz

no problem brother if you read inn kathir's tafsir of sura ghafir verses 40:45-6 he explains the issue there also ibn hajar's and al-qastalaani's sharh on bab maw jaa' fi 'adhabul qabr from sahih al bukhari and I think al-'ayni's sharh aswell explain this issue. As allahu a'lam
    "Sit with one whose limbs address you, not his mouth." Sahl ibn `Abd Allah ibn Yunus, Abu Muhammad al-Tustari (d. 283), may Allah be well-pleased with him.

: " " , : :

Ibn 'Umar said: "And do not let your words be in excess to your actions", Al-Baihaqi: Shu'ab al-Imaan and Ibn Hajar al-Asqalani: Al-Isaabah fee Taymeez as-Sahaaba

Ah nevermind I found the answer elhamdulillah, this wicked apostate illusionist distort the hadith and made it look like how he wanted but we can see in tafsirs and also hadiths that are Makki thus before the Medinite Jews which confirmed that there is torment in the grave.

Well anyway thanks for replying
    May Allah make us firm in our Iemaan and protect us from such wicked men.