Imam al shafi a sufi?!?!?!?!?

This is a discussion on Imam al shafi a sufi?!?!?!?!? within the Beliefs and Fundamentals forums, part of the Main Topics category; Asalamun Alykum wa wr wb Can somebody please explain these sayings by Imam Ash Shafi... Imam al-Shafi`i said: faqihan wa ...

Exclamation Imam al shafi a sufi?!?!?!?!?

Asalamun Alykum wa wr wb

Can somebody please explain these sayings by Imam Ash Shafi...

Imam al-Shafi`i said:

faqihan wa sufiyyan fa kun laysa wahidan
    fa inni wa haqqillahi iyyaka ansahu

(Be both) a faqih and a sufi: do not be only one of them,
    Verily, by Allahs truth, I am advising you sincerely.
    [al-Shafi`i, Diwan, (Beirut and Damascus: Dar al-fikr) p. 47]

Imam al-Shafi`i also said:

I accompanied the Sufis and received from them but three words: their statement that time is a sword: if you do not cut it, it cuts you; their statement that if you do not keep your ego busy with truth it will keep you busy with falsehood; their statement that deprivation is immunity.

(bn al-Qayyim in his Madarij al-salikin (3:128) and al- Suyuti in his Tayid al-haqiqa al-`aliyya (p. 15)

Ab Bakr Al-Siddq Allh be pleased with him said:
    I will not leave anything Allhs Messenger Allhs peace and blessings be upon him did, except that I will also do it; for I fear that if I were to leave any of his commands and ways I would deviate.

Anti-Talafist

Default Re: Imam al shafi a sufi?!?!?!?!?

Where is the problem?

Where did you see that Al-Shaafi'i said that we should sing while doing Tawaaf around graves?

Lightbulb Re: Imam al shafi a sufi?!?!?!?!?

So do you wanna tell us what did He(ra) meant by those statements..?

I mean clearly if a man says yeah lets break dance around graves..brother that's obvious that this individual is either a nut or a certified sufi lol...

I am not saying that Imam Al Shafi is a sufi...I just wanted a explanation on those statements..because where I live , there alot of Muslims who take his fiqh....
    I will not leave anything Allhs Messenger Allhs peace and blessings be upon him did, except that I will also do it; for I fear that if I were to leave any of his commands and ways I would deviate.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Abubakr1 View Post
    Asalamun Alykum wa wr wb

Can somebody please explain these sayings by Imam Ash Shafi...

Imam al-Shafi`i said:

faqihan wa sufiyyan fa kun laysa wahidan
    fa inni wa haqqillahi iyyaka ansahu

(Be both) a faqih and a sufi: do not be only one of them,
    Verily, by Allahs truth, I am advising you sincerely.
    [al-Shafi`i, Diwan, (Beirut and Damascus: Dar al-fikr) p. 47]

Imam al-Shafi`i also said:

I accompanied the Sufis and received from them but three words: their statement that time is a sword: if you do not cut it, it cuts you; their statement that if you do not keep your ego busy with truth it will keep you busy with falsehood; their statement that deprivation is immunity.

(bn al-Qayyim in his Madarij al-salikin (3:128) and al- Suyuti in his Tayid al-haqiqa al-`aliyya (p. 15)

could you please give this quote in Arabic?

Anti-Talafist

Well, there is good Soufis and bad "Soufis." TaSawwuf in the beggining was about dhikr, ihsaan, etc, not about break dancing around graves.

Like there is good salafees (following the salaf in everything) and bad "salafees." (I almost worship the king and I grow my beard. Do not forget the Saudi Qamis).

Banned

Isnad?

There are a lot of fabricated statements regarding Sufis (both for and against) attributed to the four Imams. They're all pretty spurious, as the Sufis were almost nonexistent as a group at their time. The Sufis really only started emerging as a distinct group around the time of Imam Ahmad, and his reactions were not favorable, even though these Sufis were much better than the Sufis of today.

Banned

[QUOTE=Abd al-Haqq Marshall;372936]Isnad?

There are a lot of fabricated statements regarding Sufis (both for and against) attributed to the four Imams.

Not only sufis, but shiites as well as any other controversial issues.
    Even during Malik's time people used to lie in his name just as they did with his contemporary Jafar b. Muhammad.

Dont forget about some of the statements clearly against sufism (specifically by name) Imam As-Shafi' has been quoted to have made. There are even some who quote him having sufi aqeedah, fabricating fatwa stating permissibility of bida' - kind of like al-fiqh al akbar with respect to Imam abu Hanifa, an entire book falsely attributed.

MACHHER : Dont forget about some of the statements clearly against sufism (specifically by name) Imam As-Shafi' has been quoted to have made. There are even some who quote him having sufi aqeedah, fabricating fatwa stating permissibility of bida' - kind of like al-fiqh al akbar with respect to Imam abu Hanifa, an entire book falsely attributed.

If Fiqh Al Akbar is falsely attributed to Imam Abu Hanifah..then who is it attributed to?