Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Muhammad Al-Saffarini (d. 1188)

This is a discussion on Muhammad Al-Saffarini (d. 1188) within the Beliefs and Fundamentals forums, part of the Main Topics category; His full name is: Muhammad b. Ahmad b. Salim b. Sulayman, al-Saffarini by birth, al-Nabulusi al-Hanbali He was born and ...

Peculiarly Ostrobogulous Expergefactionist's Avatar
    Follow Expergefactionist On Twitter Add Expergefactionist on Facebook Add Expergefactionist on Google+

Default Muhammad Al-Saffarini (d. 1188)

His full name is: Muhammad b. Ahmad b. Salim b. Sulayman, al-Saffarini by birth, al-Nabulusi al-Hanbali

He was born and raised in Saffarin (pronounced Saffaareen), a village in Nabulus, Palestine in the year 1114/1702, where he learned the Quran.

He then travelled to Damascus and studied under a few notables, such as ‘Abd al-Ghani al-Nabulusi al-Hanafi, Shams al-Din al-Ghazzi al-Shafi’i.

He studied Fiqh, Hadeeth and Tafseer under ‘Abd al-Qadir al-Taghlibi al-Hanbali and Mustafa al-Labadi al-Hanbali and many others.

After having acquired a strong grounding in various sciences, he returned to his village, Saffarin, and after a short stay, left for Nabulus to reside therein.

He is described by his students as having a lofty character, an awe-inspiring personality who would frequently busy himself with Allah’s remembrance (adhkar) and regularly pray the night prayers (qiyam al-layl), encouraging others to do the same.

He was also very courageous when commanding the good and forbidding the evil, in line with the Hanbali tradition, such that he would not fear anyone. Rather, he would be feared and held in awe by the rulers and the commoners alike.

He was also known for his ascetic (zuhd) qualities, such that he would hardly hoard anything of the world except books, for he was an enthusiastic book collector, and that is reflected by his writings that are usually crammed full of quotes from various works.

He authored many books, wrote poems on various issues. Some of his works include:

Sharh (A commentary on) Thulathiyat al-Imam Ahmad. ‘Thulathiyat al-Imam Ahmad’ refers to those narrations of Imam Ahmad that only have three narrators between himself and the Prophet – SallAllahu ‘alaihi wa-sallam. Such chains are the shortest chains of Imam Ahmad, and of course, the shorter the chain, the stronger the Hadeeth. Short chains are also indicative of a person’s status in Hadeeth. A short chain is technically referred to as: Isnad ‘Aali (i.e. a higher chain)

Ghidha al-Albab, his commentary on Mandhumat al-Adab which we are currently studying

Kashf al-Litham, his commentary on ‘Umdat al-Ahkam, in Fiqh of Hadeeth

al-Durra al-Mudhiyya fi ‘Aqd al-Firqa al-Mardhiyya, which is the poem in creed we intend to study

Lawami’ al-Anwar al-Bahiyya, his own commentary on his own aforementioned poem on creed.

He died in Shawwal of the year 1188/1774 in Nabulus and was buried the same day.
    A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new.

Albert Einstein

ss4
    Sister

Bismillah walhamdulillah,

asalamu wa alaykum

You know, I must say i've never heard of this Alim before, however this poem piqued my curiosity, especially since we are to learn Aqeedah lessons from it. I find it interesting indeed that we are going to get lessons in Aqeedah from classical peotry , Alhamdulillah. It's very exciting. He seems like an Alim who sought Ilm to teach it and not for fame or any other reason, and was what one can consider a true Zahid (reminds me of An Nawawi {RH}), insha'Allaah I hope that this summer insha'Allaah many of us who are taking these lessons really learn something od value and that well help us with our Islam and the importance of putting the time and serious effort in learning.

wa salamu alaykum
    Last edited by ss4; 17th June 2006 at 10:50 AM.
    I ask you: Is there anything better than Tawhid and Tawakkul?

ss4
    Sister

Bismillah walhamdulillah
    asalamu wa alaykum

Just wondering...are anymore lessons going to be posted soon?

Jazakhallah khair
    I ask you: Is there anything better than Tawhid and Tawakkul?

Follow Expergefactionist On Twitter Add Expergefactionist on Facebook Add Expergefactionist on Google+

Just wondering...are anymore lessons going to be posted soon?
    InshaaAllah in a couple of days.

wasalam

Albert Einstein

Rep-manz

As-sallamu 'alaikum

In light of the discussions of 'rotten apples and oranges', what is the status of Imaam as-Safarini amongst the hanabilah?

Well, what impression do you get after reading Rotten Apples and Oranges?

(btw, has the 'Hanbali' author of Apples and Oranges' retired? Where has he disappeared to?)

Quote Originally Posted by abu imaan an-nepalee
    As-sallamu 'alaikum

In light of the discussions of 'rotten apples and oranges', what is the status of Imaam as-Safarini amongst the hanabilah?

Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Abuz Zubair

(btw, has the 'Hanbali' author of Apples and Oranges' retired? Where has he disappeared to?)
    I believe he himself mentioned that he hasnt studied any of the major book sof the true hanaabila on the sufi forums, and hasnt made his presence since. he mentioned he followed the aqeedah of the asharee influence/sympathizing RizqAllah family from amongst the hanaabilah.

Q: Are there true hanaabilah still present in our time upon the asharee/kalaami aqaaid?? I heard they are in syria and shaam area...is thsi true???

allahu Alim

Rep-manz

I ment from the point of view how some people try use his statements as being of tafweed etc

Quote Originally Posted by abu imaan an-nepalee
    I ment from the point of view how some people try use his statements as being of tafweed etc
    ...and I too meant exactly from the same point of view.

50 pages or so of my rebuttal deals with just that, or so i thought

Albert Einstein

Rep-manz

...and I too meant exactly from the same point of view.

50 pages or so of my rebuttal deals with just that, or so i thought

lol! I know alhamdulillah! , Let me ask another way:

what do the books of tabaqa say about Imaam as-safarini(rh) and his 'aqeedah?

and I have that work on Imaam ash-shawkani's 'aqedah excellent maasha'ALLAH however there are some issues of sifaat that was mentioned in another book on the small compilation of tafseer of sura nazi'at by the brother who translated the small pamphlet on Imaam ahmed's book on salah (i've forgotten his name)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast