Peace be upon the Prophet salalahu alayhi wa salam

This is a discussion on Peace be upon the Prophet salalahu alayhi wa salam within the Islamic Theology and Ideology forums, part of the Islamic Knowledge category; Bismillah ar rahman ar raheem I wanted to ask if this is authentically reported from abdullah ibn masood ibn masood ...

Default Peace be upon the Prophet salalahu alayhi wa salam

Bismillah ar rahman ar raheem

I wanted to ask if this is authentically reported from abdullah ibn masood

ibn masood statement, "We said: Peace be on the Prophet salalahu alayhi wa salam clarifies that the companions radiallaahu anhum used to say, peace be on you O PROPHET in tashahud while the prophet salalahu alayhi wa salam was alive, but when he died, they ceased to do that, instead saying PEACE BE ON TGHE PROPHET. Undoubtedly this was with the endorsement of the prophet salalahu alayhi wa salam this is supported by the fact that Aaishah radiallahu anhaa would similarly teach the tashahhud in prayer with PEACE BE ON THE PROPHET as transmitted by siraaj in his musnad 9/1/2 and Mukhlis in al-fawaa'id 11/54/1 with two saheeh isnaads from her.

Ibn hajar says, "This addition shows clearly that they used to say Peace be on you O PRPOHET addressing him directly during his life, but when the Prophet salalahu alayhi wa salam died they stopped addressing him and mentioned him in the third person instead, saying peace be on the prophet. He also says in a different place, SUBKI said in sharh al minhaaj, after mentioning this narration from abu awaanah only "If this is authentically reported from the companions it proves that after his time it is not compulsory to address the Prophet salalahu alayhi wa salam directly in the greeting of peace, so one says PEACE BE ON THE PROPHET. (ibn hajar continues

This is authentic without a doubt (because it is established in sahih al bukhari) and I have also found strong support for it. Abdur razzaq said IBN juraij informed me 'Ataa informed me that the companioins used to say peace be on you O PROPHET while the Prophet salalahu alayhi wa salam was alive, but after he died, they would say peace be on the prpohet, and this is a saheeh isnaad. As for saeed bin mansoors narration from abu ubaidah bin abdullah bin masood who reported from his father that the prpohet salalahu alayhi wa salam taught them the tashahhud, and then he abdullah ibn masoood said it (the tashahud); ibn abbas said we used to say peace be upon you O prophet only while he was alive to which ibn masood replied, "This is how we were taught and this is how we teach it', it would appear that ibn abbas said this as a matter of discussion but ibn masood did not accept. However, the narration of abu mamar (narration of bukahri) is more authentic , s ince abu ubaidah did not hear (ahadeeth) from his father and furthermore the isnaad up to abu ubaidah is weak" (end of qoute from ibn hajar)

These words of ibn hajar have been qouted by several scholars in their analysis e.g. Qastalaani, zarqaani, lucknowi, etc. They alll chose to give his words without commenting further. This discussion is treated more fully in al-asl.

---------

I took this from the Prophets salalahu alayhi wa salam prayer DESCRIBED by shaykh nasir ud deen al albaani rahimullah the noble muhadith.

If this is truely authentic I find this also to be evidence to use against those who deem Tawassul through the Prophet salalahu alayhi wa salam after his death is wrong. For the sahabah clear stance. Similar is how they would say 'Allaah and his messenger salalahu alayhi wa salam knows best' but thereafter (the death of the nabi salalahu alayhi wa salam) they would say Allaah knows best.

I think this is beautiful evidence against those who exalt the Nabi salalahu alayhi wa salam in terms of how they view his life in barzakh.

Allaahu alim.
    s

Peculiarly Ostrobogulous Expergefactionist's Avatar
    Follow Expergefactionist On Twitter Add Expergefactionist on Facebook Add Expergefactionist on Google+

yes... excellent proof against addressing the Prophet directly after his death.
    A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new.

Albert Einstein

salaamu alaykum

I made a mistake, i said i find this to be proof against Those who deem tawasul through the nabi salalahu alayhi wa salam after his death is wrong. I meant to say Those who deem it to be permissible to call upon the nabi salalahu alayhi wa salam after his death.

As it indicates that his life in barzakh is not like our living. So we should not address him as he is hearing us. Or that he has the ability to hear us no matter where we are (as some amongst the sufiyyah will say Ya Nabi salalahu alayhi wa salam madad and other such forms ) to speak directly to him.

Just like the sahabah after the death of the noble prophet salalahu alayhi wa salam stopped saying Allaah and his messenger salalahu alayhi wa salam knows best, instead they after his death salalahu alayhi wa salam said ALLAH KNOWS BEST.

Their tawhid was very strick mashallaah. Such as umar radiallahu anhu kissing the black stone and saying he only kissed the blackstone because he saw the noble prophet salalahu alayhi wa salam do it.

The nabi salalahu alayhi wa salam in his lifetime was not all hearing and in his death similarly he is not to be addressed as if he is hearing.

allaahu alim