Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Choosing the easier opinions

This is a discussion on Choosing the easier opinions within the Islamic Law forums, part of the Islamic Knowledge category; Assalamu alaykum wa rahmatullah.. I don't want to slander the imam of my masjid at all. I respect him and ...

  1. #1
    Junior Member Mahyar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Toronto
    Age
    24
    Posts
    116

    Default Choosing the easier opinions

    Assalamu alaykum wa rahmatullah..

    I don't want to slander the imam of my masjid at all. I respect him and he has taught me a lot.
    He's a shafa'ee, and is teaching me shafa'e fiqh step by step, wa lillahi hamd.

    One thing he supports which is sort of a shock to me is, he says that we can take any opinion from any other school, when we want to. As long as it doesn't contradict a principle which would nullify let's say.. Your wudu, or Salah.

    For example, the Maliki madhab is known to have an easier ruling with regards to the Dog. I can take the maliki opinion when it comes to that.
    Or in salah al taraweeh, I can take the hanafi position of not reciting the Al Fatihah after the imam, in order to listen to the Quran being recited.
    Or a Hanafi can, take the shafi'i possition on the "Kafara" Which is when you break your fast intentionally , (with food) you don't have to fast 2 months consecutively...

    From listening to deobandi scholars/da3e's which got me interested in following a madhab in the first place, they said.....
    "If you take one opinion from another madhab, you need to take everything from that madhab"
    "Don't follow your desires"

    The argument of my imam was... Following your desires would be to take an opinion that a scholar may of said in absolute error.
    For example "passing wind doesn't break wudu" or...... "Anal intercourse is permissible"
    Like extreme cases...

    Because if you think about it... The claim of the madhabi's are.. "All madhabs are correct, they all have legitamate ijtihad that can be followed"
    So.. How can one stop me from taking opinions from any, when they are all correct? Of course relying on one is fine, and preferred, but when it comes down to certain situations which may cause discomfort, why not take the easy opinions? They are all within the shariah... So how can one tell you , that you can't ?

    What are your views?
    "Increase in your remembrance of the destroyer of pleasures ....(ie. death)
    - Prophet Muhammad salla Allahu alayhis wa salam


  2. #2
    Senior Member junaid123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    840

    Default Re: Choosing the easier opinions

    Quote Originally Posted by Mahyar View Post
    For example "passing wind doesn't break wudu" or...... "Anal intercourse is permissible"
    which scholar even holds such view? do their exist any!

  3. #3
    Human IbnMuhammed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    2,087

    Default Re: Choosing the easier opinions

    Quote Originally Posted by Mahyar View Post
    The argument of my imam was... Following your desires would be to take an opinion that a scholar may of said in absolute error.
    For example "passing wind doesn't break wudu" or...... "Anal intercourse is permissible"
    Like extreme cases...

    Because if you think about it... The claim of the madhabi's are.. "All madhabs are correct, they all have legitamate ijtihad that can be followed"
    So.. How can one stop me from taking opinions from any, when they are all correct? Of course relying on one is fine, and preferred, but when it comes down to certain situations which may cause discomfort, why not take the easy opinions? They are all within the shariah... So how can one tell you , that you can't ?

    What are your views?
    Never heard this in my life. As far as I know, going with desires means exactly what it says, going with desires, not going with desires if the scholar is wrong. Thats going with desires if the scholar is wrong.
    They're two completley different things.
    "Pay attention to your heart, beware of raising yourself above others, and beware of belittling others"
    Sheikh Abdullah Azzam

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Age
    30
    Posts
    951

    Default Re: Choosing the easier opinions

    "All madhabs are correct, they all have legitamate ijtihad that can be followed"
    So.. How can one stop me from taking opinions from any, when they are all correct?
    Makes sense to me.

  5. #5
    Prospicient Prolix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    3,517

    Default Re: Choosing the easier opinions

    wa 'alaykum salaam wa rahmatullaahi wa barakatuhu

    Brother, I just have one thing to advise...

    Read through all of this first: http://forums.islamicawakening.com/f...-taql-d-33412/

    And then post. Or better yet - post in that thread, get the answers you're looking for.

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    52

    Default Re: Choosing the easier opinions

    The focus of that thread is the permissibility of following other than one's own school.
    This Imam seems to be allowing this in order to follow the easier fatwa for every school. Not sure which scholars actually allowed this.
    Basically one is now seeking out the easiest opinion for all 4 schools when the requirement for the layman is that he seek out the fatwa for his problem and then stick to it. In this case, one is going to be fatwa shopping and then implementing the easier opinion.

    Br. HH or justabro, any comments?

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    1,286

    Default Re: Choosing the easier opinions

    Because if you think about it... The claim of the madhabi's are.. "All madhabs are correct, they all have legitamate ijtihad that can be followed"
    So.. How can one stop me from taking opinions from any, when they are all correct? Of course relying on one is fine, and preferred, but when it comes down to certain situations which may cause discomfort, why not take the easy opinions? They are all within the shariah... So how can one tell you , that you can't ?

    What are your views?
    walaykum as-Salaam wa Rahmatullaah

    Your Imaam deserves a high five for that!

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    712

    Default Re: Choosing the easier opinions

    Salaam Alaikum,

    The saying is 'whoever collects the mistakes of the scholars becomes a zindeeq' and 'easier opinions' are not 'mistakes.'

    You're not honor-bound to follow everything in Radd al-Muhtar by choosing to follow the Hanafi mad'hab in terms of prayer or something. If the positions of the mad'habs are legitimate, then the only argument against following whatever fatwa you end up getting from whomever you end up getting it from is that it leads to following desires, which is a specious notion at best. Anyone who wants to follow desires will follow desires; a mad'hab is not some kind of instant-cure. Just look at how many people identify as 'Hanafis' but don't pray sunnah or have no beard or what-have-you.
    The Prophet Muhammad (صلى الله عايه و سلم) is reported to have said, "No one had ever been given anything better than patience." (Bukhari, Muslim)

  9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Patience For This Useful Post:
    Abu'l 'Eyse (10th February 2014), Al Muhajir (8th September 2011)

  10. #9
    Oudh Burnerrrr الحصان الأسود's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Mu'attaq & Mubakhar
    Posts
    1,632

    Default Re: Choosing the easier opinions

    Quote Originally Posted by Bilal_123 View Post
    The focus of that thread is the permissibility of following other than one's own school.
    This Imam seems to be allowing this in order to follow the easier fatwa for every school. Not sure which scholars actually allowed this.
    Basically one is now seeking out the easiest opinion for all 4 schools when the requirement for the layman is that he seek out the fatwa for his problem and then stick to it. In this case, one is going to be fatwa shopping and then implementing the easier opinion.

    Br. HH or justabro, any comments?
    This is an interesting subject. But what if somebody takes all Fatawa from i.e. IslamQA site, and looks for no other solution? Is that not blind following IslamQA Shuyukh?
    Another thing is I believe Islam didn't come to make our life harder, but easier, is that not true?

    Some folks take everything from Ibn Taymiyyah (except things that are available now and were not in his lifetime) or al Albani, would this not be blind following? So now we have so-called "Fatwa shopping" (I hate to name it as such!) vs. "blind following"? Is there a middle path?

  11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to الحصان الأسود For This Useful Post:
    Abu'l 'Eyse (10th February 2014), Al Muhajir (8th September 2011)

  12. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    712

    Default Re: Choosing the easier opinions

    Quote Originally Posted by الحصان الأسود View Post
    This is an interesting subject. But what if somebody takes all Fatawa from i.e. IslamQA site, and looks for no other solution? Is that not blind following IslamQA Shuyukh?
    Another thing is I believe Islam didn't come to make our life harder, but easier, is that not true?

    Some folks take everything from Ibn Taymiyyah (except things that are available now and were not in his lifetime) or al Albani, would this not be blind following? So now we have so-called "Fatwa shopping" (I hate to name it as such!) vs. "blind following"? Is there a middle path?
    The question is the relevant one in the Sunniforum Taqlid thread, not what laymen do- because whatever laymen do is 'blind following' by definition- as they are being led regardless.

    The question being 'is one duty-bound to take all the muta'mad positions of mad'hab X or can one ask any scholar, even if the layman knows that the mad'hab the scholar issues fatwa in accordance with has an easier position on amal Y?'

    Most say 'yes, because it's still a valid opinion.' The ahnaf of the subcontinent say 'no, because to leave your mad'hab is the same thing as following desires.'
    The Prophet Muhammad (صلى الله عايه و سلم) is reported to have said, "No one had ever been given anything better than patience." (Bukhari, Muslim)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Choosing a Husband
    By UmmAbdulazeez in forum Ethics and Spirituality
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 20th March 2011, 06:19 PM
  2. Choosing The Desired Wife
    By Мармеладка in forum Family Life
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 22nd December 2008, 04:38 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 7th December 2008, 06:58 PM
  4. Noam Chomsky on choosing the lesser of the two evil.
    By Skillganon in forum Global Affairs
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 9th November 2008, 01:56 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41