Duration of jumuah khutbah

This is a discussion on Duration of jumuah khutbah within the Islamic Law forums, part of the Islamic Knowledge category; As salamu aleykum, The local mosque offers on Friday always a long Khutbah of approx. 45 minutes. Is this not ...

Default Duration of jumuah khutbah

As salamu aleykum,

The local mosque offers on Friday always a long Khutbah of approx. 45 minutes.

Is this not against the Sunnah, as in the Sunnah we are commanded to shorten the Khutbah of Friday as mentioned in ahadith in Sahih Muslim and Sunan Abu Dawud, Nasai etc ?

I read in a fatwa:

The khutbah should be to the extend of the tiwaal e mufassal (i.e the Surahs between Surah Hujurat and Surah Burooj) (Badaa’i as sanaa’i 1/591, (Fataawaa Alamgiri 1/161 Dar al kutub al ilmiyah) It is makrooh to lengthen the khutbah more than this.

Is this true?

A other Mosque i am going is making the Khutbah for the duration of about 10 minutes, is this according to the Sunnah?

How many minutes where the khutbah of the Prophet (saw) ?

Was salaam

الفقير الى الله

Default Re: Duration of jumuah khutbah

بسم الله الرحمن الرحيم

وعليكم السلام ورحمة الله وبركاته

My beloved brother AbuNajm,

You should know - May Allah preserve you - that shortening the Khutba is recommended and not an obligation on the one who delivers the Khutba. Furthermore, shortening the Khutba is advisable not because of a virtue concerning the lentgh of the khubta but rather to show a virtue in the speaker i.e. Fiqh and Balaghaa. That said, Khutba should be delivered without adding what is not needed but instead to address the topic with straight forward words that carry the meanings fully in sound manner.

There is no set time for Khutba and the lentgh depends on the occasion and the situation of people. However, knowing how it is today, most khutba are one hour long that anyone can sum it up in 5 minutes which shows you the weakness of the one who gave the Khutba and the lack of having the virtue that the Prophet (صلى الله عليه وسلم) mentioned.

To sum it up: It is not about how long the Khutba lasts but rather would the topic of the Khutba require long time or short time. If the topic can be summed up in 5 minuites yet delivered in 1 hour then this opposing the Sunnah and if it was a topic that require 1 hour but was delievered in 5 minutes then this is condemned as well. So, it is about to give the topic its time while ensuring having the talk short and straight forward. This is only those who are experienced in it and normally they are Quran memorizers and know Arabic very well.

Wallahu A'lam
    اللهم أجبلني على ما جبلت أشج عبد قيس
    واجعل إنتصاري وغضبي لك وحدك فلك الحمد ولك المنة
    واعصمني من الجدل والمراء وكثرة الكلام والسفه
    فبك أستعين وبك أعوذ وعليك التكلان