Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Fiqh of Ramadan (seasonal sticky)

This is a discussion on Fiqh of Ramadan (seasonal sticky) within the Islamic Law forums, part of the Islamic Knowledge category; As salaamu alaykum, Is there any way we can open a thread on the fiqh of Ramadan?...

Default Fiqh of Ramadan (seasonal sticky)

As salaamu alaykum,

Is there any way we can open a thread on the fiqh of Ramadan?
    وأطيعوا الله والرسول لعلكم ترحمون

And obey Allah and the Messenger that you may obtain mercy. [3:132]

Default Ramadan

walaykum sallam masallah that would be nice.

I got stuck on the bakhoor one today,i.e dose inhaling burning bakhoor invalidate the fast or is this a common misconception amongst us,jzk for any info,Allah taqbil syamukum........

iPetal

Default Missed fasts Ramadan & Shawwal

السلام عليكم و رحمة الله و بركاته

1) If you have missed days of fasting this Ramadan can you combine intentions and make up the missed day(s) and fast one of the six from Shawwal at the same time or do you have to fast separate days for both?

2) If you have missed days of fasting from previous Ramadans (from many many years ago when one wasn't practising) can you combine intentions with the naafilah fasts of Shawwal of the current year (having fasted Ramadan completely that year)?

(According to Islamq&a you can't combine for fasts missed from the latest Ramadan and Shawwal but I learnt years ago that you could make up missed Ramadan fasts with other naafilah fasts, and it wasn't mentioned if there was a difference between make ups of the latest Ramadan or Ramadan ten years ago)

Basically, is there a difference in combining intentions for obligatory make up fasts with other naafilah fasts (in this case Shawwal) from the latest Ramadans and older Ramadans?

جزا ك الله خيرا

والسلام عليكم و رحمة الله و بركاته

Rep-manz

Default Re: Missed fasts Ramadan & Shawwal

wa-'alaikum as-salaam wa rahmatullahi wa Barakatuhu

Taken from Islam Q&A Fatwa #1693

Combining two intentions in one fast – the issue of overlapping acts of worship
    Is it possible to combine the intention of fasting the three days in each month with the intention to fast the Day of ‘Arafaah? Will we receive two rewards?

Praise be to Allaah.
    Combining acts of worship is of two types:
    One type is not correct, which is in the case of acts of worship which are independent or are part of another. In these cases, intentions cannot be combined. For example, if a man misses the Sunnah of Fajr, and the sun comes up and the time for Salaat al-Duhaa comes, the Sunnah of Fajr cannot take the place of Salaat al-Duhaa, or vice-versa. They cannot be combined, because the Sunnah of Fajr is independent, and Salaat al-Duhaa is independent, and neither of them can take the place of the other.
    The same applies if an act is connected to the one that comes before it – they cannot be combined. So if a man says, “I want to have the intention of praying both fard and sunnah when I pray Fajr,” we would tell him that this is not correct, because the Sunnah (of Fajr) is directly connected to the Fard, and cannot take its place.
    The second type is where what is intended is not a specific act of worship. In this case, intentions may be combined. For example: a man enters the mosque where the people are praying Salaat al-Fajr. It is known that when a man enters the mosque, he should not sit down until he prays two rak’ahs, so if he joins the imaam in that prayer, this is good enough. Why? Because the point is that he should pray two rak’ahs when he enters the mosque. Similarly, if a man enters the mosque at the time of Salaat al-Duhaa and prays two rak’ahs with the intention of praying Salaat al-Duhaa, he does not have to pray Tahiyyat al-Masjid as well, but if he has the intention of both, that is better. This is the guideline for combining acts of worship.
    In the case of fasting, fasting the Day of ‘Arafaah, for example, means that when this day comes you will be fasting, whether you intended it as one of the three days which you fast every month or as the Day of ‘Arafaah. But if you intended it as the Day of ‘Arafaah, it will not count as one of the three days; but if you intended it as one of the three days, that is good enough and will count as the Day of ‘Arafaah too. If you intended both, that is preferable.

(Liqa’ al-Baab al-Maftooh by Ibn ‘Uthaymeen, 51/19)
    "Sit with one whose limbs address you, not his mouth." Sahl ibn `Abd Allah ibn Yunus, Abu Muhammad al-Tustari (d. 283), may Allah be well-pleased with him.

قال إبن عمر: "ولا يكن في قولك فضل على فعلك" ,أخرج البيهقي: شعب الإيمان وابن حجر العسقلاني: الإصابة في تمييز الصحابة

Ibn 'Umar said: "And do not let your words be in excess to your actions", Al-Baihaqi: Shu'ab al-Imaan and Ibn Hajar al-Asqalani: Al-Isaabah fee Taymeez as-Sahaaba

الفقير الى الله

Quote Originally Posted by petal View Post
    السلام عليكم و رحمة الله و بركاته
    وعليكم السلام ورحمة الله وبركاته

1) If you have missed days of fasting this Ramadan can you combine intentions and make up the missed day(s) and fast one of the six from Shawwal at the same time or do you have to fast separate days for both?
    This is acceptable according to latter Shafie scholars who still stated that reward will be not as if you fasted each seperatly. However, the correct view that you cannot combine intentions in such case. wallahu A'lam

2) If you have missed days of fasting from previous Ramadans (from many many years ago when one wasn't practising) can you combine intentions with the naafilah fasts of Shawwal of the current year (having fasted Ramadan completely that year)?
    Same as above.

Wallahu A'lam
    اللهم أجبلني على ما جبلت أشج عبد قيس
    واجعل إنتصاري وغضبي لك وحدك فلك الحمد ولك المنة
    واعصمني من الجدل والمراء وكثرة الكلام والسفه
    فبك أستعين وبك أعوذ وعليك التكلان

Quote Originally Posted by petal View Post

Wa Alaykum As Salam

Here is a reply to your question: Islam Question and Answer - He has repented from not praying and fasting; does he have to make up what he missed?

I believe that the correct view of the one who does not practice ie: pray or fast, is that he is a kafir.

iPetal

Quote Originally Posted by Abu Adam An-Nepalee View Post
    wa-'alaikum as-salaam wa rahmatullahi wa Barakatuhu

Taken from Islam Q&A Fatwa #1693 ...
    جزاك الله خيرا I'd already read that.

Quote Originally Posted by Ayman bin Khaled View Post
    ...وعليكم السلام ورحمة الله وبركاته
    جزاك الله خيرا I must have been taught the later opinion then.

Quote Originally Posted by abumuwahid View Post
    Wa Alaykum As Salam...
    جزاك الله خيرا (I didn't ask the question whilst following the opinion that not fasting makes you a kafir, hence my phrasing of the question.)

Rep-manz

Wa iyyakum dear brother.......
    "Sit with one whose limbs address you, not his mouth." Sahl ibn `Abd Allah ibn Yunus, Abu Muhammad al-Tustari (d. 283), may Allah be well-pleased with him.

قال إبن عمر: "ولا يكن في قولك فضل على فعلك" ,أخرج البيهقي: شعب الإيمان وابن حجر العسقلاني: الإصابة في تمييز الصحابة

Ibn 'Umar said: "And do not let your words be in excess to your actions", Al-Baihaqi: Shu'ab al-Imaan and Ibn Hajar al-Asqalani: Al-Isaabah fee Taymeez as-Sahaaba

Muslim Female
    Umm

If you have missed days of fasting this Ramadan can you combine intentions and make up the missed day(s) and fast one of the six from Shawwal at the same time or do you have to fast separate days for both?
    The hadith mentions "whoever fasts the month of ramadhan.." If you have missed fasts, then you haven't fasted the month of Ramadhan. I can't see that you could use the 6 days of Shawwal to make up for missed Ramadhan fasts, because say for example a woman misses 6 fasts due to menses. If she uses 6 days of shawwal to make up these fasts, she has still only fasted a month. She hasn't fasted an extra 6 days nafl.

I know islamqa says that the missed fard fasts should be made up before doing the shawwal fasts. What I want to know is, if for example a woman misses 7 days fasting in Ramadhan for menses. In the month of shawwal we have 29 or 30 days. The 1st of Shawwal is Eid. So that leaves 28-29 days to make up the missed fasts. Now if we take off another 7 days or so for that month's menses, we are left with 21-22 to make up the 7 days. If we take away the 6 days of Shawwal in addition, that only leaves about about 10 days in the whole month where the woman is not fasting or on her menses. Obviously if one falls ill during that time, there is a good chance that one might not be able to do the shawwal fasts in time.

So, what I wanted to know is this: if a woman fasts the 6 shawwal fasts and then the missed fasts after e.g. in dhul Qa'dah, is it sinful? Or is it pointless to fast the shawwal ones first, if the fard ones haven't been made up, as one would not get the reward of fasting all year round, as the wording of the hadith indicates that the ramadhan fasts have to be done first, before the shawwal ones?
    "There is accountability in blood and money."
    Shaheed Sheikh Anwar al Awlaqi rahimahullah

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast