Hunting

This is a discussion on Hunting within the Islamic Law forums, part of the Islamic Knowledge category; Assalamo Alaykum wr wb, What is the ruling for hunting for "sport" as they say? Not permitted?...

Not a Wobbler

Default Hunting

Assalamo Alaykum wr wb,

What is the ruling for hunting for "sport" as they say? Not permitted?

Formerly Harris Hammam
    Follow Ismail Ibrahim On Twitter Add Ismail Ibrahim on Facebook

Default Re: Hunting

It is impermissible. Sport is not an excuse to take the life of an animal.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ismail Ibrahim For This Useful Post:
    Abu-Asiya (15th April 2012), ahmad10 (14th April 2012), Ibn Jafar (14th April 2012)

Quote Originally Posted by Harris Hammam View Post
    It is impermissible. Sport is not an excuse to take the life of an animal.
    1. What about if the intention is not purely for sport or purely for food?

Like for instance, if a group of men are out in the desert and they have enough food with them to eat comfortably but the see some game are tempted to hunt and eat it....would that be permissible?

They could be tempted for any random reason like animal looks tasty, adrelinene rush, youth playing a game with eachother of who can catch it first, they want to take the meet back and sell it...etc

2. Also, one more question on the topic of hunting. I don't mean to sound silly or too theoretical but are hyenas (animals from the cat family) halaal because I read that in a fatwaa but wanted to confirm it?
    Last edited by umm hafsa; 14th April 2012 at 09:56 PM.
    No signature to be found.

Formerly Harris Hammam

Quote Originally Posted by umm hafsa View Post
    1. What about if the intention is not purely for sport or purely for food?

Like for instance, if a group of men are out in the desert and they have enough food with them to eat comfortably but the see some game are tempted to hunt and eat it....would that be permissible?

They could be tempted for any random reason like animal looks tasty, adrelinene rush, youth playing a game with eachother of who can catch it first, they want to take the meet back and sell it...etc
    Well if it is to make the animal Halal for consumption, that is ok.

2. Also, one more question on the topic of hunting. I don't mean to sound silly or too theoretical but are hyenas (animals from the cat family) halaal because I read that in a fatwaa but wanted to confirm it?
    The Hanafis say it is Haram. Some others say it is Halal.

Yuck.

Quote Originally Posted by Harris Hammam View Post
    The Hanafis say it is Haram.
    Hambalis also, according to Sheikh Abdullah Azzam - http://www.kalamullah.com/Books/the-...n-the-west.pdf
    Third from last paragraph on page 18
    "Pay attention to your heart, beware of raising yourself above others, and beware of belittling others"
    Sheikh Abdullah Azzam

Yesterday I learnt that hanafis consider it haraam but hanabilaa???

I think I have found the fatwaa where it is claimed that hambalis consider it halaal. I have pasted it below:

The narration you are asking about is reported in book of Imaam At-Tirmithi from Abu 'Ammaar that he asked Jaabir "Is hyena considered as game?" He said, "Yes." He asked, "Can I eat it?" He said, "Yes." He asked, "Have you heard this from Allah's Messenger ?" He said, "Yes." [Ahmad, At-Tirmithi] Another narration added: "If one hunts hyena in the state of Ihram he has to slaughter a ram." [Abu Daawood and Ibn Maajah]
    Imaams Ash-Shaafi'ee, Ahmad, Is-Haaq are of the opinion that eating hyena is lawful. Imaam Ash-Shaafi'ee said: 'People have been eating and selling it (hyena) between As-Safah and Al-Marwah without any objection because Arabs like it and find it delicious.'
    Imaam Abu Haneefah considered it forbidden. He cited the following narration as basis for his saying. The Prophet said: "Eating every beast of prey that has a canine tooth is forbidden." [Al-Bukhaari and Muslim]
    The first opinion is preponderant since the narration that allows eating hyena particularly addressed the issue, while the other narration is general. So, it is preferred over other one.
    Allaah knows best.

Source is islamic web^
    No signature to be found.

Formerly Harris Hammam

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Ismail Ibrahim For This Useful Post:
    IbnMuhammed (15th April 2012)

Yesterday I learnt that hanafis consider it haraam but hanabilaa???

I think I have found the fatwaa where it is claimed that hambalis consider it halaal. I have pasted it below:

The narration you are asking about is reported in book of Imaam At-Tirmithi from Abu 'Ammaar that he asked Jaabir "Is hyena considered as game?" He said, "Yes." He asked, "Can I eat it?" He said, "Yes." He asked, "Have you heard this from Allah's Messenger ?" He said, "Yes." [Ahmad, At-Tirmithi] Another narration added: "If one hunts hyena in the state of Ihram he has to slaughter a ram." [Abu Daawood and Ibn Maajah]
    Imaams Ash-Shaafi'ee, Ahmad, Is-Haaq are of the opinion that eating hyena is lawful. Imaam Ash-Shaafi'ee said: 'People have been eating and selling it (hyena) between As-Safah and Al-Marwah without any objection because Arabs like it and find it delicious.'
    Imaam Abu Haneefah considered it forbidden. He cited the following narration as basis for his saying. The Prophet said: "Eating every beast of prey that has a canine tooth is forbidden." [Al-Bukhaari and Muslim]
    The first opinion is preponderant since the narration that allows eating hyena particularly addressed the issue, while the other narration is general. So, it is preferred over other one.
    Allaah knows best.

Source is islamic web^
    Exactly the evidence, and almost exactly the same thing Sheikh Abdullah Azzam mentions, Apoart from saying Hanabilla permit it, Wallahu'alam
    "Pay attention to your heart, beware of raising yourself above others, and beware of belittling others"
    Sheikh Abdullah Azzam

You DON'T wanna know! Nazeelu Chinguetti's Avatar

Just found this old thread and wanted to comment on it.

As for beasts then Malikis considered it only makruh. And the Karahah is taken from a rule known as 'Mura'aat ul-Khilaf'. So according to them it's halal but they said its makruh since there are scholars who considered it haram. So they took others opinion into consideration.

But there's another narration from Imam Malik as well that says its haram. This is the narration of al-Muwatta'. And this is al-Lakhmi's opinion from al-Malikiyyah.

Al-Lakhmi has a good discussion on this topic in his masterwork al-Tabsirah.

He mentions the verse Malikis use

ٰ ۚ

Then he says that the Hadith prohibiting siba' came after acting upon this verse which is 'aam while the Hadith is Khas.

Now If the Mukhasis comes after acting upon the Aam then its Naskh only in the issue where the contradicted each other.

Now there's another problem the Hadith is Ahad and can a Hadith Ahad do Naskh to a muttawatir? Those who say it can used this Hadith as evidence.
    Last edited by Nazeelu Chinguetti; 28th February 2013 at 02:39 PM.

You DON'T wanna know! Nazeelu Chinguetti's Avatar

Another issue related to this is when your are necessitated to eat something haram and you can choose between something all scholars agreed on being haram and something they disagreed on the you have to choose what they disagreed on such as beasts.
    Last edited by Nazeelu Chinguetti; 28th February 2013 at 02:40 PM.