Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Not praying is kufr

This is a discussion on Not praying is kufr within the Islamic Law forums, part of the Islamic Knowledge category; Not praying is kufr Bismil-lahir-Rahmanir-Rahim http://www.islam-qa.com/en/ref/103291 Shaykh Muhammad ibn Saalih al-Uthaymeen (may Allaah have mercy on ...

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    2

    Default Not praying is kufr

    Not praying is kufr

    Bismil-lahir-Rahmanir-Rahim
    http://www.islam-qa.com/en/ref/103291
    Shaykh Muhammad ibn Saalih al-Uthaymeen (may Allaah have mercy on him) said:
    Not praying is kufr which puts one beyond the pale of Islam. If he has a wife,then his marriage to her is annulled,meat slaughtered by him is not permissible,his fasting and charity will not be accepted,and it is not permissible for him to go to Makkah and enter the Haram; if he dies it is not permissible for him to be washed or shrouded,or the funeral prayer to be offered for him,or for him to be buried with the Muslims.Rather he should be taken out into the desert,and a ditch dug for him,and he should be buried into it. If a persons relative dies and he knows that he did not pray, it is not permissible for him to deceive the people by bringing him to them for them to offer the funeral prayer for him,because offering the funeral prayer for a kaafir is haraam, as Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

    And never (O Muhammad pbuh) pray (funeral prayer) for any of them (hypocrites) who dies,nor stand at his grave.Certainly they disbelieved in Allaah and His Messenger,and died while they were Faasiqoon (rebellious,
    disobedient to Allaah and His Messenger pbuh) [al-Tawbah 9:84]

    It is not (proper) for the Prophet and those who believe to ask Allaahs forgiveness for the Mushrikoon,even though they be of kin,after it has become clear to them that they are the dwellers of the Fire (because they died in a state of disbelief)[al-Tawbah 9:113]
    MajmooFataawa al-Shaykh IbnUthaymeen (12/question no.26)

    Can a person be excused for not praying because he is
    unaware that it is obligatory?
    http://www.islam-qa.com/en/ref/104412


    Bismil-lahir-Rahmanir-Rahim

    Shaykh Abd al-Azeez ibn Baaz (may Allaah have mercy on him) said:
    Anybody who is accountable and dies when he is not praying, is a disbeliever; he should not be washed,the funeral prayer should not be offered for him and he should not be buried in the Muslim graveyard; his relatives do not inherit from him, rather his wealth belongs to the bayt al-maal of the Muslims according to the more correct scholarly view,because the Prophet (blessings and peace of Allah be upon him) said in this saheeh hadeeth:
    Between a man and shirk and kufr there stands his giving up prayer.. Narrated by Imam Muslim in his Saheeh;
    And because the Prophet (blessings and peace of Allah be upon him) said:
    The covenant that stands between us and them is prayer; whoever does not pray has disbelieved. narrated by Imam Ahmad and the authors of al-Sunan with a saheeh isnaad,from Buraydah (may Allaah be pleased with him).
    Fataawa al-Shaykh Ibn Baaz (10/250).

    His friend became an atheist then he died.
    Can he offer the funeral prayer for him and say duaa for him?
    http://www.islam-qa.com/en/ref/127296

    A friend of mine who died a few days ago was born to a muslim family and raised as a muslim but the last few years he has been a non-muslim, i.e. claiming himself to be an atheist and not believing in our religion at all.We have had verbal fights about this as well. I was wondering if it's ok to pray for him and go to his funeral since his family is having an islamic funeral. Please let me know as soon as possible. Thank you for your advice in advance.

    Praise be to Allaah.
    If the matter is as you describe,and your friend became an atheist and did not believe in Islam,and he died in that state, as appears to be the case,then it is not permissible for the one who knew his situation to offer the funeral prayer for him or to say duaa for him,or to wash him or shroud him or bury him in the Muslim graveyard,because Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):
    It is not (proper) for the Prophet and those who believe to ask Allaahs forgiveness for the Mushrikoon, even though they be of kin, after it has become clear to them that they are the dwellers of the Fire (because they died in a state of disbelief) [al-Tawbah 9:113]


    And never (O Muhammad pray (funeral prayer) for any of them (hypocrites) who dies, nor stand at his grave.Certainly they disbelieved in Allaah and His Messenger,and died while they were Faasiqoon (rebellious, disobedient to Allaah and His Messenger) [al-Tawbah 9:84].

    Muslim (976) narrated that Abu Hurayrah said:
    The messenger of Allaah (blessings and peace of Allaah be upon him) said:
    I asked my Lord for permission to pray for forgiveness for my mother but He did not give me permission. And I asked Him for permission to visit her grave and He gave me permission.
    This is evidence that it is not permissible to say duaa for one who died in a state of shirk or kufr.
    See also question number 7869 and 7867.

    Attending the funeral of a non-Muslim neighbour
    Fatva al-Lajnah al-Daaimah, 9/10
    www.ummah.com
    www.islam-qa.com/en/ref/2278

    Bismil-lahir-Rahmanir-Rahim
    Question:
    Attending a non-Muslim neighbor's funeral:
    According to one hadith of the Prophet(pbuh)ralated by Tabarani regarding the rights neighbors it says:
    "The rights of the neighbor is that,when he is sick you visit him; when he dies,you go to his funeral;......"
    Since this hadith is talking about neighbors and the neighbor can be a non-muslim,
    so is it permissible for the Muslim to attend a non-Muslim's funeral?
    Please shed light on this issue in accordance with the Qur'an and the Hadith.
    Also this issue is very important for the new Muslims whose parents have not accepted Islam. Is it permissible to attend a funeral for the non-Muslim parents?
    May Allah (swt) bless you. Ameen.
    Answer:
    Praise be to Allaah.
    It is permissible for a Muslim to attend a kaafirs funeral if the kaafir is a relative,
    such as a mother,father, brother or other relative,but it is not permissible to join in the prayers or any other rites of their religion.
    Zakariya al-Ansaari (may Allaah have mercy on him) said:
    He may (i.e., it is allowed for the Muslim and is not makrooh) attend in the funeral of a kaafir relative, because of the report narrated by Abu Dawood from Ali who said, When Abu Taalib died,I came to the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) and said, Your uncle,the misguided old man, has died. He said, Go and bury him. (Reported by al-Nisaa'i, 190).
    As for visiting graves, in al-Majmoo it says:
    The correct view is that this is permissible,and most scholars said this,because of the hadeeth narrated by Muslim in which the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said:
    I asked my Lord for permission to ask for forgiveness for my mother, and He did not give me permission; I asked Him for permission to visit her grave,and He gave me permission. (Asnaa al-Mataalib Sharh Rawd al-Taalib, part 1,Fasl: Mashiy al-Mashee lil-Janaazah).

    What should a Muslim son do for his kaafir father when he dies?
    www.islam-propagation.com/
    (al-Silsilah al-Sahiha,by Sheikh al-Albaani, nr.161)

    It was narrated in a saheeh hadeeth that Naajiyah ibn Kab narrated that Ali ibn Abi Taalib (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: I said to the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him),Your old,misguided uncle has died (he was referring to his father Abu Taalib). Who will bury him?
    He said, Go and bury your father. said, I will not bury him, for he died as a mushrik.
    He said, Go and bury him, then do not do anything until you come to me.
    So I went and buried him, then I came to him with traces of dust and earth on me. He told me to wash myself, then he made duaa for me in words that were more precious to me than everything on earth.

    The Shaikh al-Albaani said,commenting on this hadeeth:
    1 It is allowed for the Muslim to take care of the burial of his mushrik relatives. That does not cancel out his hatred of their shirk. Do you not see that Ali (may Allaah be pleased with him) initially refused to bury his father for that very reason, as he said,he died as a mushrik.He thought that if he buried him when this was the case,that this was included in the forbidden kind of friendship as referred to in the aayah (interpretation of the meaning):


    O you who believe! Take not as friends the people who incurred the Wrath of Allaah [al-Mumtahinah 60:13]

    When the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) repeated the command to bury his father,he hastened to obey him and he gave up the notion that had initially occurred to him.This is what obedience means: that a person gives up his opinion in response to the command of his Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him). It seems to me that a sons burying his mushrik father or mother is the last act of good companionship that the son can do for his mushrik parent in this world. But after the burial,he cannot make duaa for him or pray for forgiveness for him,because of the unambiguous words of Allaah (interpretation of the meaning): It is not (proper) for the Prophet and those who believe to ask Allaahs forgiveness for the Mushrikoon, even though they be of kin[al-Tawbah 9:113]

    If this is the case,then how can people pray for mercy and forgiveness in the pages of newspapers and magazines for some of the kuffaar,in death announcements for money! Let the one who has any concern for his hereafter fear Allaah.

    2 It is not prescribed for him to wash or shroud a kaafir,or to offer the funeral prayer over him,even if he was a relative,because the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) did not tell Ali to do that. If that were permissible, he (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) would have said so, because it is well known that it is not permitted for the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) to delay explaining something at the time when that information is needed. This is the view of the Hanbalis and others.

    3It is not prescribed for the relatives of a mushrik to follow his funeral, because
    the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) did not do that in the case of his uncle, although he was the one who was the most kind and compassionate towards him,and he even prayed to Allaah to make his punishment the lightest punishment in Hell.
    In all of that there is a lesson for those who are deceived by pride in their lineage and who do not strive for their Hereafter with their Lord.Allaah indeed spoke the truth when He said (interpretation of the meaning):
    There will be no kinship among them that Day,nor will they ask of one another [al-Muminoon 23:101]

    (al-Silsilah al-Saheehah,by Shaikh al-Albaani,no.161)

    Muharem ibn Shaban ibn Fazli
    Melbourne - Australia.

  2. #2

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    697

    Default Re: Not praying is kufr

    My respected brother,

    THis is indeed the Hanbali view over this matter. However, the majority of scholars state otherwise i.e. It is not a Kufr that nulify one's Islam.

    This has been already pointed out in my previus post ina thread about this topic!

    Barak Allahu feekum

  3. #3
    Junior Member Abu Zahra Al Soomaalee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    214

    Default Re: Not praying is kufr

    Brother Ayman,

    What about the Ijmaa3 of the Sahabah? Or is it only a supposed Ijmaa3 (claim), that doesn't actually exist?

    Also, can ( if the Ijmaa3 is correct) we say that the other Imams were effected by the Murjiah, that it is Shaadh, and that it is a bid'ah?

    Fi Amani Allah

    Note: Al Qaradawi is also from those notable Scholars that opinion to the Kufr of the one who doesn't pray.

  4. #4
    Transient Traveler Sharif's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    United States
    Age
    22
    Posts
    1,675

    Default Re: Not praying is kufr

    I had compiled a list of various materials in English in regards to the issue of tarik as-salaah, containing the arguments of each position:

    Evidences Needed For The One Who Does Not Pray

    Quote Originally Posted by Ayman bin Khaled View Post
    However, the majority of scholars state otherwise i.e. It is not a Kufr that nulify one's Islam.
    Shaykh, what do you say about these narrations?
    Last edited by Sharif; 12th September 2009 at 01:29 PM.

  5. #5

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    697

    Default Re: Not praying is kufr

    Quote Originally Posted by Sharif View Post
    I had compiled a list of various materials in English in regards to the issue of tarik as-salaah, containing the arguments of each position:

    Evidences Needed For The One Who Does Not Pray



    Shaykh, what do you say about these narrations?
    These are taken from Ibn al-Qaiym ( ) book Tarik al-Salaat. Actually, all arguments you will read are actually based on Ibn Qaim work and there nothing new that anyone can add to his work. So, yes I am so aware of them. However, all these texts pour into the actual Hadeeth "The vow that is betwees us (i.e. Muslims) and them (i.e. Disbelivers) is Salata. whoeever abandons it then he had comitted Kufr".

    You should realize if this is as clear as it seems and that there was an Ijmaa' of companion as claimed about this then you would not find the majority view opposite to it!! Also, there si a hadeeth that clearly states that who does not pray, his destiny is up to Allah i..e to enter him Jannah or punish him and we know that Kafir will never enter Jannah.

    Wallahu A'lam

  6. #6
    Transient Traveler Sharif's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    United States
    Age
    22
    Posts
    1,675

    Default Re: Not praying is kufr

    As Salaamu 'Alaikum respected Shaykh,

    I don't understand this:

    Quote Originally Posted by Ayman bin Khaled View Post
    You should realize if this is as clear as it seems and that there was an Ijmaa' of companion as claimed about this then you would not find the majority view opposite to it!!
    Does this mean that the narrations of the Sahaba and the salaf, in which they themselves claimed ijmaa', are not authentic?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ayman bin Khaled View Post
    Also, there si a hadeeth that clearly states that who does not pray, his destiny is up to Allah i..e to enter him Jannah or punish him and we know that Kafir will never enter Jannah.
    How does one reconcile this hadith with the equally explicit, but more numerous ahadith, which state "whoever does not pray is a kafir," and "salaah is the boundary between shirk & kufr, and imaan"?

    I have an open mind about this subject, and I am concerned due to the fact that so many Muslims neglect the Salaah, so I really appreciate your answers.

  7. #7

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    697

    Default Re: Not praying is kufr

    Quote Originally Posted by Sharif View Post
    As Salaamu 'Alaikum respected Shaykh,

    Does this mean that the narrations of the Sahaba and the salaf, in which they themselves claimed ijmaa', are not authentic?
    The statements of the Salaf will not more clearier than the hadeeth itself!! The hadeeth refers to Kufr below Kufr and not the Kufr that nulifies one's Islam. Big difference.

    How does one reconcile this hadith with the equally explicit, but more numerous ahadith, which state "whoever does not pray is a kafir," and "salaah is the boundary between shirk & kufr, and imaan"?
    See above. Also, note that words in Arabic sometimes carry other signioficance to show seriousness i.e. Tarheeb.

    I have an open mind about this subject, and I am concerned due to the fact that so many Muslims neglect the Salaah, so I really appreciate your answers.
    It is a serious concern and one must not be easy with it even if it does not nulify one's Islam.

    Wallahu A'lam

  8. #8
    Wahabist
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    1,720

    Default Re: Not praying is kufr

    Quote Originally Posted by Ayman bin Khaled View Post
    This has been already pointed out in my previus post ina thread about this topic!
    Assalamu Alaykum,

    Do you have the link to that thread?

  9. #9
    DhulQarNain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Castle in the Sky...
    Posts
    1,606

    Default Re: Not praying is kufr

    What about Friday Prayers, i've heard that one who doesn't pray for 3 consecutive weeks becomes a Kafir (i don't think that's true)?

    By God - Verily - you know that I know you are lying.

    -
    ˤAmr b. al-ˤās's response to Musaylimah al-Kadhāb (Bidāyah Tafsir Surah al-ˤAsr li Ibn Kathir)

    "He is only called insān (human being) because of his nasyān (forgetfulness) -- And it is only called al-qalb (the heart) because it constantly varies (yataqallib)."



    From ˤAbbās ibn ˤAbd al-Muttalib that he had heard the Messenger of Allāh - peace and blessings of All
    āh be upon him - say:
    "Whoever is pleased with Allāh as his Rabb; with al-Islām as his Dīn; and with Muhammad as his Prophet and Messenger has tasted the sweetness of faith."
    [Musnad Ahmad Hadith #1682]


    The Messenger of Allāh - peace and blessings of Allāh be upon him - said:
    "Oh Allāh, be pleased with ˤUthmān, for I am pleased with him." [al-Sīrah al-Nabawiyyah li Ibn Hishām 2/517]


  10. #10
    Abu Shawarma
    Layth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    13,928

    Default Re: Not praying is kufr

    Quote Originally Posted by DhulQarNain View Post
    What about Friday Prayers, i've heard that one who doesn't pray for 3 consecutive weeks becomes a Kafir (i don't think that's true)?
    The hadeeth says that a seal is put on a person's heart, I think.
    ٰ


    {And is one who was dead and We gave him life and made for him light by which to walk among the people like one who is in darkness, never to emerge therefrom? Thus it has been made pleasing to the disbelievers that which they were doing.}

    Al-An'aam 122

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Is watching kufr, kufr?
    By asharee_salafi in forum Islamic Law
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 30th March 2010, 06:24 PM
  2. Question Kufr doona Kufr
    By DhulQarNain in forum Islamic Theology and Ideology
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: 25th July 2009, 08:00 PM
  3. What are doing and Praying for?
    By Ibn abd in forum Identity, Activism and Unity
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 3rd March 2008, 12:28 PM
  4. Major Kufr, and Minor Kufr and when does it apply?
    By Al-Fateh in forum Islam in General
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 30th May 2007, 11:18 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129