Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Practicing Brothers and Sisters going on holidays to Turkey, Morocco etc.

This is a discussion on Practicing Brothers and Sisters going on holidays to Turkey, Morocco etc. within the Islamic Law forums, part of the Islamic Knowledge category; Assalamu Alaikum, Insha'Allah everyone on IA is well. Something has been bothering me for quite some time and it is ...

Default Practicing Brothers and Sisters going on holidays to Turkey, Morocco etc.

Assalamu Alaikum,

Insha'Allah everyone on IA is well. Something has been bothering me for quite some time and it is the whole idea of going on holidays for the sake of enjoyment.

This is a growing trend amongst practicing married couples and I am wondering what your opinion is on the matter. I firmly believe that these things are excessive and Islamically unfounded, which is also the opinion of Sh. Al Munajid from IslamQA.

There is a brother I know that holidays with his young family to different countries every year (mostly to Morocco), whilst he remains unemployed. There is also another trend; a group of married couples going on retreats in places like Devon, where it's obvious that they are holidaying, but with some Islamicness to it, such as talks given by each person etc. A group I know did this only a few weeks ago, and now some from that group are planning on going to Morocco in a few months, each with their wives. My family was offered to tag along, we refused.

There was another brother that had accompanied a convoy that was on its way to the Sryian-Turkish border to hand out vital aid, whom upon returned spoke of heart-softening stories of what he experienced. This brother had gone to Turkey for a week's holiday with his wife and young children a week after he came from his charity work. The sad part is that the Houla Massacre took place whilst he was enjoying the sun.

In times of great difficulties this Ummah faces and the desperate need for cash donations in places like Burma and Syria, I cannot see how anyone can cough up thousands of pounds to go on holidays.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Musk For This Useful Post:
    Abu'l 'Eyse (18th August 2012), musslim (18th August 2012), Striving4Sunnah (18th August 2012)

Default Re: Practicing Brothers and Sisters going on holidays to Turkey, Morocco etc.

Wa aleikum salam,

people are unwilling to sacrifice their wealth for the religion. I live in Vienna and in summer see all the tourists from the ME strolling the inner city and looking at the architecture and culture as if its something worthy to have seen in their lives. They try to imitate the disbelievers. Good for you brother, that you see through this and understand whats important in life. May Allah give you abundantly so that you can spend in fisabilillah.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Armitage4 For This Useful Post:
    leo (18th August 2012)

Default Re: Practicing Brothers and Sisters going on holidays to Turkey, Morocco etc.

You should think better of the brother who went to Turkey.Unfair assumptions there and likewise with the Morrocon brother,is it right to be chatting his buisness on here?...InshAllah it's unintended but your post came of bit hasad like to these two bros and their families..

Walaikomsalam wr wb..

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to abuhannah For This Useful Post:
    Abu'l 'Eyse (18th August 2012), abubakr007 (18th August 2012), leo (18th August 2012), UmmKids (18th August 2012)

Quote Originally Posted by Armitage4 View Post
    Wa aleikum salam,

people are unwilling to sacrifice their wealth for the religion..
    Some not all,let's keep it real here..Brothers and sisters give their lives up everyday,paper money is meaningless to that sacrifice..

Walaikomsalam wr wb..

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to abuhannah For This Useful Post:
    Abu'l 'Eyse (18th August 2012), leo (18th August 2012)

Quote Originally Posted by abuhannah View Post
    You should think better of the brother who went to Turkey.Unfair assumptions there and likewise with the Morrocon brother,is it right to be chatting his buisness on here?...InshAllah it's unintended but your post came of bit hasad like to these two bros and their families..

Walaikomsalam wr wb..
    That was not intended bro, and apologise if that is how it comes across. Perhaps I should have kept my post general.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Musk For This Useful Post:
    Abu'l 'Eyse (18th August 2012), abubakr007 (18th August 2012), abuhannah (18th August 2012), leo (18th August 2012)

Quote Originally Posted by Musk View Post
    That was not intended bro, and apologise if that is how it comes across. Perhaps I should have kept my post general.
    Labess we live and learn.I understood your other points.On the UK retreats in some people's cases it's needed,city life dose mash up many some and folks need to unwind lest they do something really stupid,irrational etc,many reasons,JIMAS in August back in the day was a one year blessing that kept us in iman check..As for the couples going on shared coach rides abroad it's cringe worthy,am aware of some doing this and to be honest I'm no fan of the Andulsia here we come..
    Last edited by abuhannah; 18th August 2012 at 03:57 AM.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to abuhannah For This Useful Post:
    Abu'l 'Eyse (18th August 2012), leo (18th August 2012), Musk (18th August 2012)

I grew up with the brothers, many of us started practicing at the same time. I know that whilst we were all growing up, we were taught about the concept of holidaying, our ustadths were quite clear about it and I had assumed that this understanding would remain strongly as we grow older. However, it is now so common that I am thinking that either the concept is OK for many, or that people have forgotten the concept for whatever reason.
    Last edited by Musk; 18th August 2012 at 04:18 AM.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Musk For This Useful Post:
    Abu'l 'Eyse (18th August 2012), Armitage4 (18th August 2012), leo (18th August 2012)

Labess we live and learn.I understood your other points.On the UK retreats in some people's cases it's needed,city life dose mash up many some folks need to unwind lest they do something really stupid,irrational etc,many reasons,JIMAS in August back in the day was a one year blessing that kept us in iman check..As for the couples going on shared coach rides abroad it's cringe worthy,am aware of some doing this and to be honest I'm no fan of the Andulsia here we come..
    Yes, and I too have been to lots of those types of retreats, mainly summer camps and residentials to Wales with brothers. Good memories. But what true value is there for these sort of retreats where couples go in groups?

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Musk For This Useful Post:
    Abu'l 'Eyse (18th August 2012)

Quote Originally Posted by Musk View Post
    But what true value is there for these sort of retreats where couples go in groups?
    Not sure bro,I'm at 40 now and not really following much of what my younger brethren are up to..Tea and slippers for me..That said I know an older bro who went to one here this year,for him it was needed,the worsed part was coming back as naturally Muslims want to be around Muslims and suddenly bang bang your back in the midst of inner city living,if it can be called living at all,just getting by is more apt wa Allah Ta Alim..
    Last edited by abuhannah; 18th August 2012 at 04:10 AM.

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to abuhannah For This Useful Post:
    Abu'l 'Eyse (18th August 2012), leo (18th August 2012), The.Joshua.Redux (18th August 2012)

Not sure bro,I'm at 40 now and not really following much of what my younger brethren are up to..Tea and slippers for me..That said I know an older bro who went to one here this year,for him it was needed,the worsed part was coming back as naturally Muslims want to be around Muslims and suddenly bang bang your back in the midst of inner city living,if it can be called living at all,just getting by is more apt wa Allah Ta Alim..
    LOL, maybe you can join the next retreat and be updated, heard Devon is quite popular with Bengalis in east London.
    Last edited by Musk; 18th August 2012 at 04:15 AM.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Musk For This Useful Post:
    Abu'l 'Eyse (18th August 2012)

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast