purification/control of the nafs

This is a discussion on purification/control of the nafs within the Islamic Law forums, part of the Islamic Knowledge category; Asalamualaykum, What is the authentic sunnah way and method of controlling the nafs or curbing ones desires? I know for ...

Default purification/control of the nafs

Asalamualaykum,

What is the authentic sunnah way and method of controlling the nafs or curbing ones desires?

I know for example that the Rasool of Allah salallahu alayhi wasalam instructed the young man who could not get married to fast as this would help him control his desires ie temptations of the flesh.

Are there any other specific instructions of the prophet salallahu alayhi wasalam for other specific temptations/desires? For example if someone finds themselves falling into a certain sin what could he/she then do to prevent themselves from doing such? I know there are duas to seek protection from specific sins but what Im talking about is actions like fasting for unmarried young men.

The reason I ask is that the sufis seem to regard themselves as being the masters of nafs control and they seem to have a sophisticated method to counter different vices ie such and such treatment for the one who is envious and such and such treatment for the one who is arrogant etc .

Actually I remember reading about a certain individual who was prescribed certain duties by his shaykh (spiritual teacher) for arrogance, he would have to do things like clean the istinja/wudhu area and would be made to fetch the slippers of other students and other similar things.

Also it is said that a shaykh (I think its murshid in the terminology of the sufis) is essential if one wants to truly purify themselves because one needs an experienced person to diagnose and then treat "spiritual diseases" and it is said that one can not do this for themselves (which kind of makes sense as how is someone going to tell if they're arrogant or greedy or stingy etc).

So here I mean sins of the nafs ie pride arrogance greed lust jealousy etc.

I heard a lecture about tazkiya by Yasir Qadhi in which he touches upon purification of the nafs but doesnt go into detail about the method of doing so according to Quran and Sunnah.

Of course we all know that we must follow the Quran and sunnah, and have the correct aqeeda, and have good relations and manners with other muslims and non muslims, that we must increase in good actions with correct sincere intentions to seek the pleasure of Allah subhanu wa ta ala, and keep away from that which is forbidden, we must make dua to Allah to guide us to the haq and to protect us from that which is baatil. Ultimately tazkiya of the nafs is from Allah the most high and we need to beg Allah that he grants it to us.

So brothers and sisters can you put forward your suggestions (based on authentic evidence) as to how or what is the best way we can eradicate from ourselves any so called spiritual diseases.

JazakAllah khair

wasalam
    Last edited by Umm Ahmed; 31st July 2007 at 06:15 AM. Reason: You need to repair the upload InshaAllaah.
    And say not concerning that which your tongues put forth falsely: This is lawful and this is forbidden, so as to invent lies against Allaah. Verily, those who invent lies against Allaah will never prosper. [al-Nahl 16:116].

Syed Qutb (ra) when asked to seek pardon from nasser said
    Verily the index finger that testifies to the oneness of Allah in prayer utterly rejects to write even one letter that endorses the rule of the tyrant

2C oursels as ithers C us Umm Ahmed's Avatar

As salaamu 'alaykum wurahmatulaah wabarakatu

Taqwa (being aware of Allaah at all times) one of which you mentioned is the fasting.

"Whoever keeps his duty to Allh (has taqwa), He ordains a way out for him and gives him sustenance from where he imagines not. And whoever trusts in Allh, He is sufficient for him. Surely Allh attains His purpose. Allh has appointed a measure for everything." (65:2)

Thats why in Ramadan we also increase our prayers our good deeds ect so that we attain this Taqwa

The beloved Prophet Muhammad said
    "There is in the body a clump of flesh - if it becomes good, the whole body becomes good and if it becomes bad, the whole body becomes bad. And indeed it is the heart."

From this we can deduce that having a pure heart is another way to purification, this can be obtained through having good intentions though out your life in regards to worship, and that all our worship and other actions are solely to please Allaah.
    The beloved Prophet Muhammad said: "Deeds are judged according to the intention." The place of the intention is not on the lips. It is in the heart. [The hadith in full:- Bukhari, Volume 1, Book 2, Number 51: Narrated 'Umar bin Al-Khattab: Allah's Apostle said, "The reward of deeds depends upon the intention and every person will get the reward according to what he has intended. So whoever emigrated for Allah and His Apostle, then his emigration was for Allah and His Apostle. And whoever emigrated for worldly benefits or for a woman to marry, his emigration was for what he emigrated for."]

We should refrain from backbiting and harbouring any ill will to others, everyone knows how much this can make the heart hard.

Allah said in the Quran, Surah Ali-Imran (3:159), "Due to Allah's mercy, you are gentle with them. Had you been severe and harsh hearted, they would have fled from around you."
    If this was essential for the Phrophet then it is essential for us too.

Having a good relationship with the Quran is also essential to one's purification
    That is why Allah said, "Whoever turns away from my remembrance will have a wretched life." [Quran, Surah Ta-Ha 20:124 : "Whosoever turns away from My Message, verily for him is a life narrowed down, and We shall raise him up blind on the Day of Judgement." [It is only with the remembrance of Allah that hearts find rest. [Quran, Surah Al-Ra'd 13:28 : "Those who believe, and whose hearts find satisfaction in the remembrance of Allah: for without doubt in the remembrance of Allah do hearts find satisfaction."]

Watching yourself and your actions .

Hasan al Basri rahimahu Allah said about the verse "No. I do swear by the criticizing self..." (Surah Qiyamah:2) : A believer will always be critical of himself in his food, his drink and his speech. A sinner will not criticize himself." He also said "A believer is a guardian over himself: he accounts himself for Allah. Those who take account of themselves in this world will be audited lightly in the Hereafter. Those who take this issue lightly will find their auditing very difficult."

Read what is in store for you if you control your nafs, Allaah describes paradise in the Quraan for a reason, it's to make us work towards that goal, and to yearn for it, same with the verses on hellfire they are to scare us and remind us to stay away from the things that could lead us there.

Everything is a guidance for us in the Quraan and the Sunnah , we are told what to do because these things are what benefits us.
    Allaah has no need of our prayer or charity or all the other guidelines that are laid down for us; they are entirely for our benefit our purification alone.
    Alhamdulilaah for the blessing of Islaam
    Deeds are your money on the day of judgement , make sure you collect plenty now.

Say (O Muhammad SAW):"I am not a new thing among the Messengers (of Allh) (i.e. I am not the first Messenger) nor do I know what will be done with me or with you. I only follow that which is revealed to me, and I am but a plain warner." (Al-Ahqaf 46:9)

Try Ali al-Timimi's (may Allah preserve him & hasten his release) 'Purification of the Soul' series which can be found here - http://www.iisca.org/audio/.

O Muslims, wake up! the issue is not of purification of the soul or Dhikr or some other SPRITUAL aspect.
    The ISSUE at hand is POLITICAL-- one of re-establishing the Khilafah in order to resume the Islamic way of life.

Once Khilafah is established (even if its on ottoman style) purification of the soul would be naturally follow