Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Qunoot in english?

This is a discussion on Qunoot in english? within the Islamic Law forums, part of the Islamic Knowledge category; SubhanAllah, since I have been back in the US, on a break from my studies, I have seen some ajeeb ...

Default Qunoot in english?

SubhanAllah, since I have been back in the US, on a break from my studies, I have seen some ajeeb things. Tonight the Imaam of our masjid (who is Arab) recited the Qunoot IN ENGLSIH in Salah. I was shocked, I have never seen this anywhere in the world. I can not find anything that discuss this issue in my books at home. Can someone please find out what the scholars of Islam have said about an Arab, who knows Arabic well, making the Qunoot in English in Salah?

Quote Originally Posted by StudentofKnowledge View Post
    SubhanAllah, since I have been back in the US, on a break from my studies, I have seen some ajeeb things. Tonight the Imaam of our masjid (who is Arab) recited the Qunoot IN ENGLSIH in Salah. I was shocked, I have never seen this anywhere in the world. I can not find anything that discuss this issue in my books at home. Can someone please find out what the scholars of Islam have said about an Arab, who knows Arabic well, making the Qunoot in English in Salah?
    Asslamo Allaikum,

In many Masajid in US Adhan is called in English and I have seen/heard it myself.

Can anyone find out what the scholars of Islam have said about this issue?

Banned

Wa Alaikum Assalam Wa Rahmatullah

honestly, I can't fathom an imaam making du'aa in English during witr. 'Arabee has such a beauty to it and yeah...

anyways this is what i found (not exactly what you were looking for):

Question:
    Can I recite duaa's in English?.

Answer:

Praise be to Allaah.

Making du’aa’ in English or in any other language is permissible outside of salaah (prayer). But it is not permissible to say any part of the salaah in any language other than Arabic, according to the majority of scholars.

But if the Muslim can stick to Arabic in all cases, especially in acts of worship – and du’aa’ is an act of worship – that is preferable and is better.

Shaykh ‘Abd al-Kareem al-Khudayr

http://islam-qa.com/index.php?ref=11...ng&txt=english

Bismillah
    Assalamoalaikum
    I asked Dr. Abdur Rahmaaan Al-Howsawi (PHD in Quraan Sciences from Imam Muhammad Uni, Ryadh), the religious advisor in our university.
    He said "This is the first time i have heard this. This was the imam's ijtihaad. There is no need to repeat the prayers, but should not be done another time. The original principle is that you should follow the Prophet sallallahoalaihiwasallam's example in Dhikr (i.e. Arabic)"
    About Adhaan, he said this is a bid'ah, because no one b4 them has done that. If it had been done, it would have been written in history.

This is a rough translation of what he said.
    Allah knows best.
    Brown Sahib

JazzakAllah khairun everyone!

'Salafiya' that is good enough. I will hand it to the him and hope from Allah that he leaves this method.

O' boy - it's really fun to hear 'kid muftis'.....

The reason for reading Salaat in Arabic was to create unity within Muslims - and not because it's the language of the 'chosen ones' - who have turned out to be a great community of hypocrites - while understanding Holy Qur'an being revealed in their mother tongue. As Sayyid Qutb wrote - the Arabs have gone back to Jahilyya - just they were before the Prophet Muhammad (pbuh).

Except for the Salaat - every other activities (sermon, dua, Islamic discussions, etc.) must be done in the language, which most of the particpants can understand. But then there is no shortage of bigots - as one 'Arab scholar' from Egypt refused to pray behind an Alim from Pakistan, because he delivered Friday sermon in Urdu instead of Arabic.
    It is immoral, irrational, it is obscene for an oppressor to tell the oppressed how they should respond to oppression.

Kids Muftis? Like who? Shaikh ‘AbdulKareem al-Khudayr is a senior scholar.

How he became a Senior scholar - By giving 'fatwa' against Lebanese Hizb'Allah?
    It is immoral, irrational, it is obscene for an oppressor to tell the oppressed how they should respond to oppression.

Banned

Wa iyyak StudentOfKnowledge

What do you have against the shaykh, Rehmat....and didn't you then also give your own opinion? So do you fall under the category of kid mufti?

Anyways, I searched some more on Islam-QA and this is what I found:

http://islam-qa.com/index.php?ref=3471&ln=eng

Shaykh Munajjid says in there:

The majority of fuqaha’ say that if the non-Arab can speak Arabic, he should not recite Takbeer (saying “Allaahu akbar (Allaah is Most Great)”) in any other language. The evidence for this is that the texts instruct this particular wording, which is Arabic, and that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) did not do it any other way.

But if a non-Arab cannot speak Arabic and is unable to pronounce it, then according to the majority of fuqaha’ it is OK for him to say the Takbeer in his own language after it has been translated from Arabic, according to the statements of the Shaafa’is and Hanbalis, no matter what the language is. The Takbeer is remembrance or mentioning of Allaah, and Allaah can be remembered or mentioned in every language, so a language other than Arabic is an alternative, and the person has to learn how to say it in the other language. There is some controversy as to whether all of the adhkaar of the prayer, such as tashahhud, qunoot, du’aa’, and the tasbeehaat in rukoo’ and sujood may be said in languages other than Arabic.

I think that's only regarding those who cannot speak Arabic? Allaahu Alam.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast