Dawah an individual obligation? And Role of laymen?

This is a discussion on Dawah an individual obligation? And Role of laymen? within the Da'wah and Methodology forums, part of the Main Topics category; As Salam Elekum wr wb, I want to discuss a big problem going around internet. Many modern daees claims that ...

Default Dawah an individual obligation? And Role of laymen?

As Salam Elekum wr wb,
    I want to discuss a big problem going around internet. Many modern daees claims that giving Dawah is individual responsibility and most important responsibility of a Muslim. They quote a hadith that we should convey knowledge even if we know a verse. From this they claim that one doesn't have to be a scholar, student of knowledge or trained Daee but anyone can give dawah. From this many individual who have no knowledge of aqeedah, arabic, tajweed and many have not even read Quran becomes a daees.
    They stop seeking necessary knowledge and go for useless stuff like scientific miracles.
    They just have watched video of popular daees and they starts to give dawah based on that. What latter happened with most of them when they encounter doubt from non-muslims they comes up with wierd interpretations of Islamic text, becomes hadith rejector and even apostate from Islam.

I want to discuss that
    1)Is dawah a responsibility of a scholars/students or everyone?
    2)what are prerequisites of giving dawah.
    3)and how laymen should be involve in Dawah.

Inshallah I will post that to my blog.

JazakAllahKhair.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to ubaid88 For This Useful Post:
    al-Qanun (21st April 2012)

It was written... TheUmmahStridesForward's Avatar

Default Re: Dawah an individual obligation? And Role of laymen?

What latter happened with most of them when they encounter doubt from non-muslims they comes up with wierd interpretations of Islamic text, becomes hadith rejector and even apostate from Islam.
    This is the most ridiculous statement I have heard in a while.

(and no i am not rejecting the importance of knowledge or a good reference point (i.e shaykh))
    Last edited by TheUmmahStridesForward; 21st April 2012 at 12:53 AM.

Follow ahmad10 On Twitter

Al-Salamu `Alaykum Wa Rahmatu 'Llahi Wa BarakaTuhu,

Quote Originally Posted by TheUmmahStridesForward View Post
    This is the most ridiculous statement I have heard in a while.

They just have watched video of popular daees and they starts to give dawah based on that. What latter happened with most of them when they encounter doubt from non-muslims they comes up with wierd interpretations of Islamic text, becomes hadith rejector and even apostate from Islam.
    (and no i am not rejecting the importance of knowledge or a good reference point (i.e shaykh))
    I would have to disagree with you bro. I personally know many people like this, who became attracted to Islam in a similar way, and as the Daee's promote this dorm of Salafi Fiqh, where you go directly to the 'Qur'an and the Sunnah' (but they don't tell you about all the Usool, and to take matters to Scholars, etc.) then the layman who becomes attracted to them starts to interpret Hadeeth on his own. Then he looks at issues of Fiqh, and when he cannot make Jam' between what he thinks is the best or allowed in that situation as opposed to the Hadeeth (or what he sees between two ahadeeth) then he starts rejecting parts of the Hadeeth, and saying stuff like 'we need to re-examine Bukhari and Muslim' and other stuff like that. This eventually leads some to reject a huge chunk of hadeeth, and for some to even leave Islam.

I've seen the former with my own eyes, and I've heard of the latter.

So I don't see it as ridiculous at all. I think the Daees can do a better of how they promote and motivate their audience in the issue of seeking knowledge. It's more detailed than what's being presented and this issue has become a Fitnah for many which needs to be dealt with.

I won't comment on the question regarding the thread though, as I don't really have a definite answer to it. In my opinion, everyone needs to play their part - but not overplay it, or underplay it.

And Allah (swt) knows best.

ٰ ۚ ۖ ۚ
    ٰ ۚ ۚ ٰ

Indeed, Allah has purchased from the believers their lives and their properties [in exchange] for that they will have Paradise. They fight in the cause of Allah , so they kill and are killed. [It is] a true promise [binding] upon Him in the Torah and the Gospel and the Qur'an. And who is truer to his covenant than Allah ? So rejoice in your transaction which you have contracted. And it is that which is the great attainment.

(Surah at-Tawbah 111 - 111 )
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Si vis pacem, para bellum

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ahmad10 For This Useful Post:
    Abu Abdul-Barr (21st April 2012), ubaid88 (21st April 2012)

our individual obligation is to save ourselves and our families. the Prophet salAllahu 'alayhi was-sallam would dispatch certain sahabah to call a particular nation to islam. i think this hadith, convey on my behalf, is taken out of context to mean give da'wah, i think this simply means narrate ahadith if you know it. so if a muslim is unsure about the ruling on eating donkey meat, you may convey on behalf of the Prophet salAllahu 'alayhi was-sallam that it is forbidden.

da'wah is not the responsibility of the layman. at least i don't believe so. what you describe is exactly why we shouldn't be calling people to islam, unless it is on a very basic level. such as, calling them to tawhid, salah, zakat and to abandon major sins. not spending time debating and getting entangled in discussions on speculative theology as this will only lead us to say something about Allah without knowledge and end up lying. this is exactly what led even the most knowledgeable to become Mu'tazilah.
    Last edited by al-Qanun; 21st April 2012 at 04:22 AM.
    ٰ

Birmingham, United Kingdom, United Kingdom

We should convey knowledge even if it's a verse.

To me that means to share something you have validated and understood with the help of a learned person or something simple for lay man.

I. E. If Christian says Allah isn't a loving God. Which they still do, ask them and explain after what Al Wadud means. It means the loving.

Also Islam says to gain knowledge you have to learn and travel, nobody gets that just sitting at home, so we need to help such people getting off their backsides lol. Some learning maybe done at home like Quran and hadith but not all, like the understanding and pronounciation etc.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2 Beta-5

Quote Originally Posted by ahmad10 View Post
    In my opinion, everyone needs to play their part - but not overplay it, or underplay it.

And Allah (swt) knows best.
    Co-Sign.

Everybody has to be doing something according to their means for which they will be accountable for e.g. dawah to their immediate neighbours, non muslim family, work colleagues, student buddies etc...

However on a bigger scale - dawah stalls, exhibitions - this is a communal obligation

Allaah knows best
    "If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you; But if you really make them think, they'll hate you."-Don Marquis

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Hamza Patterson For This Useful Post:
    Abu Saalehah (22nd April 2012), ahmad10 (21st April 2012), Layth (21st April 2012), Smi Ler (22nd April 2012)