Help! Dawah to an Atheist

This is a discussion on Help! Dawah to an Atheist within the Identity, Activism and Unity forums, part of the Main Topics category; AsSalaamAlaykum, Okay..basically there is this girl in my class and she seems to be interested in believing in a God. ...

Default Help! Dawah to an Atheist

AsSalaamAlaykum,

Okay..basically there is this girl in my class and she seems to be interested in believing in a God. Reason why i believe this is because (being the only jilbabi in the school) she came to me and said i wish i could believe in a God, but my parents on both sides have been atheists for generations, so i don't know how to believe.

And then today we were walking home and she says to me ...i wish i could cover my face it would be so easy and i wouldnt have to care about what people think, and my mornings wouldn't be such a hassle.

now i know she didn't say these in a sarcastic tone...she genuinely seems like a person who can inshaAllah understand and accept islam if the da'wah is done properly to her. i don't know how to or what to say to her, i really want to do this right.

my biggest problem is, is that there is this other 'girl' and she is saudi. Saudi, spoilt and has islamic education equivalent to a 3 year old. And during our lessons she makes Islam seem so bad, by saying ooh saudi is like this, it is like that...the women are opressed behind their niqaabs. if i try to intervene, she doesnt let me because i am not from saudi and she is! What makes it worse is that this saudi girl and the atheist girl are neighbours and they are friends! So then would someone please give me some advice on how to do dawah to the athiest girl.

when it comes to islamic questions, people in my class ask the saudi girl (hijabless) because they associate saudi with Islaam. And then when i finally get to answer a question the teacher intervenes and say okay lets change the subject -__-

Hanfist Salfist Humblist Firebrand Mullah's Avatar
    Follow Firebrand Mullah On Twitter

Default Re: Help! Dawah to an Atheist

Quote Originally Posted by Abu-Asiya View Post
    I have nothing against salafis. Even some of my friends are salafis.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Firebrand Mullah For This Useful Post:
    Hamza Patterson (10th November 2011), InshallahFirdaus2015 (10th November 2011), UmmIbrahim (10th November 2011)

wa alaykum salaam, may Allah guide this girl to Islam and reward you for your efforts and intentions, ameen.

One thing people fail to understand about atheists in the west is that their atheism is based on the incorrect concept of God. Non muslims in Britain are constantly taught, from a very young age, that Allah is a man. the image of Allah is the christian image of 3esa (alayhis salaam), or the depiction of a white man with a grey beard shown in church windows and bible leaflets, who is claimed represents Allah. Atheists see a corrupt system whereby people pay, bribe and have hierarchy with their spiritual leaders whether it be catholic priests, pentecostal pastors, Rabbis, or shia3 'ayatollahs'.
    It is easy to understand why the concept of Islam - submission- is misunderstood or rejected by atheists; who in their right mind would submit themself entirely to another human being??

Therefore in order to soften this Girl's heart towards islam i think, wAllahu a3lam, that you need to explain tawheed and the concept of Allah. Tell her about Allahs names and attributes. Explain to her that there are no intermediaries in Islam and that what is liberating is that direct link with Allah. Explain that there is no concept of going to the priest for confession, no original sin, no quick fix or free pass, but rather we are judged for our deeds alone and nobody can take the burden of them except us.

Explain all this from your own viewpoint, ie "what i love about islam is that i can talk directly to Allah, that way you are not putting pressure on her to respond to you or make decisions, rather you are giving her insight about the positive effects of Islam and enabling her to use her intellect and compare it to her own life.

Follow the examples of the Prophets and messengers before us, may Allah be pleased with them all.
    Their method was always the same, call people to tawheed first, and away from shirk. establish eeman and cement the oneness of Allah. dont get hung up on the finer details of what a muslim can/cannot do, what are the crimes and punishments, etc. Instead just use wisdom to remind this girl of the blessings of Allah, such as the night in which to rest, the fact we are created in pairs, sight, health, etc. This inshaaAllah would cause her to reflect and recognise the miraculous nature of our existence, and the presence of a Creator.
    If you are asked about this, try and steer the conversation back to the oneness of Allah and His names and attributes.

apologies for the mini essay, but inshaaaAllah it enables you to call to Allah with more insight and understanding.
    وما تَوْفيقي إِلاَّ بِاللّهِ عَلَيْهِ تَوَكَّلْتُ وَإِلَيْهِ أُنيبُ

...and my success is not but through Allah. Upon Him I have relied, and to Him I return.... {
    Qur'an 11:88}

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to أم خالد For This Useful Post:
    abu.turaub (11th November 2011), Bint Mahmood (11th November 2011), Layth (10th November 2011), UmmIbrahim (13th November 2011)

asalaamu alaykum waRahmatullah waBarakaatuh

Sister ummibrahim, this girl isn't a hardcore atheist and is open-minded, and even willing to believe in Allah (subhaanahu wa ta'aala).

So you don't need to give her any arguments as to why God can exist. What you need to do more is to be a friend to her, show her through your example that you are happy and at peace in life with your Islam. You need to show her a good example through yourself so she likes being with you all the time.

So be friends with her. And when she asks questions, you can answer them as they come naturally. One of the strongest things I say to sincere atheists is; If you're really not sure if God exists, then simply pray from your heart and look into the sky and say 'God, if you exist - then guide me to what you love.'

And print this hadeeth qudsi out if you can to give to her;

Allah, The Most High said: “O My servants! I have forbidden oppression for Myself and have made it forbidden amongst you, so do not oppress one another. O My servants!

All of you are astray except for those I have guided, so seek guidance from Me and I shall guide you. O My servants! All of you are hungry except for those I have fed, so seek food from Me and I shall feed you.
    O My servants! All of you are naked except for those I have clothed, so seek clothing from Me and I shall clothe you. O My servants! You commit sins by night and day, and I forgive all sins, so seek forgiveness from Me and I shall forgive you. O My servants! You will never attain harming Me, so as to harm Me, nor will you ever attain benefiting Me, so as to benefit Me. O My servants! Were the first of you and the last of you, the human of you and the jinn of you, to be as pious as the most pious heart of any one man amongst you it would not increase My Kingdom in anything. O My servants! Were the first of you and the last of you, the human of you and the jinn of you to be as wicked as the wickedest heart of any one man amongst you it would not decrease My Kingdom in anything. O My servants! Were the first of you and the last of you, the human of you and the jinn of you to gather in one place and make a request of Me, and I were to give everyone what he requested, it would not decrease what I have any more than a needle decreases the sea when put into it. O My servants! It is only your deeds that I charge you with and then recompense you for them. So whoever finds good then let him praise Allah. Whoever finds other than that, should blame no one but himself.”

[Sahih Muslim]

That's all. Then stay committed and sincere to her. She will see the goodness in Islam, and see the harshness of the other girl and abandon her inshaa' Allah.

You should also make du'a to Allah to guide her aswell.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Mu'awiya For This Useful Post:
    Abu Osama (11th November 2011)

Good points. Try not to be too direct. I have noticed people squirm if you take 'em head on. Explain Islam when you can refer to someone or something else besides her so she won't feel threatened. Relax. Take it slowly and keep the channels open. Don't present her with chances to throw up the shields. But then again, maybe I'm a coward who hates rejection.

I'd pick something about tawheed as a lesson then share a chat about it as if you both just attended the lesson rather than you playing the role of teacher on a permanent basis. Does that make sense? Get her to think about stuff that can lead into a non confrontational conversation and will linger in one's mind, maybe forever.

There is one hadith Qudsi that always makes me smile, then I remember my situation and tears start to well in my eyes. I truly love it. Maybe you can share it with her some day should the right moment present itself. But don't waste it. Just wait.

Muhammad SAW said that Allah SWT said: "Whoever is not pleased with what I decree and does not bear patiently with which I test him, then let him go and look for another God other than Me." al-Tabarani

Who took their religion as distraction and amusement and whom the worldly life deluded." So today We will forget them just as they forgot the meeting of this Day of theirs and for having rejected Our verses. [7:51]

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Abu Osama For This Useful Post:
    أم خالد (11th November 2011), UmmIbrahim (13th November 2011)