Lets be like Abdul Jaleel

This is a discussion on Lets be like Abdul Jaleel within the Identity, Activism and Unity forums, part of the Main Topics category; Asalamualaykum, We as a muslim comunity are under attack here in the uk,the media has launched an unrelenting crusade in ...

Default Lets be like Abdul Jaleel

Asalamualaykum,

We as a muslim comunity are under attack here in the uk,the media has launched an unrelenting crusade in an attempt to vilify Islam and muslims.

I want for us to share some ideas about how we as a comunity and as individuals can counter attack this onslaught.

I think as muslims we need to conduct ourselves in an excellent way first and formost to seek the pleasure of Allah and at the same time as following the sunnah of rasulAllah sallalahu alayhi wasalam we can work against all the negativity that the media is pumping out.

The best form of dawah is dawah by actions, if we act islamicly in the way we interact with non muslims then I feel this would be a really good way of counteracting the media portrayal of muslims.

A small example is that of my good friend Abdul Jaleel,this brother is always going out of his way to be helpfull to people muslims and non muslims alike,Abdul Jaleel went in to a bank, this bank was located in a totaly white area as he entered he saw that there was a very long cue and that he was in for a bit of a wait,anyway an elderly gentleman walked in and he was very tired(breathing hard)and joined the cue behind Abdul Jaleel, A.Jaleel turned to him and asked him if he wass ok "yeah Im allright just very tired my asthma is playing me up" replied the old man, A.Jaleel turned and said to everyone in the bank in a loud voice"excuse me everyone would you all mind if this man skips the cue and go's to the front he's very tired and his asthma is playing up".

So everyone agreed to let the old man go straight to the counter without having to stand and wait in the que.

I think the above example which I know doesnt seem like that much of a big deal does give a very good impression to the non muslims of muslims,and while we may not think much of little things like that I feel they really do make a difference,If all of us were to be like Abdul Jaleel I think the media would have a tough time when they try to show us in a bad light,no one would believe the rubbish they see on tv.

It will be good to hear some more ideas and ways that we can use to try and counter this media attack that we are witnessing.

wasalam
    And say not concerning that which your tongues put forth falsely: This is lawful and this is forbidden, so as to invent lies against Allaah. Verily, those who invent lies against Allaah will never prosper. [al-Nahl 16:116].

Syed Qutb (ra) when asked to seek pardon from nasser said
    Verily the index finger that testifies to the oneness of Allah in prayer utterly rejects to write even one letter that endorses the rule of the tyrant

Peculiarly Ostrobogulous Expergefactionist's Avatar
    Follow Expergefactionist On Twitter Add Expergefactionist on Facebook Add Expergefactionist on Google+

good idea... but think bigger.

how about if we video that happening, and video lots of other such shots, put it altogether in a video and send it as a documentary to channel4, BBC or even Muslim channels?

So while that individual may have changed the opinion of a few in a bank, a TV would have got the message to at least a few thousand households, at least?!
    A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new.

Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Abuz Zubair View Post
    how about if we video that happening, and video lots of other such shots, put it altogether in a video and send it as a documentary to channel4, BBC or even Muslim channels?
    Wouldn't viewers think you're acting like that for the sake of the video though? PR stunt?
    Even in the bank scenario, I don't think those people would always be as eager to express their gratitude if they knew it was to appear on TV or being recorded.

Peculiarly Ostrobogulous Expergefactionist's Avatar
    Follow Expergefactionist On Twitter Add Expergefactionist on Facebook Add Expergefactionist on Google+

Quote Originally Posted by Yasir View Post
    Wouldn't viewers think you're acting like that for the sake of the video though? PR stunt?
    Even in the bank scenario, I don't think those people would always be as eager to express their gratitude if they knew it was to appear on TV or being recorded.
    You didn't get my point. I wasn't talking about filming that exact scene, setting things up on purpose... that would be too fake.

I mean speaking generally... if we were to video our lives, the way we live, what we have to face on a daily basis and then project it to the wider public, it would correct people's perceptions on a mass scale.

I once saw a video on YouTube about a group of kafirs who made a girl wear the hijab and made other girls bully and abuse her on the streets in public to see how people react. Some people reacted and defended the woman in hijab, while others just walked past as if nothing had happened.

Now, I have a better idea. Have a black guy stand at bus stop and a few other guys hurling abuses at him calling him a nigger, etc...

And then you have a Muslim guy wit a beard in a separate and people calling him names like bin ladin/terrorist, etc...

And then contrast between how the people react to the black guy being called a nigger, and a Muslim guy being called a paki or a terrorist.

My hypothesis is that the results will clearly show that we are the 21st century niggers, and what makes us niggers is what we believe, and the way we look, even if we were indigenously Scots or English.
    A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new.

Albert Einstein

Muslim Female
    Umm

Jazakullah khairan, it was a v good example of da'wah through actions, not just talks.
    "There is accountability in blood and money."
    Shaheed Sheikh Anwar al Awlaqi rahimahullah

Quote Originally Posted by Abuz Zubair View Post
    good idea... but think bigger.

So while that individual may have changed the opinion of a few in a bank, a TV would have got the message to at least a few thousand households, at least?!
    As salaamu alaykum akhi,

What Muslim TV channels are there ?

The only channels I know are the qadiani one on sky tv and the islamchannel based in uk.

Imaam Malik was once asked whether one was safe to follow a ruling related to him by reliable narrators who heard it from companions of the Prophet (peace be upon him). he replied, 'No, by Allah, not unless it is correct: the truth is only one. Can two opposing opinions be simultaneously correct? The opinion which is correct can be only one" [ Jami' Byan al-'Ilm ]