Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Reverts - one year on

This is a discussion on Reverts - one year on within the Identity, Activism and Unity forums, part of the Main Topics category; I'm compiling a list of the things a revert should know exactly one year after taking Shahada as part of ...

Banned

Default Reverts - one year on

I'm compiling a list of the things a revert should know exactly one year after taking Shahada as part of a dawah project. What things do you think should be on that list? For example, I'm expecting that they should have memorised at least 5 of the last 10 suras but not all of sura Ya-Sin, and they should know how to practice wudu and the fard salaat but not have in depth knowledge of the Hadith.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Riaz77 For This Useful Post:
    surat_an_nisa_74_100 (25th November 2011)

Default Re: Reverts - one year on

JazakAllah khiar.

I too will be very interested in this.

Narrated by Ibn Abbas.
    While I was standing amongst the people who were invoking Allah for Umar bin Al-Khattab who was lying (dead) on his bed, a man behind me rested his elbows on my shoulders and said:
    '(O Umar!) May Allah bestow His Mercy on you. I always hoped that Allah will keep you with your two companions, for I often heard Allah's Messenger (sallahu alyhi wa salam) saying, ' I, Abu Bakr and Umar were (somewhere). I, Abu Bakr and Umar set out.'
    So I hoped that Allah will keep you with both of them.'
    I turned back to see the speaker was Ali bin Abi Talib.

{Bukhari}

I think compiling a list of the things a revert should know exactly one year after taking Shahada, would put undue pressure on some reverts. That's because everyone learns differently and it may take some people 2 years what some others can learn in 1 year. And it could cause burn outs. I'd just say for each person to learn at their own paste or get a teacher if they want a more structured learning environment.
    Islam began as something strange, and it shall return to being something strange, so give glad tidings to the strangers. [Muslim]

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nusaybah For This Useful Post:
    Bint Mahmood (25th November 2011), ContemplateQuran (24th November 2011)

Formerly 'LionofIslam'

I think the most essential thing to a revert is his/her Aqeeda and Salah. After the aqeeda really you should build upon Salah because if your Salah is good everything else falls in place.

As well reading the Quran daily and learning how to Read Arabic (not as in understand it). Can you go wrong with

Salah
    Quran
    Sunnah

???

JazakAllah khair

Im more interested in what our duty to them is with regards to topics we should cover with them.

Of course there is the wisdom in dealing with reverts so you dont over burden them so set a timetable for them or compare them to others.
    Like you say people learn at different rates and people's situations are different so what might be easy for one person to give up will be hard for someone else.

I think we need an equal amount of learning in dealing with reverts as they do about Islam.

Narrated by Ibn Abbas.
    While I was standing amongst the people who were invoking Allah for Umar bin Al-Khattab who was lying (dead) on his bed, a man behind me rested his elbows on my shoulders and said:
    '(O Umar!) May Allah bestow His Mercy on you. I always hoped that Allah will keep you with your two companions, for I often heard Allah's Messenger (sallahu alyhi wa salam) saying, ' I, Abu Bakr and Umar were (somewhere). I, Abu Bakr and Umar set out.'
    So I hoped that Allah will keep you with both of them.'
    I turned back to see the speaker was Ali bin Abi Talib.

{Bukhari}

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Nusaybah View Post
    I think compiling a list of the things a revert should know exactly one year after taking Shahada, would put undue pressure on some reverts. That's because everyone learns differently and it may take some people 2 years what some others can learn in 1 year. And it could cause burn outs. I'd just say for each person to learn at their own paste or get a teacher if they want a more structured learning environment.
    That's true. One revert who took Shahada in August 2010 has progressed faster than greased lightning and probably knows more stuff than most 30 something Muslims who have been Muslim all their life know. He has knowledge of every single obscure etiquette and he gives talks on advanced material on Tablighi Jamaat. On the other hand I have encountered reverts who do not know about the new moon for Ramadan and Eid and cannot even recite sura Ikhlas after more than 2 years since they took their Shahada.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Riaz77 For This Useful Post:
    ContemplateQuran (24th November 2011)

Add Musaafira on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Riaz77 View Post
    I'm compiling a list of the things a revert should know exactly one year after taking Shahada as part of a dawah project. What things do you think should be on that list? For example, I'm expecting that they should have memorised at least 5 of the last 10 suras but not all of sura Ya-Sin, and they should know how to practice wudu and the fard salaat but not have in depth knowledge of the Hadith.
    They Should Know Tawheed (Conditions and Pillars)
    Aqeedah What the ahle sunnah beliefs are (other deviant beliefs can come much later when they have perfected their obligatory duties)
    They Should Know their Salah, Its conditions and negations.
    Wudu and Ghusl, also What Negates it.
    Sawm and What Negates it.
    Zakat
    They should understand their individual obligatory duties towards other Muslims.
    How to read Quran.
    Pillars of Imaan.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Scented Blood View Post
    Im more interested in what our duty to them is with regards to topics we should cover with them.

Of course there is the wisdom in dealing with reverts so you dont over burden them so set a timetable for them or compare them to others.
    What is needed is a syllabus for reverts similar in function to a school or college syllabus. It must strike a balance between what is important to know and what can reasonably be achieved in a year assuming the person is working or studying full time.

Like you say people learn at different rates and people's situations are different so what might be easy for one person to give up will be hard for someone else.
    The syllabus can be used to identify what topics reverts have successfully mastered and where they are struggling. It will be possible to perform periodic checks on their performance similar to an annual review at school or an appraisal at work.

I think we need an equal amount of learning in dealing with reverts as they do about Islam.
    What we need are mentors for reverts to monitor their progress, provide advice, and support them over the first few years.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Riaz77 For This Useful Post:
    Fadl (24th November 2011)

Im a revert, and the most important thing really isnt how much you know after 1 year, it's who you know. Because if you hang around other Muslims who are good examples then you will pick up things from them. Rasoolullah (saws) said, "Whoever loves a people is from them, and a person is with those whom he loves", and "a man does not love a person except that Allah will cause him to be with them".

For example, when I first became Muslim I had a buddy who used to go to Fajr everyday and would take me. So through him, I became accustomed to praying salatul fajr. I picked up other good habits from the people I surrounded myself with. Before I was Muslim, I used to hang out with friends doing stuff like getting drunk, smoking, partying, chasing girls, listening to loud rap music etc. But when I became Muslim, I started distancing myself away from my pre-Islamic friends and other people I knew before Islam.

Reverts have to be taken care of, but also have to take care of themselves by choices on who they hang with. Only you can do that for yourself, or make that decision. Also, reverts have to be kept away from non-practicing Muslims because they literally drain your iman and try to drag people down with them. I had this experience when I lived with a non-practicing Muslim. He was raised "Muslim", but didnt pray salat, didnt go to jumuah, and many other things. The iman of the ENTIRE household was lowered by him. And he'd try to get me to smoke weed with him, pursue women, and fight other people. Most of the things he'd try to encourage me to do with him were always negative. So I distanced myself and started having emnity towards him because of the fitnah he brought, and you dont want reverts around these kind of people.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to ChicagoSalafiyyah For This Useful Post:

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoSalafiyyah View Post
    Im a revert, and the most important thing really isnt how much you know after 1 year, it's who you know. Because if you hang around other Muslims who are good examples then you will pick up things from them.
    You make a very valid point but how are reverts to know exactly who is a good example and a bad example until they acquire sufficient knowledge to distinguish between the two? It's all to easy for reverts to end up mixing with disreputable people with weak iman, following bizarre sects, extremists and munafqins, etc. This is why a syllabus will provide crucial material which will help in being able to distinguish between Muslims who are good examples and those who are best avoided. Unlearning something is difficult so it's always better to get things right first time.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Riaz77 For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast