12 Children Die During Shirk Ceremony in Aceh Bridge Collapse

This is a discussion on 12 Children Die During Shirk Ceremony in Aceh Bridge Collapse within the Global Affairs forums, part of the Main Topics category; 12 Children Die in Aceh Bridge Collapse During Luck Ceremony Banda Aceh. Twelve Indonesian children died when a suspension bridge ...

Default 12 Children Die During Shirk Ceremony in Aceh Bridge Collapse

12 Children Die in Aceh Bridge Collapse During Luck Ceremony

Banda Aceh. Twelve Indonesian children died when a suspension bridge collapsed as they were taking part in a traditional ceremony to dispel bad luck, an official said on Monday.

The accident took place on Sunday in a remote village in Aceh province, district head Ibnu Hasyim said.

“There were about 37 kids gathered together on a wire-cable suspension bridge when it collapsed and they fell into a river,” he said.

Twenty-five children were rescued with minor injuries but 12 others, all below the age of 12, were swept away in the strong currents.

The children were watching a ritual ceremony to dispel misfortune after a measles outbreak in the area.

“The adults were throwing offerings in the form of chickens into the river” when the bridge collapsed, the official said.

Isn't Aceh supposed to be the most Islamic province in Indonesia? I was always skeptical of Indonesia being the largest Muslim country while ash Shirk Al Akbar seems to be prevelant part of society there. I've seen shows where Indonesians calling themselves Muslims were praying to some rice god to bring them rain for their rice crops.
    Last edited by Don YuKon; 8th June 2010 at 10:22 PM.

Default Re: 12 Children Die During Shirk Ceremony in Aceh Bridge Collapse

There are non-muslims living there you know?
    and yes many Muslims all over the world have stuck to cultural practices, I think it's our job to give dawah to these Muslims.

Default Re: 12 Children Die During Shirk Ceremony in Aceh Bridge Collapse

Quote Originally Posted by Talib4life View Post
    There are non-muslims living there you know?
    and yes many Muslims all over the world have stuck to cultural practices, I think it's our job to give dawah to these Muslims.
    I know there are non Muslims there, but the government of Aceh says it is 99% Muslim, and the head of the villages name was Muhammad Yusuf. A lot of stuff I've seen on National Geographic from Indonesia has shown so called Muslims committing major shirk, which would take someone out of the fold of Islam, enough so they wouldn't be considered Muslims.