Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Life in Yemen; for a Somali

This is a discussion on Life in Yemen; for a Somali within the Global Affairs forums, part of the Main Topics category; With conflict raging in Somalia, thousands of Somalis have been risking one of the world's most dangerous boat journeys across ...

Default Life in Yemen; for a Somali

With conflict raging in Somalia, thousands of Somalis have been risking one of the world's most dangerous boat journeys across the Gulf of Aden to Yemen.

Ahmed Mohamed Abdul, 32, fled from Somalias capital, Mogadishu. "Life there became too difficult, there was just so much insecurity," he says.

Life in Yemen is also tough. Like hundreds of other young Somali men, Ahmed makes a living washing cars.

Ahmed and other Somali refugees say the Yemeni people generally treat him well, but Somalis are an easy target for insults and often the first to be on the receiving end of violence.

Ahmed says it can be difficult getting clients to pay up, and often they only give him a fraction of what was promised.

As well as car washing, Somali migrants can be found doing other casual, menial jobs in Yemen like sweeping the streets, washing dishes or for women working as domestic maids.

Ahmed works on the streets of the capital, Sanaa, where he earns between 300 and 500 Yemeni riyals a day ($1.50-$2.50). In Somalia he drove supplies of food across the country.

"I would earn good money every month. But there were many bandits on the road trying to steal the goods and kill people.

Recently I was even shot myself - I received two bullets: one in my ankle and one in my shoulder. Afterwards I tried to continue working, but then it got too dangerous."

Ahmed's 19-year-old sister, Fatum, tells the story of why she left.

"One day I was out walking and some Ethiopian soldiers started to beat me with their guns, and then they raped me right there in the street, she says.

I ran away but later, that same night, they found my house and came to repeat their actions."

"I don't mind if you show my picture because then everybody will know what's happening in Somalia and do something about it."

"...But if they seek your help in religion, it is your duty to help them..." (Surah al Anfal:Verse 72).

"Anyone who is aware of the weakness of the Muslims in the face of their enemy, knows that he can reach them and can assist them, it is also upon him to march forward." - Al Qurtubi
    Last edited by Abu Treika; 9th July 2008 at 04:52 PM. Reason: ..........
    ...and Allah has preferred the Mujahideen above those who sit by a huge reward - An Nisaa 95

Akhi the problem with the somali refuges in Yemen is a massive problem. There are more than 60,000 with the majority in San'aa.

With food prices going up and less jobs they are generating alot of xenophobia and are seen to be taking local jobs.

p.s could you remove the picture of the sister as she is not covered.

Not pushing fault anywhere bro but there is a reason for escape from Somalia; and the help seems very little or not enough.

With food prices going up and less jobs they are generating alot of xenophobia and are seen to be taking local jobs.
    Yes I can understand that, sure their must be order, the surrounding muslim countries should start to show where this brotherhood is? but I cant help think this is what they say to Muslims in parts of the UK for example. They key objective should be how to remove the occupiers from somalia.
    Last edited by Hamza; 9th July 2008 at 05:18 PM.
    ...and Allah has preferred the Mujahideen above those who sit by a huge reward - An Nisaa 95

Mustafa al-Muhaajir

Quote Originally Posted by Abu Ma'mar View Post
    Akhi the problem with the somali refuges in Yemen is a massive problem. There are more than 60,000 with the majority in San'aa.
    Sad reality. But, not all of them arrived in Yemen recently. I know of many Somali families who have resided in Yemen for generations, so long that they are practically Yemenis.

Pro-Tawheed

la hawla wala quwata illa billah

Abu Shawarma

Quote Originally Posted by Mustafa al-Muhaajir View Post
    Sad reality. But, not all of them arrived in Yemen recently. I know of many Somali families who have resided in Yemen for generations, so long that they are practically Yemenis.
    My father grew up in Yemen, and coming from North Somalia I have many family members and even sections of my clan/tribe that are basically Yemenis. Somalis settle in 'Aden and other parts of southern Yemen for the most part though.

The recent refugees are from the deep South where the Ethiopian troops are stationed so they know very little of Yemeni society.

But to be honest I don't blame the Yemenis since they themselves are the poorest amongst the Arabs. This article could've been named: "Life in Saudi Arabia, for a Yemeni" since there are many poor Yemeni kids who travel across the border to Saudi Arabia to be beggers. It is not fair to over-burden Yemenis with the problems of the Somalis. I also don't like the idea of people risking their lives on sea just to come to Yemen. I mean, it is understandable in extreme cases (eventhough it would be safer/easier just to relocate to a different part of Somalia, maybe the Northern Areas), but is it even islamic to risk drowning on sea when there are other options available? Their end-goal is usually to get to Europe or the US somehow. A huge percentage of them die on sea and those who make it usually end up living in the streets of Yemen. It's not just Somalis, many Ethiopian muslims are in "the same boat", so to speak.

You just go to Mogadishu with your family for a day and then come back and talk about "other options"

Abu Shawarma

Quote Originally Posted by Abu Bakr as-Somali View Post
    You just go to Mogadishu with your family for a day and then come back and talk about "other options"
    So Mogadishu is the only city in Somalia? Why not just stop at one of the hundreds of cities that they travel through on their way to Bosaso?

You mean to tell me you see nothing wrong with travelling from Xamar to Bosaso, paying hundreds of dollars to some shady smugglers (money that could've been spent more wisely) who sometimes dump these refugees in the sea, and risking ones life and the life of your familiy just so you can go to Yemen with the hope of eventually ending up in the West?? You mean to tell me thats their last resort?? You're forgetting that they started doing this way before the US-backed Habashi invasion.

I don't know about you, but the thought of a young sister travelling all that distance and risking to be raped, killed or to be dumped in the sea just so she can get to Yemen troubles me.

Akhi, this is about coming to Europe.

Easy for you to say as you already live in the west, and there was war in Mogadishu a long time before the Ethiopian invasion.

Abu Shawarma

Quote Originally Posted by Abu Bakr as-Somali View Post
    Easy for you to say as you already live in the west, and there was war in Mogadishu a long time before the Ethiopian invasion.
    lol dude, you totally missed my point.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast