Turkey headscarf law approved

This is a discussion on Turkey headscarf law approved within the Politics, Jihad and Current Affairs forums, part of the Main Topics category; Turkey's president has approved a constitutional change allowing students to wear headscarves at university despite strong objections from secularists. The ...

Default Turkey headscarf law approved

Turkey's president has approved a constitutional change allowing students to wear headscarves at university despite strong objections from secularists.

The approval by Abdullah Gul, a former ruling AK Party foreign minister, was never seriously in doubt, though secularists had argued it should be rejected in the interest of national unity.

Turkey's parliament voted to end the headscarf ban on February 9 after the AK Party, which has Islamic roots, won the backing of a key nationalist party.

Secularists, including army generals and judges, fear lifting the ban will undermine the separation of state and religion in Turkey.

Secularist objections

The main secularist opposition party, the CHP, said it would appeal to the constitutional court to overturn the move.
    Recep Tayyip Erdogan, Turkey's prime minister, said lifting the ban was essential for religious freedom in Turkey, a candidate for European Union membership.

In a statement, Gul's office sought to justify the amendments as an attempt to provide equal access for all citizens to higher education.

"The amendments do not conflict with the basic principles of the republic," it said.

It noted that legislators representing 80 per cent of Turkey's citizens had voted in favour of the constitutional amendments in parliament.

The government must still amend a law governing the state body for higher education before the changes can take effect.

The headscarf ban in universities dates back to the 1980s but was tightened in 1997 when army generals, with public support, overthrew a government.

http://english.aljazeera.net/NR/exer...1183711A52.htm

2C oursels as ithers C us Umm Ahmed's Avatar

Good news alhamdulilaah
    Deeds are your money on the day of judgement , make sure you collect plenty now.

Say (O Muhammad SAW):"I am not a new thing among the Messengers (of All‚h) (i.e. I am not the first Messenger) nor do I know what will be done with me or with you. I only follow that which is revealed to me, and I am but a plain warner." (Al-Ahqaf 46:9)

Pro-Tawheed

alhamdulillah, may Allah restore Islam in turkey. What a shame it was, that the home of the last khilafa, turned even against our poor sisters' dresses.