"When I hear his voice, it's very scary and I'm living now with the stress that anything can happen any minute. And what am I going to tell the kids?"
(Mona El-Fouli, wife of Canadian detainee, Mohammad Mahjoub, on hunger strike)

8 Reasons to Close Guantanamo Now

by Karen J Greenburg

The first detainees arrived in Guant?namo four months to the day after the 9/11 attacks. From the opening of Camp X-Raythe first site of imprisonment, notorious for its tin-roofed open-air cagesto the recently completed permanent prison known as Camp 6, critics have called for its closure. Even President Bush has said, Id like to end Guant?namo. Id like it to be over with. Yet he refuses to close it because, he says, it holds detainees who will murder somebody if they are let out on the street.

Its time to look at the powerful reasons to close Guant?namo, both the standard ones enumerated belowand also what may be the most compelling, if unspoken, one of all: Guant?namo must be closed because the United States needs to indicate that it has decided to change course. Closing Guant?namo will help to restore Americas standing in the world and in the eyes of its own citizens.

#1 It is a legal no-mans-land
#2 It violates the Geneva Conventions
#3 Prisoners are degraded and abused
#4 Prisoners have no way to prove their innocence
#5 It undermines intelligence efforts
#6 It creates new enemies
#7 It alienates our allies
#8 It will signal a fundamental change of strategy in the war on terror

Events

SOAS War on Terror Week
19th-23rd February
Monday 19th: 'The Road to Guantanamo'; with guest speakers: Ruhal Ahmad, Shafiq Rasul, Arfan Usman. 5-7pm, Rm G52
Tuesday 20th: 'Enemy Combatant' - Moazzam Begg with Maajid Nawaz, 5-7pm, Junior Common Room
Thursday 22nd: 'War on Terror Exposed' - a panel discussion with Clive Stafford Smith, George Galloway, Ashfaq Ahmad and more. 4:30-6pm, Junior Common Room
Friday 23rd: World Chechnya Day - 5-7pm, L67

Evening Seminar: America and the War on Terror
Friday 23rd February 6-9pm, London Muslim Centre
Dr Karen Greenberg, Dr Kamal Helbawy, Prof Stephen Holmes and former Guantanamo detainee

Vigil For David Hicks
This Friday 16th February, outside the Department of Foreign Affairs on the corner of Lonsdale and Spring Sts, 12 noon- 1pm. Rod Quantock will chair this vigil, and other speakers include Omar Merhi, the brother of Abdullah Merhi, one of 13 men imprisoned in Guantanamo-like conditions - orange jumpsuits, solitary confinement and shackles - in Barwon prison, near Geelong, without trial, since 2005.

Weekly Friday Demo
All dressed up and nowhere to go on a Friday evening? Then join the LONDON GUANTANAMO CAMPAIGN every Friday evening at 6-7pm outside the American Embassy, Grosvenor Square, Mayfair, W1, to call on the American government to shut down the detention facility at Guant?namo Bay

Campaigns

Appeal from Yvonne Ridley - Save the "Agenda" Programme
The Agenda - Yvonne Ridley's current affairs programme on the Islam Channel - has been pulled off the air in what Yvonne calls "an insane act of self censorship by the head of the channel who is trying to ingratiate himself with the establishment."
Related: Yvonne Ridley's The Agenda Suspended From Islam Channel

Campaign Update: Condition of Khalid Khawaja
Khalid Khawaja, Chief Coordinator Defence of Human Rights, wrote from Adiala Jail, giving a detailed account of what kind of high profile conspiracy is going on against him.

Update from Gitmo North on Day 80 of Hunger Strike
"We may not have much more time, so please keep up the pressure in standing for our rights. We thank you for your kindness and support." -- Open Letter from Mahmoud Jaballah, Mohammad Mahjoub, Hassan Almrei, Day 80 of hunger strike

Legal Issues

Omar v. Harvey: Using International Law To Limit Human Rights
by Aziz Huq
Government arguments in the detention context, from its claims about the status of Guantanamo through its manufacture of the "enemy combatant" designation, are unified by a single theme: the effort to establish an area of absolute factual discretion, in which the 99% who may be innocent may be held alongside the risky remainder.

Downloads

Video: Moazzam Begg on Detainment, Torture, and Civil Liberties
Part 5
Part 1 Part 2 Part 3 Part 4
Recorded November 12, 2006 at Mount Holyoke College.

Articles

Rotten at the Source
by Victoria Brittain
The IPCC report into events at Forest Gate is a poor piece of work and avoids the main issue of police using false intelligence.

Abusing the Profession
by Peter Kinderman
Why hasn't there been more of an outcry from professional psychologists about the practice of torture in the 'war on terror'?

Canada's Responsibility to Omar Khadr
by Muneer Ahmad
Announcing the government's $11.5-million settlement with Maher Arar recently, Prime Minister Stephen Harper stated: "Canada fully understands and appreciates and shares the United States' concerns with regard to security.

Inside Americas Gulag
by H. Candace Gorman
According to the U.S. government, Guant?namo Bay is leased to Uncle Sam by the Cuban government. However, Cuba does not recognize U.S. claims to the Bay and has not accepted lease payments for decades.

Interrogations Behind Barbed Wire
by Mischa Gaus
His psychiatrists call it "Groundhog Day.

An Iraq Interrogator's Nightmare
by Eric Fair
A man with no face stares at me from the corner of a room. He pleads for help, but I'm afraid to move. He begins to cry. It is a pitiful sound, and it sickens me. He screams, but as I awaken, I realize the screams are mine.

US Refuses To Sign UN Ban on Renditions and Secret Detention
by Kate Randall
Fifty-seven countries signed a UN treaty on Tuesday that bans governments from carrying out forced disappearances and holding individuals in secret detention. Washington, as well as a number of European governments, including Britain, Germany, Spain and Italy, refused to sign.

Birmingham Raids
by Yvonne Ridley
Who has benefitted most from the outrageous media frenzy and lurid headlines of the last few days?

Freed Kidnap Suspect: My Terror at Police Raid
by Steve Morris
One of the men arrested during the Birmingham terror raids launched a blistering attack last night on the authorities for the way he was seized, held for a week and questioned for barely four hours about apparently trivial matters.

[More Articles at Cageprisoners.com]

News

GUANTANAMO

Lawmakers Seeking Method To Choke Off Funds For Guantanamo

Bush Order Allows Guantanamo Trials To Move Ahead

Spanish Police Carried Out Illegal Interrogations in Guantanamo Bay

US Ignores A Dozen Requests on Hicks

Guantanamo Prisoners 'Ruthless Fanatics': Ambassador

Bill Would Restore Detainees' Rights, Define 'Combatant'

Top British Attorney: U.S. Has Failed To Fix Guantanamo Flaws

India To Investigate Hicks over Kashmir

Attorneys for 3 Guantanamo Detainees Criticize New Tribunal Rules

Democrats Weigh Plan To Clear Out Gitmo

Lawyer for Ex-Guantanamo Prisoner Sues US for Release of Vital Documents

GHOST

Britain Shamed Over CIA Flights

EU Endorses Damning Report on CIA

Three Missing Men in Govt Custody

Ghost Detainee Zammar Gets Twelve Years

Imam in Alleged CIA Kidnap Case Says He is a Wreck

Imam Wants To Sue Berlusconi Over CIA 'Kidnap'

No Proof of C.I.A. Illegality, Portuguese Premier Says

U.S. Officials Worry Sanctions Could Cause Iran To Release Al-Qaeda Suspects

U.S. Won't React Yet To German CIA Warrants

Three Swiss Journalists Accused of Publishing Secret Data on CIA Activities in Romania

Italy's Intel Chief: I Did Not Help CIA

UK

Police May Gain New Powers on Questioning

Britons Released After Return From Somalia

Forest Gate Raid Police Had No Choice, Says Watchdog

Met Urged To Apologise Over Forest Gate Raid

Torture Fears as Algerian Loses Asylum Appeal

UK Authorities Actively Involved in Extraordinary Rendition of Four British Citizens

No 10 Rejects Police State Claim

Sixth Man on Terror Charge

Terror Alert School is Shut Down

Ex-Terror Plot Suspect Speaks Out

US

Ex-Houstonian is Accused of Ties to al-Qaida

CIA Interrogator Jailed Over Prisoner Death

Padilla Fit For Trial -US Doctors

Appeals Court Backs Detainee

MISCELLANEOUS

Spain Divided As Bomb Trial Begins

French Police Round Up 9 Terror Suspects