You're a security risk & you can't come in!

This is a discussion on You're a security risk & you can't come in! within the Global Affairs forums, part of the Main Topics category; A mum was turned away from a college parents’ evening – because she was wearing a veil. Maroon Rafique was ...

Default You're a security risk & you can't come in!

A mum was turned away from a college parents’ evening – because she was wearing a veil.

Maroon Rafique was refused entry to Manchester College by senior staff who told her there was a ban on face coverings.

The mum-of-two, from Whalley Range, said she was left stunned and dismayed.

She had to phone husband Abdul, who attended the meeting with their 18-year-old son Awais, while she sat in the lobby of the college’s Northenden campus.

Bosses at the college said that all students and visitors are asked to keep their faces visible for ‘safety and security’ reasons.

Mrs Rafique, 40, who has worn the full veil, or niqab, for seven years, said: “I’m born in this country and British. Why should what I wear offend anyone? “I didn’t want to make any fuss. All I wanted was to find out the information to help my son go to university.

“I offered to sit at the back or at the front, anywhere where I wouldn’t be seen, if they thought I was going to offend anyone.

“I was really upset because whenever I’ve visited the college before and there’s never been a problem, in fact the tutors have been welcoming and friendly.”

Mrs Rafique, who is married to double-glazing firm boss Abdul, 40, and has a younger son, Ibrahim, 12, added: “I do get abuse every now and again in the street – which I just have to deal with. However, I was very surprised when I was treated this way by the college.”

Business student Awais, 18, who hopes to take an accountancy course at Manchester University, said: “It was really embarrassing when they told her she couldn’t come in. We’ve never, ever been told about any rule about what parents can wear.”

A spokeswoman for Manchester College said Mrs Rafique’s concerns were being taken ‘very seriously’ following the incident.

She added: “The Manchester College provides a safe and inclusive environment that fosters development and achievement.

“We apply a single dress code to all college users, including learners and visitors.

“At all times we need to be able to identify all individuals easily in order to maintain safety and security and therefore we ask that faces are clearly visible whilst indoors.

“Our dress code is reviewed through our quality improvement group and we will take this situation into account at the next review.”

Mum Maroon Rafique banned from Manchester College parents' evening... for wearing a veil | Manchester Evening News - menmedia.co.uk

Default Re: You're a security risk & you can't come in!

This sounds like a job for our heros at Mpac
    (Muslims prancing around campus).

Lets see them step up or is there no real drama here for them to feed off?

Narrated by Ibn Abbas.
    While I was standing amongst the people who were invoking Allah for Umar bin Al-Khattab who was lying (dead) on his bed, a man behind me rested his elbows on my shoulders and said:
    '(O Umar!) May Allah bestow His Mercy on you. I always hoped that Allah will keep you with your two companions, for I often heard Allah's Messenger (sallahu alyhi wa salam) saying, ' I, Abu Bakr and Umar were (somewhere). I, Abu Bakr and Umar set out.'
    So I hoped that Allah will keep you with both of them.'
    I turned back to see the speaker was Ali bin Abi Talib.

{Bukhari}

Any contact details for manchester college?

We should all call up tomorrow...or drop in an email
    Al-Fudayl Ibn `Iyaad said: "Whoever finds discomfort in loneliness and comfort in people's company, his heart is not safe from Riyaa (insincerity)"

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Umm DJ-N For This Useful Post:
    ayub57 (25th June 2012), Striving4Sunnah (25th June 2012)

If someone wants to blow up their college, they will wear Western clothes not Islamic clothes. ..

aslamualykum

..if the picture of the sister posing in the daily mirror is correct then i say to her....why allow yourself to photographed in a model pose...???.
    where is your haya when it came to this pose for the picture..???..it was wrong what happened but it should be no surprise in todays climate.....but your pose is fare from humble...it can be a fitna...

Quote Originally Posted by Umm DJ-N View Post
    Any contact details for manchester college?

We should all call up tomorrow...or drop in an email
    College Switchboard: 0161 909 6655
    Email: enquiries@themanchestercollege.ac.uk
    Minicom: 0161 920 4455
    Speech/hearing impairments text: 07760 350011
    Fax: 0161 953 3909

The Manchester College
    Ashton Old Road
    Openshaw
    Manchester
    M11 2WH

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ayub57 For This Useful Post:
    Umm DJ-N (25th June 2012), walid (25th June 2012)

Quote Originally Posted by abu_zakariyia View Post
    aslamualykum

..if the picture of the sister posing in the daily mirror is correct then i say to her....why allow yourself to photographed in a model pose...???.
    where is your haya when it came to this pose for the picture..???..it was wrong what happened but it should be no surprise in todays climate.....but your pose is fare from humble...it can be a fitna...
    What are you on about??? What "modal pose" are you referring to?? Where is her haya? Where are your brains??
    .ISLAM ANY OTHER WAY IS MAKE BELIEVE
    "There will come a time when people will gather in their mosques, and there won't be a single believer in them"

brother liveislam...i was shown a picture on the internet (daily mail site), it was clearly a pose unless they have taken down that particular image or used someone else's picture.....please do not be rude and ask me where are my brains....you seem to be hot tempered judging by your reply to me...Allah knows best....i can find the image for you if you like