Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Books by Abdul Qadir Jilani

This is a discussion on Books by Abdul Qadir Jilani within the Islam in General forums, part of the Main Topics category; Salam Alaikum, I noticed some books by Shaykh Abdul Qadir Jilani (RA) on Amazon. Can anyone offer any advice on ...

Default Books by Abdul Qadir Jilani

Salam Alaikum,

I noticed some books by Shaykh Abdul Qadir Jilani (RA) on Amazon. Can anyone offer any advice on any of them (quality, reliability, etc.)?

Revelations of the Unseen (Futuh al Ghaib)

The Secret of Secrets

Fifteen Letters (Khamsata 'Ashara Maktuban)

Purification of the Mind (Jila' Al-Khatir)

Utterances of Shaikh 'Abd al-Qadir al-Jilani (Malfuzat)

The Removal of Cares [Jala' al-Khawatir]
    Last edited by Sharif; 3rd November 2008 at 07:55 AM.

I'm sure most of them are falsely attributed and/or tampered with by people who claim to be his followers.

"Victory is changing the hearts of your opponents by gentleness and kindness" -Saladin

Yeah, I was afraid of that.

How about Futuh al Ghaib?

*bump*

Default Re: Books by Abdul Qadir Jilani

*bump*

I need help on the same issue insha'Allah.

Banned

Fatuh al-ghaib is agreed to be al-jilanis book, ibn taymiya even wrote a commentary on it

I suggest you throw away all of al-jilanis books as he had some major kufri beliefs, like Allah revealing some of his secrets to the walis on earth as stated in fatuh al-rabbani

If you take everything jilani said you will leave islam faster then a arrow leaves the bow

He was indeed a true sufi heretic and nothing changes from their beliefs, no matter how many fairy tales people make about them

And i think it was ibn jouzi who refuted jilani and his followers since he had major beef with them. And he knew them better then anyone afterward who praised him like ibn taymiya did

As-Salaamu 'Alaykum wa Rahmatullaah,

I have Futuh al-Ghaib and there are a couple things that I have reservations about, mainly to do with Sufi concepts. For example, the book makes reference to Sufi states and stations (e.g. Badaliyyah, Ghawthiyyah, Qutbiyyah). I am aware that these bear some theologically objectionable implications in Sufi cosmology. However, I am not sure how they were intended in earlier and more sober Sufism like Sh. 'Abd al-Qadir's - many items of Sufi terminology were intended with a certain meaning by righteous Sufis, and exploited and given different meanings by later Sufis. Allaahu A'lam, maybe a more knowledgeable brother could comment on these specific examples.

Also, the translator refers to the Shaykh as Ghawth al-A'zam on the cover and in the glossary.

Other than these points, the actual content of the book is in line with Qur'an and Sunnah, and I would highly recommend it as a useful provision for someone who is trying to increase his eemaan and struggle against his nafs in order to attain waseelah to Allaah. I have not looked at Fath ar-Rabbani in detail, but I would assume it would be the same.

However, far from Apathy's misplaced aspersions, the shaykh is most certainly a scholar of the Sunnah.

When speaking about people, what we say must be based on knowledge and fairness. In the case of a man who has achieved a great deal in the way of religion, we must acknowledge his achievements, but that does not prevent us from pointing out his mistakes. This general principle is to be applied when speaking of Shaykh Abd al-Qaadir al-Jilaani and other Muslim scholars.

Shaykh Abd al-Qaadir (may Allaah have mercy on him) is one of the imaams of Islam. He attained a position of leadership over the Muslims of his time, in knowledge, good deeds, issuing fatwas and other aspects of religion. He was one of the greatest shaykhs of his time, enjoining adherence to the shareeah, enjoining what is good, forbidding what is evil, and giving that precedence over all else. He was an ascetic (zaahid) and a preacher, in whose gatherings many people repented. Allaah caused him to be well-liked by people and his virtue became widely-known may Allaah bestow abundant mercy upon him.

Shaykh Abd al-Qaadir was a follower, not an innovator. He followed the way of the righteous salaf and in his books he encouraged people to follow the salaf; he also enjoined that upon his followers. He used to tell people not to follow innovations in religion, and he stated clearly that he was opposed to the ahl al-kalaam (Islamic philosophers) such as the Asharis and their ilk.

Shaykh Abd al-Qaadir agreed with Ahl al-Sunnah wal-Jamaaah the followers of truth concerning all issues of aqeedah (belief), namely Tawheed, faith, Prophethood, and the Last Day.

There are some minor mistakes and errors in his books, and some innovations which are relatively insignificant when compared with his achievements. To find out more about them, along with an explanation of where he went wrong, please see Shaykh Abd al-Qaadir al-Jilaani wa Araauhu al-Itidaaqiyyah wal-Soofiyyah, by Shaykh Dr. Saeed ibn Musfir al-Qahtaani, 440-476.

Moreover, it is not right to make one Muslim scholar, let alone anyone else, the sole source of what is true and correct, in the sense that one takes what he says as being true and what goes against that as being false not Shaykh Abd al-Qaadir and not anyone else. Rather the truth is that which is in accordance with the Quraan and Sunnah, no matter who says it, and what goes against the Quraan and Sunnah should be ignored and avoided, even if it is said by Abd al-Qaadir al-Jilaani, Maalik, al-Shaafai, Ahmad or anyone else.

There is a point which we must make here, which is that praising Shaykh Abd al-Qaadir does not mean praising everyone who claims to follow him. Not everyone who claims to follow a shaykh or a tareeqah or anything else is to be believed. How often has it happened that a person who is thought to be a true follower turned out to be the farthest removed from what was thought to be the case? How many misleading people don the cloak of asceticism and piety when they have nothing to do with either of them? Hence the Sufi tareeqah which is known nowadays as the Qaadiriyyah is not following the straight path which the Shaykh (may Allaah have mercy on him) followed, rather it is a deviant Sufi tareeqah which has deviated from the guidance of the Quraan and Sunnah; it exaggerates a great deal about Shaykh Abd al-Qaadir and even attributes to him things that can only rightfully be attributed to Allaah. Some of them exaggerate concerning his grave, seeking help from it, and some of them exaggerate about his attributes and miracles (karaamah).
    Islam Question and Answer - The truth about Shaykh al-Jilaani and Shaykh Ibn ?Abd al-Wahhaab

`Abd al-Qdir al-Jln was a prominent Hanbal jurist and one of the moderate Sufi scholars. His belief was correct, in conformity with that of the Salaf. He used to call people to the correct path and to avoid innovation. Ibn Taymiyah speaks highly of him in many of his books.

However, it should not go unnoticed that this venerable sheikh had fallen into some innovations in his practice and at times relied upon weak hadth. He also employed some Sufi concepts in his public addresses.

Here are some of his mistakes that we should be aware of:

1. He said it is permissible to travel with the specific intention of visiting the grave of the Prophet (peace be upon him).

2. He permitted during supplications for a person to ask Allah for something "for the sake of the Prophet (peace be upon him)".

3. He encouraged certain acts of worship to be carried out in the month of Rajab and also in the middle of Sha`ban.

4. He prescribed some specific prayers to be performed on certain days and nights.

5. He attributed special rewards for the fast of `Ashr that are not cited in the hadth.
    `Abd al-Qdir al-Jln | IslamToday - English

See also this thread: http://forums.islamicawakening.com/f...l-istiwa-1991/

If there is any objectionable content in his books it means a) what he is saying is being misconstrued or b) he didn't write it.
    Last edited by Sharif; 14th April 2010 at 02:49 AM.

Banned

Jilani was further from the sunna then the asharis are, you should not blindly follow islamqa and read his books yourself. And if you can find ibn jouzi radd on him it would be even better

People only praise him bc he was hanbali and ibn taymiya did so even though ibn taymiya came hundreds of years later, unlike ibn jouzi who was his contemporary

Both of jilanis books fatuh ul rabbani and al ghaib are agreed to be authentically his and they both contain kufri beliefs. Do not take my word for it, read them yourself and you will know the sunna is free from this sufi heretic

Quote Originally Posted by Apathy View Post
    Jilani was further from the sunna then the asharis are, you should not blindly follow islamqa and read his books yourself. And if you can find ibn jouzi radd on him it would be even better

People only praise him bc he was hanbali and ibn taymiya did so even though ibn taymiya came hundreds of years later, unlike ibn jouzi who was his contemporary

Both of jilanis books fatuh ul rabbani and al ghaib are agreed to be authentically his and they both contain kufri beliefs. Do not take my word for it, read them yourself and you will know the sunna is free from this sufi heretic
    Are you sure it is Ibn Al-Jawzi or Ibn al Qayyum. They are different people. There are many false books that are attributed to Shaykh Abdul Qadir Al Jilani. Fatah ur Rabbani and the other one are not surely attributed to him. There was a post by brother Abu Adam about it. You gotta make sure what you are reading from him because Sufi's have tampered with lot of his books and even wrote books in his name which he has not written himself.

Salaam. Another book that is authored by him is Ghubyat at-Talibeen this book. here is a small excerpt from the book:

Shaykh Abdul-Qaadir al-Jeeelaanee (d. 561H) said:

And from their saying [the Saalimiyyah] is that Allaah is in every place and [that] there is no difference between the Throne and [what] is other than it of the [various] places. And in the Qur'an is rejection of them [them being declared liars]. Allaah, the Mighty and Majestic said: "Ar-Rahmaan ascended above the Throne." And it was not said, "...ascended above the earth..." and nor upon the interiors of mountains. And mountains and other than them are from the places (amkinah).
    And this is the end of what is associated with [the affair of] i'tiqaad (belief) and usool (foundations) from the aspect of (mere) indication and conciseness.

Ghunyat ut-Taalibeen of Shaykh Abdul-Qaadir al-Jeelaanee (1/241-242)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast