Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

contradictions in the quran?

This is a discussion on contradictions in the quran? within the Islam in General forums, part of the Main Topics category; Assalamu Alaykum brothers and sisters in islam I don't know if these are contradictions, but i am ignorant and i ...

Default contradictions in the quran?

Assalamu Alaykum brothers and sisters in islam
    I don't know if these are contradictions, but i am ignorant and i admit to that...i already asked this question before on a different forum but no sooner was it deleted. So i'm sorry for my ignorance and my misunderstandings...I know that to even believe the quraan has contradictions is kufr but subhanallah i am not even saying that there is contradictions because how can i without knowledge? Also...i don't know a lot about Islam i am still studying and when i come across these things, i have questions...i have doubts...and thats normal...please if anyone knows please help me to understand the quraan because right now i'm confused and ignorant! (don't delete this thread...that doesn't do anything for me...lol)

ok so here we go inshaallah
    Quran 7: 54 Your gurdian-Lord is Allah who created the heavens and earth in Six DaysQuran 10: 3 Verily your Lord is Allah, who created the heavens and earth in Six Days[LEFT]
    Quran 11:7 He it is Who created the heavens and earth in Six Days
    Quran-25:29: He Who created the heavens and earth and all that is between, in Six Days

but then it reads:

Quran 41: 9 Is it that ye deny Him who created the earth in Two Days Quran 41: 10 He set on the (earth) Mountains standing firm high above it, and bestowed blessing on the earth, and measured therein all things to give them nourishment in due proportion, in FOUR DAYS…Quran 41: 12 So He completed them (heavens) as seven firmaments in Two days and …

So if you do the math that = 8 days and not 6

Ok...another thing:

Quran 22: 47 A day in the sight of the Lord is like a thousand years of your reckoning. Quran-32:5: To Him, on a Day, the space whereof will be a thousands years of your rekoning

Quran 70: 4 The angels and the spirit ascend unto him in a day the measure whereof is Fifty thousands years.

ok i just noticed above that thousands is in PLURAL...so could also mean 50,000 but why does it say a thousands? its probably just a grammar translation...error, right?

ok something else:
    Quran 21: 32 And We have made the sky a roof withheld (from them). Yet they turn away from its portents.

Quran 31: 10 He hath created the heavens (Skies) without supports (pillars) that ye can see, and hath cast into the earth firm Mountains/Hills, so that it quake not with you; and He hath dispersed…

Quran 2: 22: Who has made the earth your couch, And the heavens (Sky) your canopy

and another thing:

Quran 15: 19 And the earth We have spread out (like a carpet); set thereon Mountains firm and immovable;

Isn't the earth round?
    Last edited by Ukhti; 14th December 2008 at 09:15 PM.

oh and i also got this from the web:

"Quran-23:14: Then fashioned We the drop (semen) a CLOT OF CONGEALED BLOOD then fashioned We the Clot a little lump (foetus), fashioned We the little lump into bones, then clothed the bones with flesh, and then produced it another creation. So blessed be Allah, the Best of Creators. ( Bengali translated Quran said: “Zamaa’t Raokto theeke Manoosh banieesi” And this Ayat has been repeated again and again throughout the Quran ) Quran-75:38: Then he becomes a CLOT; then (Allah) shaped and fashioned…

Quran 96: 2 Created man, out of a mere clot of congealed blood

There are serious scientific problems here:

Blood clot cannot grow into anything. This idea also came from the Greek. Aristotle erroneously believed that, humans are originated from the action of male semen upon female menstrual blood, which is absolutely an incorrect assumption. Quran’s assertion on Clot (alaqa) is completely wrong about human development, since there is absolutely no stage during which the embryo consists of a clot. The only situation in which an embryo might appear like a clot is during a miscarriage, in which case the clotted blood that is seen to emerge (much of which comes from mother) is solidified and by definition no longer alive. Therefore, if ever an embryo appeared to look like a clot it would never develop any further into a human; it would be a dead mass of bloody miscarrying flesh. Since Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) had some thirteen wives it is entirely possible that he would be very familiar with miscarriages.

Modern science tells us that, the formation of human embryo is a seamless continuation from conception to birth; hence there are no hard- and- fast boundaries of stages as Quran describes. Quran describes 4 stages, which matches exactly with Galenic description of development of human embryo (which was proved wrong by modern science).

Creation of bones and clothing of bones with flesh: According to modern embryologists including Prof. Moore, the tissue from which bone originates, known as mesoderm, is the same tissue as that from which muscle (flesh) develops. Thus bone and muscles begin to develop simultaneously, rather than sequentially (as the Quran is telling us). Moreover, most of the muscle tissue that we humans have is laid down before birth, but bones continue to develop and calcify (strengthen with calcium) right into one’s teenage years. So it would be more accurate if the Quran had said that muscles started to develop at the same time as bones, but completed their development earlier. The idea that bones are clothed with flesh is not only scientifically completely wrong/false, but was directly copied from the ancient Greek doctor Galen’s hypothesis.

Also, the idea of saying: “made into bones and clothed the bones with muscle” came from the technique of making animal statue out of rod and cement or mud. People usually make the skeleton (out of rod or stick) first and, then cover it up with cement or mud. This is scarcely a scientific description of embryonic development. It is rather a description of an unlettered man."

also sometimes its said humans are made from clay and others from water?

again sorry for my ignorance, please excuse me ...inshaallah
    and wasalam, jazakallahkhair

TAFKA BM

I'm not going to answer your question directly, I'll leave that to the more knowledgeable and studied brothers here, but I will offer some general advice. Stay away from these anti-Islamic websites, as they are places of lies and deception. Their only goal is create doubt and confusion by telling half-truths and maliciously distorting the verses of the Qur'an and the Prophetic sayings. These sites are run by human devils and they should be recognized as such.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Daniel For This Useful Post:
    JMC (29th August 2011)

It is as it should be. Turaabie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ukhti View Post

Quran 70: 4 The angels and the spirit ascend unto him in a day the measure whereof is Fifty thousands years.

ok i just noticed above that thousands is in PLURAL...so could also mean 50,000 but why does it say a thousands? its probably just a grammar translation...error, right?
    'AlaikumusSalaam,

Yes, it's a mistake.

Muhsin Khan: The angels and the Ruh [Jibrael (Gabriel)] ascend to Him in a Day the measure whereof is fifty thousand years,
    Yusuf Ali: The angels and the spirit ascend unto him in a Day the measure whereof is (as) fifty thousand years
    Abu al-Darda' (radhiAllahu `anhu): "Piety cannot be worn out, a sin is not truly forgotten and the Lord does not fall into slumber. So be the person you wish to be, for the way you treat others is how you shall be treated."

Question:

The Qur’an mentions in several places that the heavens and the earth were created in 6 days but in Surah Fussilat it says that the heavens and the earth were created in 8 days. Isn’t this a contradiction? The same verse also says that the earth was created in 6 days and then later on the heavens were created in 2 days. This is against the Big-Bang theory that the heavens and the earth were created simultaneously.

Answer By Dr Zakir Naik:

1. Heavens and the Earth created in Six days

I do agree that the Qur’an says that the heavens and the earth were created in 6 days i.e. 6 epochs and it is mentioned in

Surah Al A’raf chapter 7 verse 54
    Surah Yunus chapter 10 verse 3
    Surah Hud chapter 11 verse 7
    Surah Al Furqan chapter 25 verse 59
    Surah Al Sajdah chapter 32 verse 4
    Surah Qaf chapter 50 verse 38
    Surah Al Hadid chapter 57 verse 4

The verses of the Qur’an which according to you say that the heavens and the earth were created in 8 days are Surah Fussilat chapter 41 verses 9 to 12

"Say: Is it that ye deny Him Who created the earth in two days? And do ye join equals With him? He is the Lord of (all) the Worlds;

He set on the (earth) mountains standing firm, High above it, and bestowed blessings on the earth, and measured therein all things to give them nourishment in due proportion, In four days, in accordance with (the needs of) Those who seek (sustenance)."

Moreover, He Comprehended in His design the sky, and it had been (as) smoke. He said to it and to the earth. "Come ye together, willingly or unwillingly. They said: "We do come (Together), in willing obedience."

So He completed them as seven firmaments in two days and He assigned to each heaven its duty and command and We adorned the lower heaven with lights, and (provided it) with guard. Such is the decree of (Him) the exalted in might, full of knowledge."
    [Al-Qur’an 41:9-12]

On the face of it, it seems that these verses of the Qur’an give the initial impression that the heavens and the earth were created in 8 days.

Allah says in the beginning of this verse that those who exploit this information contained in this passage to raise doubts about its authenticity are equally interested in promulgating blasphemy and denying His unity. Allah is telling us that in course of time, there will emerge unbelievers who will make use of this apparent contradiction.

2. Summa means moreover

If you analyse these verses carefully, it speaks about 2 different creations: the earth and the heaven. The earth excluding the mountains was created in 2 days and the mountains were set on the earth standing firm and blessed and measured its sustenance in 4 days. Therefore the earth along with the mountains was created in 6 days according to verse 9 and 10. Verse 11 and 12 says, moreover the heavens were created in 2 days. The Arabic word used in the beginning of verse 11 of Surah Fussilat is summa which means; ‘then’ or ‘moreover’. There are certain Qur’anic translations, which have, used ‘then’ for the word summa which, indicates ‘afterwards’. If ‘then’ is wrongly used for summa then the total of the creation of heaven and earth will be 8 days which will conflict with other verses of the Qur’an which says heavens and earth were created in 6 days and will also conflict with the Big Bang Theory as well as the verse of the Qur’an Surah Al Ambiya chapter 21 verse 30 which says that heavens and the earth were created simultaneously.

Therefore the correct translation of the word summa in this verse would be ‘moreover’. Abdullah Yusuf Ali has rightly translated the word summa or moreover which clearly gives an indication that while the earth along with the mountains, etc. was created in 6 days simultaneously the heavens were created in 2 days. Therefore the total does not come to 8 days but 6 days.

If a builder says that he will construct a 10 storey building and surrounding compound wall in 6 months and after completion of his project he gives a more detailed account saying that the basement of the building was built in 2 months and the 10 storeys took 4 months and simultaneously, while the basement and the building was being constructed, he also constructed the surrounding of the building along with the compound wall which took 2 months. Therefore both his first and second descriptions are not contradicting but the second statement gives a more detailed account for the construction.

3. Heavens and the Earth created simultaneously

The Qur’an describe the creation of the universe in several places, sometimes it says the heavens and the earth (7:54, 10:3, 11:7, 25:59, 32:4, 50:38, 57:4) while in other places it says earth and the heaven (49:9-12, 2:29, 20:4) thus further supplementing the verse of Surah Al Ambiya chapter 21 verse 30 which speaks about the Big-Bang and that the heavens and the earth were created simultaneously.

Similarly in Surah Al-Baqara chapter 2 verse 29

"It is He Who hath created for you all things that are on earth; Then He turned to the heaven and made them into seven firmaments. And of all things He hath perfect knowledge."
    [Al-Qur’an 2:29]

"It is who has created for you all things on the earth summa simultaneously made the heaven into seven firmaments".

Here also if you wrongly translate summa as ‘then’ only then would this verse contradict the Big-bang theory and other verses of the Qur’an. Therefore the correct translation of the word summa is ‘moreover’ or ‘simultaneously’.
    Abu al-Darda' (radhiAllahu `anhu): "Piety cannot be worn out, a sin is not truly forgotten and the Lord does not fall into slumber. So be the person you wish to be, for the way you treat others is how you shall be treated."

Subhaan`Allah sis, i am finding all the answers to your questions, whilst researching my own!

Earth as a Carpet

Q. Does the Quran say that the Earth is Flat?

Qur’an says that Allah has made the earth for you as a carpet. This gives an indication that the earth is flat. Does this not contradict established modern science?

A. 1. Earth made as a carpet

The question refers to a verse from the Qur’an in Surah Nuh:

“And Allah has made the earth for you as a carpet (spread out).” [Al-Qur’an 71:19]

But the sentence in the above verse is not complete. It continues in the next verse, explaining the previous verse. It says:

“That ye may go about therein, in spacious roads.” [Al-Qur’an 71:20]

A similar message is repeated in Surah TaHa:

“He Who has made for you the earth like a carpet spread out; has enabled you to go about therein by roads (and channels)....” [Al-Qur’an 20:53]

The surface of the earth i.e. earth’s crust is less than 30 miles in thickness and is very thin as compared to the radius of the earth which is about 3750 miles. The deeper layers of the earth are very hot, fluid and hostile to any form of life. The earth’s crust is a solidified shell on which we can live. The Qur’an rightly refers to it like a carpet spread out, so that we can travel along its roads and paths.

2. Carpet can also be spread on other than an absolute flat surface

Not a single verse of the Qur’an says that the earth is flat. The Qur’an only compares the earth’s crust with a carpet. Some people seem to think that carpet can only be put on an absolute flat surface. It is possible to spread a carpet on a large sphere such as the earth. It can easily be demonstrated by taking a huge model of the earth’s globe covering it with a carpet. Carpet is generally put on a surface, which is not very comfortable to walk on. The Quran describes the earth crust as a carpet, without which human beings would not be able to survive because of the hot, fluid and hostile environment beneath it. The Qur’an is thus not only logical, it is mentioning a scientific fact that was discovered by geologists centuries later.

3. Earth has been spread out

Similarly, the Qur’an says in several verses that the earth has been spread out.

“And We have spread out the (spacious) earth: how excellently We do spread out!” [Al-Qur’an 51:48]

Similarly the Qur’an also mentions in several other verses that the earth is an expanse:

“Have We not made the earth as a wide expanse” “And the mountains as pegs?” [Al-Qur’an 78:6-7]

None of these verses of the Qur’an contain even the slightest implication that the earth is flat. It only indicates that the earth is spacious and the reason for this spaciousness of the earth is mentioned. The Glorious Qur’an says:

“O My servants who believe! truly. spacious is My Earth: therefore serve ye Me –(And Me alone)!” [Al-Qur’an 29:56]

Therefore none can give the excuse, that he could not do good and was forced to do evil because of the surroundings and circumstances.

4. Earth is geo-spherical in shape

The Qur’an mentions the actual shape of the earth in the following verse:

“And we have made the earth egg shaped”. [Al-Qur’an 79:30]

The Arabic word Dahaha means egg shaped. It also means an expanse. Dahaha is derived from Duhiya which specifically refers to the egg of an ostrich which is geospherical in shape, exactly like the shape of the earth.

Thus the Qur’an and modern established science are in perfect harmony.

Most of the "contradictions" listed above are quite common arguments made by Christian missionaries and the likes, and there are many articles on the internet that respond to those objections.

As for the embryology issues, there was a really good page refuting them - I believe on the Multaqa Ahl e Hadith forum. I will try to dig it up.

In the meantime, please check the following sites:

http://www.islamtoday.com/show_sub_s...1&sub_cat_id=0
    http://www.islamic-awareness.org
    Last edited by Sharif; 14th December 2008 at 11:48 PM.

Here is another response to one of your questions:

Were the heavens and the earth created in six days or eight?-IslamQA

wa 'alaykumassalam warahmatullahi wabarakatuhu sister,

Rejoice sister, and thank Allah! Your thread won't be deleted in shaa' Allah, and your questions will all be answered, by His permission! I read through your first post and every single one of them has an answer, alhamdulillah. You are right in believing with full conviction that the Qur'an has absolutely no contradictions in it whatsoever.

Allah says:

[Surat al-Nisaa' 4:82] ...And if it had been from [any] other than Allah, they would have found within it much contradiction.

All I ask sister is that you pay good attention to the answers that the brothers and sisters will link you to. And in shaa' Allah I will try to find some, as I've come across the same questions you brought up and I've read thorough answers that leave no room for a single doubt afterwards.

The main thing though is that you fully read the answer to the so-called 'contradictions' and realize that it isn't a contradiction at all, just an attempt by devils to make it seem like a slip-up or a mistake, but they failed miserably alhamdulillah.

And after you realize that it isn't really a mistake in the Qur'an, before you move to the next one, stop and tell yourself that you are fully satisfied that this specific one is no longer a problem for you. Before moving on! Because if you just briefly skim through the answers and explanations, and then you are semi-satisfied, shaytan will whisper into your ears sometime in the future that you still have these doubts. But if you firmly announce to yourself that the doubt is gone, you will shatter his chances of bringing it up again, in shaa' Allah.

Allah knows best.
    DISCLAIMER: Before you read any of my posts or accept any of my arguments, keep in mind that the above has been posted by an ignorant layman who, in most cases, would have been better off keeping silent.
    ÊÄãøá Ãäß ÊÍíÇ ØæíáÇ ð ~~~ æÔãÓß ãÇáÊ æÍÇä ÇáÛÑæÈú

The Prophet (S) said:
    .Çááåãø áÇ ÚíÔó ÅáÇ ÚíÔõ ÇáÂÎÑÉ
    "O Allah, there is no life except the life of the Hereafter!"
    [Bukhari & Muslim]

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast