Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By green musallah
  • 2 Post By murdiyyah

Fasting for Diabetics.

This is a discussion on Fasting for Diabetics. within the Islam in General forums, part of the Main Topics category; Asalauilekum, I have had diabetes for about 18 months but this year I am really feeling it. Are there any ...

Muslim Male
    JMC

Default Fasting for Diabetics.

Asalauilekum,

I have had diabetes for about 18 months but this year I am really feeling it. Are there any other brothers or sisters in the same boat and how are you coping can you give any advice jazakallkhair.

kalimat al-ikhlaas Umm Waraqa Bluebell's Avatar

Default Re: Fasting for Diabetics.

Wa alaykum asalaam

Have you spoken to your doctor about you fasting? Because that can be really hard, especially if you're taking insulin. Anyways I hope the following link helps: Fasting and diabetes - Diabetes UK

If you look on the left in the light blue box, there's general tips and advice. This section is specific to ramadhan...

In fact, we should all follow the same kind of diet regardless of diabetes as it's so healthy.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Umm Waraqa Bluebell For This Useful Post:
    Abu'l 'Eyse (30th July 2012), JMC (28th July 2012)

Wa alaykum assalam

I've done some research because I have a relative who is diabetic. From what I've heard from ulama insulin does not break the fast because it's something your body should be producing, and by taking it you're not gaining nutrition but rather bringing your body to what it should be like anyway.
    However the problem comes when your sugar is low and you need to eat to get it back up again. For this reason ulama have excused diabetics from fasting, and if there was a way to deal with this problem safely while fasting I'm sure they wouldn't have excused diabetics from fasting, especially since Allah has given exception to the sick and travelling. Allahu a'lam.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to al-suyuufi For This Useful Post:
    Abu'l 'Eyse (30th July 2012)

Wa alykum asalam, my younger sister has diabetes type 1, do you have type 1 or 2?

As far as weve been told by ustadhs, and doctors it is actually haram for a diabetic to fast because it can do serious damage to your body. If your blood sugars go to low or high you can pass out or have a fit subhanAllah so please be careful. There are many things you can do whilst fasting for ajar and if its going to harm you then its not obligatory. upon you so leaving it is better inshaAllah.

But if you are talking about type 2 diabetes then i am unsure so ask a student of knowledge, islamqa or something inshaAllah
    hope this helps

may Allah bless you and sustain your health
    ameen
    Ali ibn Abi Talib once said ''Do not take someones silence as his pride, perhaps he is busy fighting with his self''

Muslim Male
    JMC

Jazakallahkhair for your replies, I actually have type 2 diabetes(tablets). So far not that bad but it is pretty hard especially this year. But I will have to be patient inshallah.

Quote Originally Posted by Striving4Sunnah View Post
    Wa alykum asalam, my younger sister has diabetes type 1, do you have type 1 or 2?

As far as weve been told by ustadhs, and doctors it is actually haram for a diabetic to fast because it can do serious damage to your body. If your blood sugars go to low or high you can pass out or have a fit subhanAllah so please be careful. There are many things you can do whilst fasting for ajar and if its going to harm you then its not obligatory. upon you so leaving it is better inshaAllah.

But if you are talking about type 2 diabetes then i am unsure so ask a student of knowledge, islamqa or something inshaAllah
    hope this helps

may Allah bless you and sustain your health
    ameen
    The issue of whether a diabetic individual can fast would depend on a case-by-case basis.

Alhamdolillah (UK) Muslim doctors have done a lot of work on this issue so in the first instance I suggest that any diabetic reads the literature available on-line (diabetes UK as sister Umm Waraqa Bluebell suggested) and consult their doctor prior to Ramadhan.

Not all diabetics are at risk of hypos (therefore at risk of a coma etc as you mentioned). Only those on insulin and certain medication (like gliclazide ...). See this resource. Diabetics who are well controlled, on tablets like metformin only or diet-controlled, should inshallah be able to fast without much added difficulty. In fact I know one brother who finds his blood sugars improve during Ramadhan and he feels much better

The risk of hypo's can be minimised by discussing with your doctor or diabetic nurse and changes may be able to be made to your medication. There are published guidelines on how best to modify medication regimes during Ramadhan.

Having said that those who are elderly or have other medical problems (heart disease, kidney problems etc) may be best advised not to fast. And Allah knows best.
    "Truly! They were young men who believed in their Lord (Allaah), and We increased them in guidance.

And We made their hearts firm and strong when they stood up and said: "Our Lord is the Lord of the heavens and the earth, never shall we call upon any Ilaah (object of worship) other than Him; if we did, we should indeed have uttered an enormity in disbelief...""

Surah al-Kahf verses 13-14; The Qur'aan (trans.)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to green musallah For This Useful Post:
    Umm Waraqa Bluebell (29th July 2012)

Quote Originally Posted by JMC View Post
    Asalauilekum,

I have had diabetes for about 18 months but this year I am really feeling it. Are there any other brothers or sisters in the same boat and how are you coping can you give any advice jazakallkhair.
    'alaykum as-salaam wa rahmatullah,

Don't ever miss suhoor. And always be prepared to break your fast if you get really light headed. It's also better to be in an environment where there are people around in case your sugar level gets suddenly low.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to murdiyyah For This Useful Post:
    JMC (29th July 2012)

Quote Originally Posted by murdiyyah View Post
    'alaykum as-salaam wa rahmatullah,

Don't ever miss suhoor. And always be prepared to break your fast if you get really light headed. It's also better to be in an environment where there are people around in case your sugar level gets suddenly low.
    wa alaykum assalam wa rahmatullah

Good advice if you decide to try to fast, except I'd say don't wait until you feel light-headed to realize you need sugar, if you're feeling light-headed then it usually means your sugar's been low for some time, instead I'd say check your sugar with a meter frequently and as soon as you reach a certain point, it's time to eat and in sha Allah it's excused according to pretty much every scholar I've heard about it from. Like another brother said, failing to keep the sugar within its limits can lead to permanent harm to organs, etc.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to al-suyuufi For This Useful Post:
    murdiyyah (30th July 2012)

Quote Originally Posted by green musallah View Post
    In fact I know one brother who finds his blood sugars improve during Ramadhan and he feels much better
    Very true; hence, right after Ramadhan, it's best to go to the doctor and see if your prescriptions have changed.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to murdiyyah For This Useful Post:
    al-suyuufi (29th August 2012)