Ghazali's Deliverance From Error?

This is a discussion on Ghazali's Deliverance From Error? within the Islam in General forums, part of the Main Topics category; Salam Alaikum, I am thinking about getting Imam Ghazali's Deliverance from Error . I don't really know much about the ...

Default Ghazali's Deliverance From Error?

Salam Alaikum,

I am thinking about getting Imam Ghazali's Deliverance from Error. I don't really know much about the book, though.

Any recommendations?

Anything I should watch out for?

Which translation would be recommended? I usually like ITS's translations, even though they are too extreme in regards to Sufism and have many (significantly) deviant ideas.

And...what is it about exactly? The captions and summaries I have read on various websites are kind of vague.

Also, are their any related works that you could recommend?

Jazakallah Khair.

Rep-manz

there are 2 translations, one by Dr Sherman Jackson: http://www.amazon.com/Boundaries-The.../dp/0195797914

and the other - which I have is by Reverand R J McCarthy http://www.amazon.co.uk/Al-Ghazalis-.../dp/1887752277

I have the later which has additional texts. However I have heard brother Sherman's edition is good also. It may have valuable footnotes, references and explanations perhaps?

The book is interesting and it shoudl be noted that it comes from the 'ash'ari viewpoint.

wa ALLAHU A'lam
    "Sit with one whose limbs address you, not his mouth." Sahl ibn `Abd Allah ibn Yunus, Abu Muhammad al-Tustari (d. 283), may Allah be well-pleased with him.

قال إبن عمر: "ولا يكن في قولك فضل على فعلك" ,أخرج البيهقي: شعب الإيمان وابن حجر العسقلاني: الإصابة في تمييز الصحابة

Ibn 'Umar said: "And do not let your words be in excess to your actions", Al-Baihaqi: Shu'ab al-Imaan and Ibn Hajar al-Asqalani: Al-Isaabah fee Taymeez as-Sahaaba

Justice for those who are oppressed!

Banned

wa alaykum salam wa rahmatullah,

Akhi its about the life of al ghazali rahimahullah and how he left his post due to deep state of depression and took up Sufism. He briefly states that he experienced things that he cannot talk about. He also mentions that sufis are the best people and their way is the best. That is the gist of it.

Salam Alaikum wa Rahmatullah,

I was mistaken about one of the translations being from ITS (I was referring to McCarthy's).

I believe the translation by Sherman Jackson is not of Deliverance, but of a different work by Imam Ghazali.

In any case, the book seems informative and definitely filled with wisdom. Despite the seemingly archaic nature of the topic (dealing with Islamic philosophy), I think that it would have immense practical benefit if the lessons from the book are applied in a more generic sense. That is just my impression from seeing the Table of Contents on Amazon.

Muslim Male
    WM
    Banned

Sherman Jackson is not of Deliverance, but of a different work by Imam Ghazali
    The Faysal, the book on heresy and takfir.

Banned

There is actually a film on al-ghazali that was recently released. Well recently in terms of the past year or two. I have it and it is pretty good. It uses a lot from al ghazali's autobiography. Though it comes to the same conclusion as mentioned about that Ghazali accepted the path of Sufism and stayed with mystics practicing forms of dhikr and recieved visions and experiences and then returned home to his family and later died.

Can anyone offer a word on any of these books:

The Niche of Lights
    (^How is it authenticity-wise?)

Disciplining the Soul and Breaking the Two Desires

Remembrance of Death and the Afterlife

And the one brother Abu Imaan mentioned,
    Faysal al-Tafriqa

TAFKA BM

I have "Disciplining the Soul and Breaking the Two Desires". It is excellent. If you have the opportunity to get it you should.

Thanks for the recommendations. As for Niche of Lights, I am kind of wary, and I think rightfully.

Disciplining the Soul and Breaking the Two Desires seems great for Tazkiyah, and I do plan on getting it.

Remembrance of Death and the Afterlife should also be really good, but it seems sort of expensive so I will probably plan on that in the future.

I am sure that Imam al-Ghazali (and Sherman Jackson) has some good ideas Faysal al-Tafriqa, so I may check that out as well.

Jazakallah Khair.

Rep-manz

Quote Originally Posted by Sharif10 View Post
    Can anyone offer a word on any of these books:

Disciplining the Soul and Breaking the Two Desires

Remembrance of Death and the Afterlife

And the one brother Abu Imaan mentioned,
    Faysal al-Tafriqa
    I have the last two and I want to het the first, would be most beneficial

wa ALLAHU A'lam
    "Sit with one whose limbs address you, not his mouth." Sahl ibn `Abd Allah ibn Yunus, Abu Muhammad al-Tustari (d. 283), may Allah be well-pleased with him.

قال إبن عمر: "ولا يكن في قولك فضل على فعلك" ,أخرج البيهقي: شعب الإيمان وابن حجر العسقلاني: الإصابة في تمييز الصحابة

Ibn 'Umar said: "And do not let your words be in excess to your actions", Al-Baihaqi: Shu'ab al-Imaan and Ibn Hajar al-Asqalani: Al-Isaabah fee Taymeez as-Sahaaba

Justice for those who are oppressed!