headwear

This is a discussion on headwear within the Islam in General forums, part of the Main Topics category; Al-Salamu Alaykum, Please, what is the name of this headwear? Ayman-al-Zawahiri.jpg Qaeda chief urges Tunisians to rise up for sharia ...

Default headwear

Default Re: headwear

wa alaykum as salam

i believe it is called a shemagh

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Farouk For This Useful Post:
    Hatim (3rd July 2012)

Add خالد on Facebook

Wa Aleikum Salaam.

It looks like the Sheikh is wearing a taqiyah/kufi on his head and has a white shemagh/keffiyeh over it.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to خالد For This Useful Post:
    Hatim (3rd July 2012)

Is it common? Or for special occasions? Or in specific countries? I have never seen anybody to wear that....

Quote Originally Posted by Hatim View Post
    Is it common? Or for special occasions? Or in specific countries? I have never seen anybody to wear that....
    Are you trolling? if not, just browse to the nearest Saudi satellite Chanel and you will get your answer.
    لا إله إلا الله محمد رسول الله
    HT is a 60 year old joke, the joke needs to end!

Quote Originally Posted by Ibn Ibrahim View Post
    Are you trolling? if not, just browse to the nearest Saudi satellite Chanel and you will get your answer.
    Nothing wrong with his questions at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Ibn Ibrahim View Post
    Saudi men wear shemagh (i guess) bounded with AGAL (or Rope, whatever). I can´t see any AGAL on the picture. So I was thinking if this kind of headwear is anyhow special/extraordinary.
    So, please, spare your "important" comments brother. I am not interested in verbal attacks but I am interested in knowledge.

As salam alaikum

To be more specific, the elder gentleman is wearing a 'ghutra'- white head dress. Here in the Khaleej, I have personally only seen ulama, imma, and pious elder men wear ghutra without agal. However, it is possible that in a formal setting, such as business, meeting local dignitaries, etc, he might wear the ghutra with agal.

Ghutra with agal and dishdasha is recognized as formal national dress and is worn at work, political events, formal occasions, eid, salatul jumuah, weddings, etc.

Informal dress includes hamdani, or turbans. Young men tend to wear hamdani in informal settings. Rarely do I see elder men wear hamdani. This variation in the photo may be instead of hamdani in informal setting.

[Incidently, in 2011 govt officials required that expats wear their own national dresses while obtaining resident visas. This was abandoned when it was recognized that most countries do not have formal national dresses. However, I have since discovered some informal national dresses:

America's national dress: khaki colored pants, button down oxford shirt that is light blue, usually long sleeved. This is American national dress.

Filipino national dress: thong slippers, knee length shorts, and t shirt, sometimes sleeveless tshirt.

Indian national dress: what is Shah ru Khan wearing today?
    Last edited by Abu Kamel; 3rd July 2012 at 06:01 PM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Abu Kamel For This Useful Post:
    Hatim (3rd July 2012)

Weird how the turban is not formal dress in medina/mekkah. I wonder when the shift happened from turban to shemag

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Abdul Malik For This Useful Post:
    Hatim (3rd July 2012)