Salaatul-Istikhaarah

Assalam alaikum warahmatullahi wabarakaatuhu

I Pray this reaches you in the best of Imaan and health.

Unfortunately we have many misconceptions and misunderstanding of Salahtul Istikharah.

Yesterday i was talking to some1 who was completely confused about it, and it occured to me that people on this forum may not known about the correct way to do istikharah is either.

so Insha'Allah below is an article that shows the correct way of doing it.

Please understand that anything "extra" you may have been told, like for eg, sleeping after doing it or continuously doing dhikr is infact not part of the sunnah. this is clear in the authentic ahadith narrated in bukhari and others.

Even imam Bukhari himself did Istikharah each time he wrote down a hadith, so do u think he slept after each one? or how many times do u think he did it for each hadith?

itsikaharah is only done once. to say you need to do it again is in error. Because to say you want to be sure is like saying "Allah are you sure this is right for me?" and this is the same thing that made Shaytan fall into shirk! The reason he is a disbeliever is not because of arrogance or disobeying Allah, (because although they are sins, they arent unforgivable sins - otherwise whats the difference between us and him??) but the real reason was he committed shirk, how? by associating ERROR to Allah. He basically made it seem like Allah had made a mistake and it was Adam who should have bowed to him! And then of course Shaytan did not repent either, so this made him a full disbeliever.

However, you may do it again if your feeling is not strong. The reason the feeling may not be strong is :

1) Maybe both options are good/not good for you;

2) Maybe your Salah lacked correct intention and ikhlaas;

3) Maybe you did not recite the correct Dua, or recited it incorrectly;

4) Maybe what you are asking for is actually not Halal;

etc.

So please try to stick to the correct Sunnah and stay away from all Bid'ah because The Prophet peace be upon him said, " ...The best of the speech is embodied in the Book of Allah, and the beet of the guidance is the guidance given by Muhammad. And the most evil affairs are their innovations; and every innovation is misguidance...." [Sahih Muslim, Book 004, Number 1885]

And Allah knows best

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Salaatul-Istikhaarah

Written by Dr. Bilal Philips

Islaam, being the natural way, recognizes the innate human need for help in making decisions and has protected the faith of its followers from corruption and given them a sense of contentment and peace in their daily lives by providing guidance in this regard. That guidance consists of clear instructions to the believers to put their trust ultimately in God whenever decisions are to be taken.

When trust is placed in the divine decree, a sense of contentment and happiness is sure to follow. Jaabir [Jaabir as-Salamee was from the Madeenite tribe of Salimah (Fat-h al-Baaree, p.188)]. said, The Prophet (peace be upon him) taught us to make the prayer seeking good in all affairs the way he taught us a chapter from the Qur'aan. He said, If any of you decides on a matter, he should pray two units of voluntary prayer then say:

Allaahumma innee astakheeruka bi 'ilmika, wa astaqdiruka bi qudratika, wa as 'aluka min [O Allaah, I seek Your guidance to what is good for me because of your infinite knowledge, I seek Your help because of your power, and I ask You from Your great favor] Fa innaka taqdiru wa laa aqdiru, wa ta'lamu wa laa a'lamu, wa anta 'allaamul-ghuyoob [for surely You are able and I am not, You know and I do not, and You alone know the unseen] Allaahumma in kunta ta'lamu anna hathal amra khayrun lee fee deenee wa ma'aashee wa 'aaqibati amree (or fee 'aajilee amree wa aajilih) [O Allaah, if you know that this affair {mention the affair by name} is good for my religion, my livelihood and the aftermath of my affairs [or the short term of my affairs or its long term] faqdurhu lee wa yassirhu lee thumma baariklee feeh [then decree it for me, make it easy for me, and bless me in it] wa in kunta ta'lam anna haathal-amra sharrun lee fee deenee wa ma'aashee wa 'aaqibati amree (or fee 'aajilee amree wa aajilih) [but if you know that this affair {mention the affair by name} is bad for my religion, my livelihood and the aftermath of my affairs [or the short term of my affairs or its long term] fasrifhu 'annee wasrifnee 'anhu waqdurlee al-khayra haythu kaana, thumma rad-dinee bih [then turn it away from me and turn me away from it, and decree for me what is better wherever it may be, and make me content with it.]

[Collected by al-Bukharee (Sahih Al Bukhaari. vol. 8, pp.259-60, no. 391), Abu Daawood, an-Nasaa'ee, at-Tirmithee, Ibn Maajah and Ahmed ]

In keeping with the instruction of the Prophet (pbuh), given in the above mentioned hadeeth, when faced with a choice between two or more Halaal (permissible) actions [Ibn Abee Jamrah quoted in Fat-h al-Baaree, p.188 ] a decision should be arrived upon using one's intellect and knowledge of Islaam. Having done this, one should then seek Allaah's guidance as to the choice that has been made by making a two unit prayer (at a permissible time [The five prohibited times are: after the morning prayer (Salaatul-Fajr) until sunrise, while the sun is rising, when the sun reaches the meridian, after the afternoon prayer (Salaatul-'Asr) until the setting of the sun and while the sun is setting]), after which the aforementioned supplication called du'aa al Istikhaarah should be said.

Unfortunately, contrary to the instructions of the Prophet (peace be upon him), Muslims today depend entirely on the prayer to make their decisions for them. That is, they make the prayer and supplication prior to making any decision, and rely on dreams to provide the answers for them. It is even common for people to ask others to make Istikhaarah on their behalf. The prayer is often repeated, prior to sleeping, for a set number of days and dream books are consulted to interpret the symbols in their dreams. All of this has no basis in the methodology taught by the Prophet (peace be upon him). However this is not to say that a good dream may nor be acted upon as confirmation of a decision, about which Istikhaarah was made.