There is nothing wrong with eating from a table or with a spoon or fork

This is a discussion on There is nothing wrong with eating from a table or with a spoon or fork within the Islam in General forums, part of the Main Topics category; I know its a sunnah to eat with your hands , but how many times have my kids had their ...

2C oursels as ithers C us Umm Ahmed's Avatar

Default There is nothing wrong with eating from a table or with a spoon or fork

I know its a sunnah to eat with your hands , but how many times have my kids had their fingers rapped, for eating with a fork or spoon.

There is nothing wrong with eating from a table or with a spoon or fork

Is it true that eating at a table (in a dining room) is imitating the kuffaar? Is using a spoon or fork when eating a kind of arrogance or imitating the kuffaar?.

Praise be to Allaah.

There is nothing wrong with eating at a table and the like, as mentioned, or with eating with a fork or spoon and the like, and that is not imitating the kuffaar, because it is not something that is unique to them.

And Allaah is the source of strength; may Allaah send blessing and peace upon our Prophet Muhammad and his family and companions. End quote.

Fataawa al-Lajnah al-Daa段mah li値-Buhooth al-選lmiyyah wa値-Ifta, 26/309.

http://islamqa.com/en/ref/112005
    Deeds are your money on the day of judgement , make sure you collect plenty now.

Say (O Muhammad SAW):"I am not a new thing among the Messengers (of All禀) (i.e. I am not the first Messenger) nor do I know what will be done with me or with you. I only follow that which is revealed to me, and I am but a plain warner." (Al-Ahqaf 46:9)

Banned

As Salaamu Alaykum,

My family and I have just begun this noble Sunnah and practice of Zuhd with the intention of doing without in the world, in order to have the best in the next life...al Hamdu li Llaah...

Also please note the abundance of textual evidence in the following fatawa, while the above fatawa lacks any textual evidence what so ever. Not that the above fatwa is incorrect, as the below one confirms that there is no sin for the person who eats at a table, however it is clearly best to follow the Sunnah in this matter as with all matters...

Fatawa #21917
    Eating from a table

What should a muslim do who wants to follow the sunnah, but the people you are visiting are not following the sunnah, for example they are eating from a dining table. Do I have the right to sit on the floor or should I follow the housefolk?

Praise be to Allaah.

It was narrated that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) never ate at a table. In Saheeh al-Bukhaari (6450) it was narrated that Anas (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: 典he Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) never ate at a table (khiwaan) until he died and he never ate soft bread until he died.

It says in 羨wn al-Ma鍛ood: 典he khiwaan is a table made of wood with legs on each side; eating from such a table is the habit of those who live a life of luxury, so that they do not have to bend over and tilt their heads when eating.

There is no doubt that it is permissible to eat at a khiwaan or at a high table, and to eat soft bread. But the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) refrained from those things out of humility and as a sign of his giving up the pleasures of this world.

Al-Haafiz Ibn Hajar said: 典he fact that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) refrained from eating at tables and eating soft bread meant that he was giving up the pleasures of this world in return for the pleasures of the abiding world (of the Hereafter).

This does not justify denouncing those who do things like that. If a person visits people and finds them eating at a table, there is nothing wrong with him eating with them at the table. They would find it very strange indeed if he were to go away and sit on the floor on his own; he should not make them do that, rather he should accept their invitation and eat with them. If he explains to them what the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said, and reminds them of asceticism (zuhd), that is very good. And Allaah knows best.

Islam Q&A
    Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid

2C oursels as ithers C us Umm Ahmed's Avatar

All the best with spaghetti, that's one thing I cant use my hands to eat.
    Deeds are your money on the day of judgement , make sure you collect plenty now.

Say (O Muhammad SAW):"I am not a new thing among the Messengers (of All禀) (i.e. I am not the first Messenger) nor do I know what will be done with me or with you. I only follow that which is revealed to me, and I am but a plain warner." (Al-Ahqaf 46:9)

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Umm Ahmed View Post
    As Salaamu Alayki,

Ok, you got me there...spaghetti IS something non-conducive to the Sunnah of eating with the hands, and how do I like very much pasta. I'm afraid it's not available in most places aside from the cities, so if one has fleed with his/her Din to the mountain tops then tables and spaghetti become kind of a non-issue....

Muslim Female

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Umm Ahmed View Post
    bismillahir rahmanir raheem

assalamu'alaykum warahmatullahi wabarakaatuh

oh make spaghetti for me too lool....wish i cld see both of u heh.
    perhaps the other one has almost forgotten me lol
    People are incapable of comprehending Allaah痴 wisdom.He cannot be questioned as to what He does ,while they will be questioned. Glorified and exalted be He. Whatever you understand of His wisdom, believe in it, and whatever you cannot understand, say, 鄭llaah knows best and is most wise, and we know nothing except that which You have taught us, and He is the All-Knowing, Most Wise"(islam-qa.com)