Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Why do Muslim men wear hats/scarves?

This is a discussion on Why do Muslim men wear hats/scarves? within the Islam in General forums, part of the Main Topics category; This may sound like an odd question, but I am being genuine. I know their is such a think as ...

Default Why do Muslim men wear hats/scarves?

This may sound like an odd question, but I am being genuine.

I know their is such a think as a prayer hat but is the one below (and the others in this link) prayer hats or other sorts of hats?

If they are prayer hats, what is their purpose?

I see Muslims wear these sorts of ats all the time, even when shopping, what is their purpose?

Also, what is the purpose of the male headscarves? I believed they were worn in the Middle East to protect from the sun, sand, and also to be worn as a turban but why in Europe? What is their purpose?

Download videos: KEEPVID.

"... the war on Islamic fascism is less about fighting terrorism and more about silencing those who dissent from the West's endless wars against the Middle East..." - Journalist Jonathan Cook

Boycott Israeli Goods / Israel / both

Muslim Female
    Umm

Hat= fashion

Scarves= a nifty disguise.
    "There is accountability in blood and money."
    Shaheed Sheikh Anwar al Awlaqi rahimahullah

2C oursels as ithers C us Umm Ahmed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Umm View Post
    Scarves= a nifty disguise.
    lol someone will read this, and the next thing you know there will be a ban on men wearing scarfs.

Question:
    Is it a sunnah to wear a cap (or turban) especially during salat? I see many 'learned' brothers simply say that this is not sunnah and therefore pray without covering the head. Does Rasulullah Sallalahu Alaihi wassalam wear a turban or cap all the time even outside salat? Is this an Arab tradition or something that Allah recommended Rasul SAW to do as an example to his ummah?

http://www.islam-qa.com/index.php?re...ng&txt=clothes

There are hadiths that say our beloved phrophet (saw) wore a turban.

Abdullah ibn Abbas reports: “The Prophet addressed the people, wearing a black turban.” Jabir ibn Abdullah reports: “The Prophet entered Makkah when it fell to him, wearing a black turban.” (Related by by Abu Dawood.)

Ibn Umar reports: “When the Prophet wore a turban, he used to let its end loose coming down between his shoulders.” Nafi’, Ibn Umar’s disciple, says: ‘Abdullah ibn Umar used to do the same.’ (Related by Al-Tirmidhi.)

Allaahu alaam its not something that has been obligated on the men to do.
    Deeds are your money on the day of judgement , make sure you collect plenty now.

Say (O Muhammad SAW):"I am not a new thing among the Messengers (of Allâh) (i.e. I am not the first Messenger) nor do I know what will be done with me or with you. I only follow that which is revealed to me, and I am but a plain warner." (Al-Ahqaf 46:9)

Peculiarly Ostrobogulous Expergefactionist's Avatar
    Follow Expergefactionist On Twitter Add Expergefactionist on Facebook Add Expergefactionist on Google+

It's all fashion/custom, etc... like this:

no more, no less.
    A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new.

Albert Einstein

Thank you all, that was easy enough!

What about prayer caps then? Is their such a thing? Do you have to wear one when you pray and if you do (regardless of whether you have to) is it different from the one I show above or would that suffice?

"... the war on Islamic fascism is less about fighting terrorism and more about silencing those who dissent from the West's endless wars against the Middle East..." - Journalist Jonathan Cook

I encourage my boys to wear caps because of identity purposes. They are a muslim, people will view them as such and it will remind them they are muslim at times of difficulty. I think the whole scarf hat man thing has become an identity thing rather than anything else.

Default Wearing a Hat (Qalansuwa)

Wearing a Hat (Qalansuwa)

What is the ruling on a topi (hat) in shariah? sunat, mustahab etc? If it is possible can you please provide dalil?

In the name of Allah, Most Compassionate, Most Merciful,

Wearing a hat (Qalansuwa in Arabic and Topi in Urdu) is a Sunnah of our blessed Messenger of Allah (Allah bless him & give him peace), Sahaba (Allah be pleased with them all) and the great scholars and pious predecessors of this Ummah.

There are many evidences which support this, just to mention a few:

1) Sayyiduna Abd Allah ibn Umar (Allah be pleased with him) narrates that “the Messenger of Allah (Allah bless him & give him peace) used to wear a white hat.” (Recorded by Tabrani)

2) Hasan al-Basri (Allah be pleased with him) says: “The people (Sahaba-Allah be pleased with them all) used to perform Sajdah (prostration) upon their turbans and hats.” (Sahih al-Bukhari, 1/151)

3) Rukanah (Allah be pleased with him) says, I heard the Messenger of Allah (Allah bless him & give him peace) say: “The difference between us and the polytheists is, wearing the turban over the hat.” (Sunan Abu Dawud, 4075 & Sunan Tirmidhi, 3919)

4) In the ‘Musannaf’ of Ibn Abi Shaybah, the wearing of a hat is reported from Ali ibn al-Husain, Abd Allah ibn Zubair, Dahhak and Abu Musa (Allah be pleased with them all).

It is clear from the above that wearing a hat is a Sunnah. It has been the practise of the Ummah throughout history, and has become one of the symbols of Islam.

The great Hanafi jurist, Mulla Ali al-Qari (Allah have mercy on him) states that the wearing of the hat has become one of the salient symbols of Islam. (Mirqat al-Masabih, 8/246)

Due to the above, the scholars mention that even though, not wearing a hat can not be classed as unlawful (haram), as it is a Sunnah, but due to the fact that it has become one of the signs of Islam, it is generally undesirable to keep the head exposed. One should try and keep the head covered whenever reasonably possible.

And Allah knows best

Muhammad ibn Adam
    Darul Iftaa
    Leicester , UK

Quote Originally Posted by nomad View Post
    I encourage my boys to wear caps because of identity purposes. They are a muslim, people will view them as such and it will remind them they are muslim at times of difficulty.
    Yeah, well said. It's Muslim identity especially when you're living among the kuffaar.

It is about Muslim identity and covering the head is mustahab for a men according to Shaikh Albaani (May Allah have mercy on him), who wrote:

"All acknowledge that it is desirable for the Muslim to enter prayer in the most perfect Islamic appearance, due to the hadith: "Allah is worthier of your self-adornment" [hasan]. And it is not part of excellent attire in the custom of the Salaf to habitually bare one's head, and walk in that guise on the road and when entering places of worship. Rather, it is a foreign custom which infiltrated many Islamic countries at the time the disbelievers invaded them and brought their habits with them. The Muslims began to imitate them in this, and they lost thereby their Islamic personality as well as through other similar acts... Nor is it established that the Prophet ever prayed bareheaded and without a turban other than in the state of ihram, although there were plenty of occasions to report it if he did. Therefore, whoever claims that he did, let him produce the proof, for truth is more deserving to be followed."

[Reference al-Din al-khalis Volume # 3 Page # 214 and al-Ajwiba al-nafi`a `an al-masa'il al-waqi`a Page #110]

OK, so I see that it is generally an identity/fashion thing. However, do we have a specific prayer cap?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast