Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bill Gates/ Microsoft & Ethics

This is a discussion on Bill Gates/ Microsoft & Ethics within the Help Me Prepare! forums, part of the Learning Zone category; salaam i feel like a loser asking this question..but (im sure its a nice change of look instead of looking ...

Default Bill Gates/ Microsoft & Ethics

salaam

i feel like a loser asking this question..but (im sure its a nice change of look instead of looking at the walimah thread everyday) i have a group project we re workin on for a business ethics class..

so...bill gates...is it ethicial that he makes so much money (its a LAME class)

share all ur random thoughts and ideas about him making so much money and microsoft and ethics...be random, sporadic, thoughtless/ful...just don't hand out takfeers if someone prefers internet explorer..

wasalaam

he's got the market cornered so we will have to put up with his OS since its the most widely supported platform. he's earned his keep by not having any real competition but that doesnt mean we should support his applications when there are better alternatives such as firefox and gmail. unfortunately we are left with a very limited choice when it comes to an OS....

Zionism is to the Palestinian what Nazism was to the Jews

*lifting the gag on legitimate debate*

Quote Originally Posted by gag order View Post
    unfortunately we are left with a very limited choice when it comes to an OS....
    Not true any longer - given the rapid development of the Linux kernel (udev especially comes to mind) - so that now Linux is a real, and free, alternative to the winbloat OS for PC's (and servers of course).

It's also IMO more secure, more robust - and just better. It also doesn't need the high end hardware that e.g Vista (and even XP) requires.

Those who want familiar winbloat eye candy can install the KDE or Gnome desktop, and with Open Office you don't even need the expensive MS office.

Linux flavours include Debian (rock solid distro) at http://www.debian.org/ and Ubuntu (based on Debian and with more eye candy and - some say - more user friendly) at www.ubuntu.com.

Also, there's the Arabeyes project (http://www.arabeyes.org/ ) which supports Arabic in Unix/Linux and lets yopu install an Arabic Gnome desktop for instance.
    Last edited by hussain; 12th October 2007 at 04:52 AM.

إني أحبك في الله ♥♥♥

email him, my lecturer claims to email him quite often, and he is hoping one day Bill will reply.

Why would it be unethical? He is selling his products and there is plenty of demand for his products - maybe they are just jealous?
    حسبنا الله ونعم الوكيل وعلى الله توكلنا

bro hussain, do these alternatives support the wide variety of applications that many have gone to the expense of installing on XP?

that is what i meant when i said that our choices for an OS are limited, the limiting factor bieng compatibility with our existing applications. (well, at least for me)

if cross compatibility across platforms exists then i would seriously consider the free alternatives. at the moment i just dont know enough about linux based OS alternatives that seem to have a confusing array of different names.

bro hussain, do these alternatives support the wide variety of applications that many have gone to the expense of installing on XP?
    Bro,
    Depends on the application, of course! But the answer would be, generally yes - in fact, probably more (free) applications available for Unix/Linux than for Winbloat, especially scientific, text processing and computer program development.

The only exception I know is SMB finance/accounting where in the UK Sage software is dominant, and there is as yet (to my knowledge) no comparative Linux equivalent.

if cross compatibility across platforms exists then i would seriously consider the free alternatives. at the moment i just dont know enough about linux based OS alternatives that seem to have a confusing array of different names.
    It is possible to run many Winbloat programs using emulation under Linux (using Wine for instance) - but I've found that there are usually free Linux alternatives available.

The best Linux distro in my view (based on over ten years of Linux use and admin) is Debian - but it's generally regarded as not as newbie friendly as Ubuntu, although the latest Debian Etch release is fairly easy to install.

The best way is to use an old computer and do an install and play around with it. Debian Etch for instance can be installed on an old Pentium 2 450 MHz with 256 MB of RAM and a hard disk drive of a few GB or so - and this will get the Gnome and even the KDE resource hungry desktop working, although a little slowly (512 MB RAM is best to run such desktops).

can you forward me some links where i can see the various versions of linux in a side by side comparison?

i have an old rig that i can use as a test bed that i can partition with various versions.

can you forward me some links where i can see the various versions of linux in a side by side comparison?
    Two good sites which give an overview of distro's available are

http://lwn.net/Distributions/#lead

and

http://distrowatch.com/

Comparisons are pretty subjective IMO - depends on e.g. what you find useful and are comfortable with, how you find the install, and previous level of computer expertise.

It may be also worth trying some of the live CD's which will at least give you a flavour of a distro without a hard disk install - try some on an existing machine with lots of RAM (1GB is good).

The good thing is that most of the distro's can be downloaded free and burnt to CD's, as can the live CD's.

Rabbighfir lee

I recommend starting with Ubuntu for the complete linux newbie, read FAQs and practise a lot with the linux enviornment, things are a bit different compared to using Windows -- it's like learning to use Windows after being an Apple Mac user for a long time (or vice-versa). The reason Linux is worth learning is because not only is it free and halaal (compared to haraam for using pirated software which is so common when using Windows) the Linux environment is safer, more reliable and constantly improving.

The only reason to keep Windows over linux would be: if you waste time playing computer games OR you have a device that is Windows specific (mp3 player etc) -- but even then you can often get drivers for it on Linux anyway. The brother above mentioned accounting packages, well I would use vmware and run XP through linux -- a far safer environment for an accounting package!
    Learn Arabic to access Islamic knowledge

Do not forget that Allah ta'ala sees and hears everything.
    Nothing you do is secret from Allah.
    Do not let shaytaan lead you to forget this.

لا تظلمن إذا ما كنت مقتدرا — فاظلم يرجع عقباه إلى الندم
    تنام عيناك وألمظلوم منتبه — يدعو عليك وعين الله لم تنم

“Do not oppress when you have the authority. For the consequences of oppression is remorse.
    Your eyes may be asleep while the oppressed person is awake, cursing you. And the eye of Allah does not sleep.”

thanks guys for all the USELESS information about linux, pinex and batman and superman..why dont u guys exchange cooking recipes too...

lol why cant muslim ever stay on topic..ok kiddin bros...do as u like...its entertaining...no biggie

Quote Originally Posted by Hayya_Alal_Jihad View Post
    email him, my lecturer claims to email him quite often, and he is hoping one day Bill will reply.

Why would it be unethical? He is selling his products and there is plenty of demand for his products - maybe they are just jealous?
    hahaha thats funny bro...and invite him for an iftar...well, like i said the class is kinda lame...its more targeting capitalism i suppose...in that is it ethical that such a business man makes or is worth billions of dollars while many in world live in poverty making couple of pennies a day...anyways, back to talking about linux or sonic the hedgehog or whatever its called

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast