Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

How come it seems most practicing Muslims are FAT???

This is a discussion on How come it seems most practicing Muslims are FAT??? within the Living Room forums, part of the Miscellaneous category; Most pious brothers I've come across carry some extra KG's. How come? Is it true that once brothers become more ...

Hanfist Salfist Humblist Firebrand Mullah's Avatar
    Follow Firebrand Mullah On Twitter

Question How come it seems most practicing Muslims are FAT???

Most pious brothers I've come across carry some extra KG's.

How come?

Is it true that once brothers become more religious and praticing they neglect excersizing and lock themselves up in their dorms trying to escape the fitnah of the outside world?

Or is there some other reason? I am sure non-Muslims love their food just as much as we do. So an increase of passion for food wouldn't be a plausible hypothesis.

What are you thoughts on this subject?

BTW: FYI, I have gained a few kg's myself over the years which I desperately tried to loose last summer. I managed to go from 98 kg to 90. But after Ramadan I quickly saw an increase to 92 kg.
    Quote Originally Posted by Abu-Asiya View Post
    I have nothing against salafis. Even some of my friends are salafis.

Default Re: How come it seems most practicing Muslims are FAT???

things are changing ya akhi!
    muslims are keeping fit these days but most try to avoid gym because of music and mixing with ladies. hopefully you will also start soon.
    sahabas were monk during the night and horsemen during the day, they had active lifestyle.

assalaamu alaikum

This is so true (and i include myself in it, though at least i cycle 80 miles a week).

I don't know what the reasons for excess-eating in practising brothers are, but it would be an interesting study. One brother I knew went abroad to study for only a few months. The next time i saw him, you could see a change in his demeanor - he had the talibul-ilm look masha'Allah - but his stomach was way out there.

I also have a related theory. I think that the ease with which some brothers get a mark of prostration on their foreheadhead is directly related to their overweightedness. Taking myself as an example, i know that i don't pray any large number of rak'aat regularly, so how on earth did i get this prostration mark on my head? (Alhumdulillah, i have it anyway).

The only explanation I can think of is the extra pressure placed on my forehead in sujood due to my rather large gut. And if i look around at the brothers i hang out with, i think i can see enough evidence to support my theory.

Muslim Female
    Umm

My husband says that when the local brothers study in Madinah, they always come back huge. But I guess that's Saudi culture: huge portions and no exercise.
    "There is accountability in blood and money."
    Shaheed Sheikh Anwar al Awlaqi rahimahullah

Oh yeah. Its not just the practising brothers, its also lots of speakers and shaikhs too.

Quote Originally Posted by Umm View Post
    My husband says that when the local brothers study in Madinah, they always come back huge. But I guess that's Saudi culture: huge portions and no exercise.

iPetal

Quote Originally Posted by Faqir Mohammad Darwesh View Post
    Most pious brothers I've come across carry some extra KG's.

How come? ...
    There is no correlation between piety and obesity.

I always thought that pious people would fast more often. Mondays and Thursdays or/and the Three White Day s plus Shaban, Ramadan and six days of shawal.

There was quite a controversial thread related to this a while back: Fat Shaikhs

iPetal

Oh boy! There are some gems in that thread

assalaamu alaikum

I found these useful notes from a study of a hadith in Jami al-Uloom wal-Hikam by Sh. Salim Morgan:

On the authority of Al-Miqdaam ibn Maadiy-Karib who said: I heard the Messenger of Allah saying: "No human ever filled a vessel worse than the stomach. Sufficient for any son of Adam are some morsels to keep his back straight. But if it must be, then one third for his food, one third for his drink and one third for his breath."

Ahmad, At-Tirmidhi, An-NasaaI, Ibn Majah Hadith sahih.

1. Ibn Masaweh, a Muslim doctor, said after reading this hadith: "If the people only used these words, they would avoid all diseases and maladies and the clinics and pharmacies would be idle."

2. Another doctor, Al-Harith ibn Kalada said: That which has killed mankind is the introduction of food on top of food before it has been digested.

3. As for spiritual benefits: humbleness of heart, strength of understanding, lessening of lower desires, lessening of personal opinions and anger, while overeating induces the opposites of all of those. Al-Hassan Al-Basri said: "O, son of Adam, eat with one third of your stomach and drink with one third and leave one third of your stomach to breathe so that you may think."

4. Ibn Umar: A man said to Ibn Umar: Shouldnt I bring you some jawarish? Ibn Umar said: What is that? He said: Something which aids in digesting your food after you eat. Ibn Umar said: I have not eaten to being full for four months. That is not because I am not able to do so, but I was with a group of people who were hungry more than they were full.

5. Not reaching your goals: Muhammad ibn Wasi said: Whoever eats little will understand and make others understand and will be clear and humble. Overeating weighs a person down and keeps him from much of what he wants [to accomplish]."

6. Al-Hassan Al-Basri: The test of Adam, peace be upon him, was food and it is your test until Qiyama. And, it used to be said: Whoever takes control of his stomach gets control of all good deeds. And: Wisdom does not reside in a full stomach. One day, Al-Hassan offered some food to his companion who said: I have eaten until I am no longer able to eat. To which Al-Hassan said: Subhaana Allah! Does a Muslim eat until he is no longer able to eat?

7. Allah grants this world to those whom He loves and those He does not love but only grants hunger to those whom he loves.

8. Ash-ShafiI said: I have not filled myself in sixteen years because filling oneself makes the body heavy, removes clear understanding, induces sleep and makes one weak for worship.

9. In Muslim and Bukhari: "The believer eats with one stomach while the kafir eats with seven stomachs." Meaning: The believer eats with the manners of Islam and in moderation, while the karif eats based on desires and gluttony and so he eats with seven stomachs.

10. Also: "Food for one is enough for two and food for two is enough for three and food for three is enough for four."

11. Also: From Aisha: The family of Muhammad (sas) never filled themselves with wheat bread three days in a row from the time he came to Madinah until he passed away."

12. A Muslim should not merely follow his appetites. Allah said: {Then, they were followed by generations who neglected the prayer and followed their appetites. They will encounter a pit of fire except for those who repent} Maryam 59-60.

13. The best generations didnt. "The best generation is my generation, followed by the one after them then the one after them. Then will come a people who bear witness but are not asked to bear witness, who swear oaths but do not fulfill them and fatness will appear among them." (Muslim &Bukhari).

14. From Abi Barza that the Prophet (sas) said: "My greatest fear for you is the appetites of transgression with regard to your stomachs and your privates and the inclinations which lead astray". (Ahmad and others and its narrators are people of sahih)

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast