Refuting "evidences" of Bidaah Hasanah

This is a discussion on Refuting "evidences" of Bidaah Hasanah within the Helpers' Corner forums, part of the Miscellaneous category; A friend of mine quoted this saying of Imam as-Shafie to support bidaah hasanah: قال الإمام الشّافعيُّ رضيَ الله عنهُ ...

Default Refuting "evidences" of Bidaah Hasanah

A friend of mine quoted this saying of Imam as-Shafie to support bidaah hasanah:
    قال الإمام الشّافعيُّ رضيَ الله عنهُ: " الْمُحْدَثاتُ مِنَ الأمورِ ضَربانِ،أحَدُهُما ما أُحدِثَ مِمّا يُخالِفُ كِتاباً أو سُنّةً أو إجماعاً أو أثَراً،فهذهِ البِدعةُ الضّلالةُ، والثانيةُ ما أُحدِثَ مِنَ الخيْر ولا يُخالِفُ كِتاباًأو سُنّةً أو إجماعاً، وهذهِ مُحدَثَةٌ غيْرُ مَذمومَةٍ " رواهُ البيْهقيُّبالإسنادِ الصّحيح في كتابهِ " مَنَاقِبُ الشَّافِعيّ".

"Innovations are of two types: that which contradicts the Quran, the Sunnah, or unanimous agreement of the Muslims is an innovation of deception, while a good innovation does not contradict any of these things."

[from al-Baihaqi Manaqib ash-Shafie]

and this from ibn Hajar al-Asqalani:

الحافظ أحمد بن حجر العسقلاني أمير المؤمنين في الحديث حيث قال في الفتح (ج4/298)عند شرحه لقول عمر بن الخطاب رضي الله عنه: "نعمت البدعة تلك": "والبدعة أصلها ماأحدث على غير مثال سابق وتطلق في الشرع في مقابل السنة فتكون مذمومة، والتحقيق أنهاإن كانت مما تندرج تحت مستحسن في الشرع فهي حسنة وإن كانت مما تندرج تحت مستقبح فيالشرع فهي مستقبحة وإلا فهي من قسم المباح وقد تنقسم إلى الأحكام الخمسة.

"Anything that did not exist during the Prophet's time is called innovation, but some are good while others are not."

Any sources to refute the claims? I've heard that Ibn Rajab and Ibn Hajar al-Asqalani have explain what Imam Shafie meant when he said that, but I don't have the source.

Jazaka Allah Kheir

Last edited by aburasheed; 8th September 2007 at 07:06 PM.
    الْمَالُ وَالْبَنُونَ زِينَةُ الْحَيَاةِ الدُّنْيَا وَالْبَاقِيَاتُ الصَّالِحَاتُ خَيْرٌ عِندَ رَبِّكَ ثَوَاباً وَخَيْرٌ أَمَلاً
    [al-Kahf 46]

Banned

Default innovations mentioned in Muslim.

(1) Jabir b. Abdullah said: When Allah's Messenger (may peace he upon him) delivered the sermon, his eyes became red, his voice rose. and his anger increased so that he was like one giving a warning against the enemy and saying:" The enemy has made a morning attack on you and in the evening too." He would also say:" The last Hour and I have been sent like these two." and he would join his forefinger and middle finger; and would further say:" The best of the speech is embodied in the Book of Allah, and the beet of the guidance is the guidance given by Muhammad. And the most evil affairs are their innovations; and every innovation is error." He would further say:, I am more dear to a Muslim even than his self; and he who left behind property that is for his family. and he who dies under debt or leaves children (in helplessness). the responsibility (of paying his debt and bringing up his children) lies on me." (Book #004, Hadith #1885)

(2) Umm Salama, the wife of Allah's Apostle (may peace be upon him), said I used to hear from people making a mention of the Cistern, but I did not hear about it from Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him). One day while a girl was combing me I heard Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) say:" O people." I said to that girl: Keep away from me. She said: He (the Holy Prophet) has addressed the men only and he has not invited the attention of the women. I said: I am amongst the people also (and have thus every right to listen to the things pertaining to religion). Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) said: I shall be your harbinger on the Cistern; therefore, be cautious lest one of you should come (to me) and may be driven away like a stray camel. I would ask the reasons, and it would be said to me: You don't know what innovations they made after you. And I would then also say: Be away. (Book #030, Hadith #5686)

(3) 'Abdullah reported Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) as saying; I shall be there at the Cistern before you, and I shall have to contend for some people, but I shall have to yield. I would be saying: My Lord, they are my friends, they are my friends, and it would be said: You don't know what innovations they made after you. (Book #030, Hadith #5690)

(4) Anas b. Malik reported Allah's Apostle (may peace be upon him) as saying: Some persons from amongst my associates would turn to my Cistern; when I would see them and they would be presented to me, they would be detained in the way while coming to me. I would say: My Lord, they are my companions, they are my companions, and it would be said to me: You don't know what innovations they made after you. (Book #030, Hadith #5706)

The innovator thinks that he si doign something good and being more pious wheras (i think) that one does not even get the reward if done knowingly and so it leads towards gumrahi.

Banned

Every addition is an inovation and every innovation is leading astary.

Banned

is leading astray or it is (in saying)is in hell.