Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Sufyaan at-Thauri, was asked which was prefered; jihad or reading the Quran....

This is a discussion on Sufyaan at-Thauri, was asked which was prefered; jihad or reading the Quran.... within the Sciences of the Qur'aan forums, part of the Main Topics category; Sufyaan at-Thauri, was asked which was prefered; jihad or reading the Quran. He replied that reading the Quran is preferred ...

Follow Abdullah11 On Twitter Add Abdullah11 on Facebook

Default Sufyaan at-Thauri, was asked which was prefered; jihad or reading the Quran....

Sufyaan at-Thauri, was asked which was prefered; jihad or reading the Quran. He replied that reading the Quran is preferred and as part of his evidence, he quoted the hadith:

"The best of you is he who learns the Quran and teaches it to others."

Bukhari

*The statement of Sufyaan can be found in Fathul Bari.

Abdul Ghani the author of; Haqeeqah al-walaa wa al-Baraa fi mutaqad ahl al-sunnah wa al-jammah, said in support of sufyaan's view:

"There is nothing strange in Sufyaan al-Thauri (May Allah have mercy on him) giving preference to reciting the Quran over jihad. This is because jihad can be attended to by many, many people. The qualities and prerequisites for jihad are found in many among the Muslim nation. However, those who excel in reciting the Quran, being knowledgeable of its laws and being able to teach it to the Muslims are few in number. Therefore, their remaining behind and spending their time in teaching the Muslims the Book of Allah is better in their case than their going out for jihad, especially if the jihad is one which is a communal obligation and there people attending to it. In that case, the learning of the Quran and teaching it to the Muslims is in itself a type of jihad."

The above was extracted from: "How to approach and understand the Quran." By Jamaal al-Din M. Zarabozo

Follow Abdullah11 On Twitter Add Abdullah11 on Facebook

Default Re: Sufyaan at-Thauri, was asked which was prefered; jihad or reading the Quran....

Quote Originally Posted by Abdullah11 View Post
    The qualities and prerequisites for jihad are found in many among the Muslim nation.
    I wish I could agree. May Allah make us from those people of the Quran. Those who follow and recite it as it should be.

May we see the day when the Quran is the source with which the ruler referes back to in all affairs. And When the Book of Allah is held above all other false laws, even if the Mushrikeen and Tawagheet despise it. Ameen Ya Rab.

Default Re: Sufyaan at-Thauri, was asked which was prefered; jihad or reading the Quran....

May we see the day when the Quran is the source with which the ruler referes back to in all affairs. And When the Book of Allah is held above all other false laws, even if the Mushrikeen and Tawagheet despise it. Ameen Ya Rab.
    The realisation of that goal requires Jihad fisabilillah
    And say not concerning that which your tongues put forth falsely: This is lawful and this is forbidden, so as to invent lies against Allaah. Verily, those who invent lies against Allaah will never prosper. [al-Nahl 16:116].

Syed Qutb (ra) when asked to seek pardon from nasser said
    Verily the index finger that testifies to the oneness of Allah in prayer utterly rejects to write even one letter that endorses the rule of the tyrant

WAHHAABI NOT JADEEDI Aboo Shayba's Avatar
    "Toilet - surrounded by land mines" - Abu Hamza Al-Masri
    Add Aboo Shayba on Facebook Add Aboo Shayba on Google+

In the time we live in now - After Tawheed comes Al-Jihaad Fee Sabeel Lillaah in its obligation (according to Ibn Taymiyyah)
    The Martyrs of Islaam are not dead, but they are Alive in the Hearts of Green Birds

For if upon Allah you do rely,
    The intrigues of his slaves can bring no pains.

Syed Qutb (May Allaah accept him)

Banned

not everyone has expressed as above. Here for example.....

By the One in Whose Hand is my life, I love that I should be killed in the way of Allah; then I should be brought back to life and be killed again in His way. - Muhammad (May peace & blessings be upon him) Messenger of Allah.(HR. Al Bukhari)

Quote Originally Posted by Tisatashar View Post
    not everyone has expressed as above. Here for example.....

By the One in Whose Hand is my life, I love that I should be killed in the way of Allah; then I should be brought back to life and be killed again in His way. - Muhammad (May peace & blessings be upon him) Messenger of Allah.(HR. Al Bukhari)
    Allow me to top it all of with:

Verily, Allāh loves those who fight in His Cause in rows (ranks) as if they were a solid structure. (As-Saff 61:4)

In Tafsir Ibn Kathir it is recorded:

: : . :

Muqatil bin Hayyan said, "The faithful believers said, `If we only knew the dearest good actions to Allah, we would perform them.' Thus, Allah told them about the dearest actions to Him,saying, Verily, Allāh loves those who fight in His Cause in rows (ranks) as if they were a solid structure.
    Last edited by Aboo Shayba; 26th October 2010 at 10:11 AM.
    The Martyrs of Islaam are not dead, but they are Alive in the Hearts of Green Birds

Sufyaan at-Thauri, was asked which was prefered; jihad or reading the Quran. He replied that reading the Quran is preferred and as part of his evidence, he quoted the hadith:

"The best of you is he who learns the Quran and teaches it to others."

Bukhari

*The statement of Sufyaan can be found in Fathul Bari.

Abdul Ghani the author of; Haqeeqah al-walaa wa al-Baraa fi mutaqad ahl al-sunnah wa al-jammah, said in support of sufyaan's view:

"There is nothing strange in Sufyaan al-Thauri (May Allah have mercy on him) giving preference to reciting the Quran over jihad. This is because jihad can be attended to by many, many people. The qualities and prerequisites for jihad are found in many among the Muslim nation. However, those who excel in reciting the Quran, being knowledgeable of its laws and being able to teach it to the Muslims are few in number. Therefore, their remaining behind and spending their time in teaching the Muslims the Book of Allah is better in their case than their going out for jihad, especially if the jihad is one which is a communal obligation and there people attending to it. In that case, the learning of the Quran and teaching it to the Muslims is in itself a type of jihad."

The above was extracted from: "How to approach and understand the Quran." By Jamaal al-Din M. Zarabozo
    This is exactly why it is very dangerous to blindly follow the statements of scholars which contradict with the Quran and Sunnah. To be frank the above mentioned comment of Sufyan Ath-Thawri is a load of Baatil and is refuted by many textual evidences. Such as, Allah The Most High Saying:

Not equal are those of the believers who sit (at home), except those who are disabled, and those who strive hard and fight in the cause of Allah with their wealth and their lives. Allah has preferred in grades those who strive hard and fight with their wealth and their lives above those who sit (at home). Unto each, Allah has promised good (Paradise), but Allah has preferred those who strive hard and fight, above those who sit (at home), by a huge reward. Degrees of (higher) grades from Him, and forgiveness and mercy. And Allah is Ever Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful. [Surah An-Nisā 4:95-96]

Abu Hurairah states that the Messenger of Allah was asked, O Messenger of Allah, guide me to a deed equivalent to jihad He said, I dont find any! Then he said, When the mujahid goes on jihad, can you enter your masjid and pray continuously, and fast and never break your fast? The man said, and who could do that! [Sahih Al-Bukhari]

The Messenger of Allah was asked, What is the best of all acts of worship? He said, Believing in Allah He was asked, And then what? He responded, Jihad in the path of Allah Then he was asked And then what? He said, An accepted Hajj [Agreed Upon]

Maiz narrates, the Messenger of Allah was asked, What is the best deed? He said, Believing in Allah, and then jihad, and then Hajj which would be better than every other deed like the distance between the sunset and sunrise [Ahmed]

Abu Dharr narrates, I asked the Messenger of Allah about the best deeds, he said, Believing in Allah and jihad in His path [Agreed Upon]

Abu Qatadah narrates that the Messenger of Allah stood and delivered a reminder to them and said that jihad in the path of Allah and believing in Allah are the greatest deeds. A man then stood up and asked, O Messenger of Allah, what if I was killed in the path of Allah would my all my sins be forgiven? The Messenger of Allah said: Yes [Sahih Muslim]

Abu Hurairah narrates that the Messenger of Allah said the best of deeds in the eyes of Allah are: belief in Allah with conviction, Ghazw with no Ghulool, and an acceptable hajj [Ibn Khuzaymah & Ibn Hibban]

Ayisha narrates that she told the Messenger of Allah, O Messenger of Allah, we see that jihad in the cause of Allah is the greatest deed. Shouldnt we then make jihad? The Messenger of Allah responded, For you the best jihad is hajj mabroor [Sahih Bukhari]

Abdullah bin Salaam said we were a group of the companions of the Messenger of Allah and we said if we just knew what was the most beloved deed to Allah. Allah then revealed:

- - -

"Whatsoever is in the heavens and whatsoever is on the earth glorifies Allah. And He is the Almighty, the All-Wise. O you who believe! Why do you say that which you do not do. Most hateful it is with Allah that you say that which you do not do. Verily, Allah loves those who fight in His cause in rows as if they were a solid structure."

Abu Said al Khudri narrates that the Messenger of Allah was asked, Who is the best of people? He said, A believer who is making jihad with his life and his wealth in the cause of Allah [Agreed Upon]

Muadh bin Jabal narrates: We were with the Messenger of Allah returning from Tabook. He told me, If you want I can tell you the head of the matter, its pillar and its peak, I said yes O Messenger of Allah. He said, The head of the matter is Islam, its pillar is Salah, and its peak is jihad [al Hakim, Ahmad, al Tirmithi, ibn Majah]

It is not fair to respond in the way you responded by referring to the statement of Sufyan Al-Thawry as baatil. We must ask ourselves in what context did he say this.

Quote Originally Posted by abusayfullaah View Post
    It is not fair to respond in the way you responded by referring to the statement of Sufyan Al-Thawry as baatil. We must ask ourselves in what context did he say this.
    Akhi the statment is Baatil regardless of whether he was he was talking about a situation where Jihad was Fard Kiffiyah or Fard Ayn, so regardless of the context the statement is clear Baatil, as it clearly contradicts the Quran and Sunnah.

We will always have ikhtilaf when it comes to these issues. We will always have ikhtilaf when we make taqleed on Salaf instead of referring back to the book of Allah swt.

You will find someone who brings statements and Ijtihad of a group of Salaf and someone else comes with more statements of Salaf that will refute the first group. We seem to have stuck in this loop for over a millenium.

Allah swt says that if we have ikhtilaf we should refer back to the book of Allah swt. Instead we bring another bunch of statements from salaf to refute the other salaf.

So feel free to give me a negative rep, but I know that truth does hurt us sometimes.

May Allah swt guid us all and save us form hellfire.
    Last edited by imuslim; 26th October 2010 at 12:45 PM.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast