Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hadith Authentication: "War Is Deception"

This is a discussion on Hadith Authentication: "War Is Deception" within the Hadith Sciences forums, part of the Islamic Knowledge category; Is this is a reliable Hadith: "The Messenger and his Companions continued in the fear and distress that Allah has ...

Under the Tawhid Banner
    Britainistan - Dunya, the place we mistakenly call home, praying for Akhirah, Jannah

Default Hadith Authentication: "War Is Deception"

Is this is a reliable Hadith:

"The Messenger and his Companions continued in the fear and distress that Allah has described in the Qur'an. Then Nu'aym came to the Prophet. 'I 've become a Muslim, but my tribe does not know of my Islam; so command me whatever you will.' Muhammad said, 'Make them abandon each other if you can so that they will leave us; for war is deception." - Tabari 8:23
    Please can you help me confirm:

*its authenticity
    *strong or weak, Sahih or not
    *where it is referenced, what work
    *whom Tabari is

And, is their a commentry on this?

I have also found it referenced as below:

"Narrated Ka'b ibn Malik: When the Prophet (salla Allahu 'alayhi wa sallam) intended to go on an expedition, he always pretended to be going somewhere else, and he would say: War is deception." - Abu Dawud, 14, 2629
    The above is quoted by Abdul-Aziz ibn Myatt but I have found a similar referenced version, although slightly different on USC:

Narrated Ka'b ibn Malik: When the Prophet (peace_be_upon_him) intended to go on an expedition, he always pretended to be going somewhere else, and he would say: War is deception. - Sunan Abu-Dawud, Book 14, Number 2631, Jihad (Kitab Al-Jihad)
    ibn Myatt references 2629 but according to USC 2629 is:

Narrated Isam al-Muzani: The Apostle of Allah (peace_be_upon_him) sent us in a detachment and said (to us): If you see a mosque or hear a mu'adhdhin (calling to prayer), do not kill anyone. - Sunan Abu-Dawud, Book 14, Number 2629, Jihad (Kitab Al-Jihad)

Additionally, please see:

Narrated Abu Huraira: The Prophet said, "Khosrau will be ruined, and there will be no Khosrau after him, and Caesar will surely be ruined and there will be no Caesar after him, and you will spend their treasures in Allah's Cause." He called, "War is deceit'. - Sahih Bukhari, Volume 4, Book 52, Number 267
    Narrated Abu Huraira: Allah's Apostle called,: "War is deceit". - Sahih Bukhari, Volume 4, Book 52, Number 268
    Narrated Jabir bin 'Abdullah: The Prophet said, "War is deceit." - Sahih Bukhari, Volume 4, Book 52, Number 269

Jihaad Against violence

I hope that people draw a conclusion consistent with the hadith you are examining. Thank you so much for your motivation to uncover the truth, Brother.

War is keeping us from much more important issues: quality of life, honoring and supporting and uplifting each other...together we are unstoppable.
    S/He Who has no one Has God.
    Put YourSELF First And Support Everyone Else To Put THEMselves First.
    Reciprocal Determinism: What A Subject Does Determines How The Objects Reciprocate. deliver curses, receive curses; Deliver Blessings, Receive Blessings.
    Treat Everyone As Though They Are Who They Should Be.
    Whatever Is Good For You Is Good For Me. Whatever is bad for You is bad for Me.
    Everything Gets Better And Better Every Day In Every Way.

Bismillah

1. The phrase " " ("war is deception") is authentic (sahih).

2. It was narrated by Bukhari, Muslim, Abu Dawood, Tirmidhi, (among others).

3. As for the rest of the text that accompanies "war is deception," that is not necessarily sahih, so each of those ahadith would have to be checked separately. But you did quote some which are in Bukhari, so with those you can rest assured wAllahu A'lam.

4. Yes I do believe there is commentary on this particular hadith. I don't know of any articles in english to quote right now.
    But seeing as it's in Bukhari and Muslim, ibn Hajar and al-Nawawi have most likely commented on it. And it's a very important aspect of war so I assume many books about jihad will also speak about it.

Have you listened to 'Mashaari al-Ashwaaq,' the [english] lecture series by Anwar al-'Awlaqi? He does mention this and he tells the story of the assassination of ka'b ibn maalik the jew, in which the Sahabah (RAA) who assassinated him deceived him first, pretending to be friendly and making up a story to be able to bring their weapons into the city without it being suspicious.

He also narrates the story of Nu'aym which you quoted in the beginning of the post [in more detail].

5. Abu Ja'far Muhammad ibn Jarir al-Tabari was a scholar who lived between 224AH and 310AH. Two of his very famous works: Tafseer al-Tabari, and Tareekh al-Tabari. [tareekh = history]

Here's his wikipedia, though as usual with this site, take what is written with a pinch of salt: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muhamma...arir_al-Tabari

6. I think William completely misunderstood what this hadith of the Prophet ( ) means, lol...
    DISCLAIMER: Before you read any of my posts or accept any of my arguments, keep in mind that the above has been posted by a layman who, in most cases, would have been better off keeping silent.
    ~~~

ۖ
    And [all] faces will be humbled before the Ever-Living, the Sustainer of existence.
    And he who carries injustice will have failed.
    [20:111]

Quote Originally Posted by jund-al-islam View Post
    Have you listened to 'Mashaari al-Ashwaaq,' the [english] lecture series by Anwar al-'Awlaqi? He does mention this and he tells the story of the assassination of ka'b ibn maalik the jew, in which the Sahabah (RAA) who assassinated him deceived him first, pretending to be friendly and making up a story to be able to bring their weapons into the city without it being suspicious.

i am glad you mentioned this

i think the original phrase came from Ali(ra) during mubaaraza with that big mushreek who was looking down on him. after Ali chopped him he cried out. you deceived me then Ali told him war is deception.

hope i am not wrong

Under the Tawhid Banner
    Britainistan - Dunya, the place we mistakenly call home, praying for Akhirah, Jannah

Quote Originally Posted by jund-al-islam View Post
    Thank you ever so much. Please can you point me towards this lecture?

Senior Member Abdullah ibn Adam's Avatar

I hope that people draw a conclusion consistent with the hadith you are examining. Thank you so much for your motivation to uncover the truth, Brother.

War is keeping us from much more important issues: quality of life, honoring and supporting and uplifting each other...together we are unstoppable.
    Oh dear.

William, the meaning of the hadith "war is deception" is that in a war situation, deception is an important part of strategy which very often helps you to defeat your enemy.

Jihaad Against violence

Quote Originally Posted by Abdullah ibn Adam View Post

Oh dear.

William, the meaning of the hadith "war is deception" is that in a war situation, deception is an important part of strategy which very often helps you to defeat your enemy.
    lol. Well, Brother Abdullah (I love your name, especially 'ibn Adam', for we are all children of Adam), I believe that we are all deceived by the energy, the hubris of war. It is widely known, at least here, that 'war is hell'. May God divert our energies from this war, this hell, to making this earth a worthy place to live and be resurrected.
    Reciprocal Determinism: What A Subject Does Determines How The Objects Reciprocate. deliver curses, receive curses; Deliver Blessings, Receive Blessings.

Jihaad Against violence

It was taught to me when I was a child that "God cannot deceive nor be deceived." I still hold that.

lol. Well, Brother Abdullah (I love your name, especially 'ibn Adam', for we are all children of Adam), I believe that we are all deceived by the energy, the hubris of war. It is widely known, at least here, that 'war is hell'. May God divert our energies from this war, this hell, to making this earth a worthy place to live and be resurrected.
    We'd all like to live in a world where everyone is constantly smiling and everything is honkey dorey. But thats not the case when some are forced to defend themselves from the aggression of others. This world will never be at peace as long as the forces of kufr are in control. Your civilisation permits the strong to oppress the weak. I'm not trying to be dramatic, I dislike you less than most because of your pacifistic nature. But you're living in a world that little boys read about in story books.
    Rebelling against the nafs

Jihaad Against violence

Quote Originally Posted by islamic@rebel View Post
    We'd all like to live in a world where everyone is constantly smiling and everything is honkey dorey. But thats not the case when some are forced to defend themselves from the aggression of others. This world will never be at peace as long as the forces of kufr are in control. Your civilisation permits the strong to oppress the weak. I'm not trying to be dramatic, I dislike you less than most because of your pacifistic nature. But you're living in a world that little boys read about in story books.
    I feel good about the energy that I spend on maintaining my naivete...and sometimes it takes a lot of energy. ...I do aim for a hunky dory world but I believe that I will always be struggling, jihading if you will, to become better and to contribute to the world. I don't think that we will ever be perfect but if we don't aim for the perfect, how will we get better at all?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast