Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree47Likes

Nobody is writing to this brother

This is a discussion on Nobody is writing to this brother within the Prisoners forums, part of the Main Topics category; Some letters (sent by brothers to brothers): http://forums.islamicawakening.com/f...tml#post561444 The only don't I can think of is ''don't say anything that ...

Default Re: Nobody is writing to this brother

Some letters (sent by brothers to brothers): Stuck about what to fill in your cards or letters to Prisoners? Here are some creative ideas.

The only don't I can think of is ''don't say anything that could cause yourself or the brother/sister any problems''.

Also, from the same thread:

Originally Posted by Umar247 Heres a guide I wrote a while ago, about what to say etc. Some basic rules I follow is :-

1. Dont talk about their case
    2. Ask how they're doing
    3. Give a little paragraph about you ( this is for brothers writing to brothers or sisters to sisters btw....)
    4. Dont talk about politics
    5. Dont write anything that would get you or them in trouble.
    6. End with a hadith

Numbers 1 and 4 will come into letters eventually, but inshallah it will be on their terms and what they're comfortable with.

I always remember as well they're just normal people who have got caught in a bad situation, and maybe praising them in letters makes them embarassed, so just write like you would to anyone else really.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Umm Yassin For This Useful Post:
    isimsiz (24th November 2011), Umm Khawla (24th November 2011)

DON'T:
    - nothing that will harm yourself or the brother (so nothing that is illegal etc)

DO:
    - be positive , give him hope, say you and the ummah pray for him, remind him that everything is in Allahs Hands everyting can change, ...
    - make the letter a bit personal (so tell a bit about yourself, where you live, how old you are, ... ), make a joke , ...
    - send him heart softeners and islamic reminders ...
    - send him an article you find interesting ... could be be about anything...
    - send him together with your letter a drawning from a child , with his name on it ...

Just write what you want to write. Imagine you are alone, in a cell, nobody to talk to, nobody writing you ... what would you like to read when you finally receive a letter?

Also, don't let shaytan trick you ... if you can't write a lot, write a little bit, if you can't write a little bit, just write a du'a ...
    Anything is better than nothing. We shouldn't look down on any good we can do!
    ^ This is from bro to bro OR sis to sis...

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Umm Yassin For This Useful Post:
    isimsiz (24th November 2011), Umm Khawla (24th November 2011), UmmTaymiyyah (26th November 2011)

Quote Originally Posted by Umm Yassin View Post
    Ok, alhamdulillah, that's good to know. In the meantime I also received two letters, alhamdulillah. May Allah reward the writers and accept this from them.

Do you work with Aseerun on the lists ...?
    Why not have one database for aseerun, freedetainees, cp, sanabil, ... and everyone of these orgs get access to the lists and can edit the lists... that way, the list will always be updated...
    inshallah im still working on this at the moment, i've got the database structure kind of set up inshallah. I should have this ready in a week or two for people to test, its been a really hectic time. The most frustrating thing I found with the lists in the past was that people would take the lists, put them on their blog, etc, and then never update them (thats why they'res a date on my page so at least you can see the info is out of date). Theres also some issues around maybe us having a brothers details but the brother doesnt want them public (i.e. they were given only for those in direct contact rather than off the net).

The other frustrating thing is solicitors, lawyers and professional organisations are pretty much zero help for things like this. The only way we can find out where people are is by staying in contact and writing, and sometimes if theres only a few of you writing and a brother moves, then you've lost contact all over again.....
    "One who defends the honour of his brother, Allah keeps the fire of hell away from his face on the Day of Judgment.
    (Tirmidhi)

http://www.helptheprisoners.org

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Umar247 For This Useful Post:
    isimsiz (25th November 2011), Umm Yassin (25th November 2011), UmmTaymiyyah (26th November 2011)

BTW Cageprisoners wont be interested, as they say they will only help "war on terror" detainees. They also receive a salary for the work they do so seems kind of pointless us lot doing something for them that they should be doing themselves as their job is helping prisoners full-time and they havent been keen to share resources much in the past.
    "One who defends the honour of his brother, Allah keeps the fire of hell away from his face on the Day of Judgment.
    (Tirmidhi)

http://www.helptheprisoners.org

Quote Originally Posted by Umar247 View Post
    BTW Cageprisoners wont be interested, as they say they will only help "war on terror" detainees. They also receive a salary for the work they do so seems kind of pointless us lot doing something for them that they should be doing themselves as their job is helping prisoners full-time and they havent been keen to share resources much in the past.
    huh what do you/they mean by 'war on terror' detainees. I think I know what you mean but could you clarify please ?

Also, maybe you should speak directly to moazzem begg Inshallah ?

Follow isimsiz On Twitter Add isimsiz on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Umar247 View Post
    To be far to them, if you contact them they will often you out as far as they are able. Being an actual registered orginisation has its plus and minuses. You will be limmited be scope of what you are allowed /suposed to do be what you are chartered for, while being 'official' allows you certain protections and opruntunities that wouldn't be possible otherwise (say for a loosely orginised group like aseerun). I've worked in both types of groups and they both have their limitations but you'll find the poeple are usually very much of the same frame of mind and willingness to help.

Also you may want to keep in mind CP has EXPANDED their scope initially they only dealth with GITMO and teh WAR part of war on terrorism, but they have expanded to cover over the years 'domestic case' and cases only vaguely if at al attached to the initial proposed work. Also even if they can not help you OFFICIALLY they will still try their best to do what they can. Personally an dI can only speak from my past experience I have't head any problems with CP but also as someone who has worked in / for NGOs and NPO I may be more understadning to the limitations.

In any even Umar247's data base is a good idea, the only concern I have is with acess being too open, as he mentioned the propblem in the past has been with ppl. taking the / a list and not updating checking it ect. My concern is that ppl. will eddit information based on what they KNOW to be true but may not be accurate or may not be true for all people.

Like if the last letter I got from a brother said he was in place X but someone else got a more recent reply showing he was in place Y I might go back in and enter the wrong address b/c as far as I know that is correct. also sometimes there is an address that is the general mailing for general corispondence that is diffrent from the ACTUAL location of an inmate (thi si usualy with ppl. testifying or being interviewed / interogated about open or onging cases) someone may know the actual location and hecne say the mailing address is wrong.

Although I am really eager to see how this works. May Allah reward all the ppl. involved, Ameen!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to isimsiz For This Useful Post:
    Umm Yassin (26th November 2011)

Formerly 'Tawbah'

When is the deadline? Sorry I've been procastinating way too much, May Allah (S.W.T.) forgive me..

Follow isimsiz On Twitter Add isimsiz on Facebook

Ameen, and may He increase you in good and that which pleaeses Him, Ameen!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to isimsiz For This Useful Post:
    Umm Yassin (26th November 2011)

Quote Originally Posted by Tawbah View Post
    When is the deadline? Sorry I've been procastinating way too much, May Allah (S.W.T.) forgive me..
    Let's say 1 Nov.

Rep-manz

Oh Allah! Comfort these brothers and sisters who are in jail and who seek your guidance with dreams of the Rasul(sallahu 'alayhi was-salaam)! Ameen!
    "Sit with one whose limbs address you, not his mouth." Sahl ibn `Abd Allah ibn Yunus, Abu Muhammad al-Tustari (d. 283), may Allah be well-pleased with him.

: " " , : :

Ibn 'Umar said: "And do not let your words be in excess to your actions", Al-Baihaqi: Shu'ab al-Imaan and Ibn Hajar al-Asqalani: Al-Isaabah fee Taymeez as-Sahaaba

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Abu'l 'Eyse For This Useful Post:
    isimsiz (27th November 2011), Umm Yassin (26th November 2011)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast