Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Usama Ibn Zayd al Laythi Mawlahum

This is a discussion on Usama Ibn Zayd al Laythi Mawlahum within the Advanced Hadith Studies forums, part of the Hadith Sciences category; Assalam O Alaikum! Can someone bring me the biography of the narrator Usama Ibn Zayd al Laythi?! And how his ...

Default Usama Ibn Zayd al Laythi Mawlahum

Assalam O Alaikum!

Can someone bring me the biography of the narrator Usama Ibn Zayd al Laythi?! And how his hadiths are looked upon?

Peculiarly Ostrobogulous Expergefactionist's Avatar
    Follow Expergefactionist On Twitter Add Expergefactionist on Facebook Add Expergefactionist on Google+

I am sure you would find tahdhib al-tahdhib or taqreeb online to do that yourself?
    A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new.

Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Adeel View Post
    Assalam O Alaikum!

Can someone bring me the biography of the narrator Usama Ibn Zayd al Laythi?! And how his hadiths are looked upon?

Assalam O Alaikum brothers!
    Actually I want to know what is the credibility of narrator or his hadiths who has been termed as "Saduq Yahim" by Ibn Hajr?! This is how this narrator has been critisized:

In his biography in Tahdheeb al-Tahdheeb (1/209) it says: He was regarded as matrook by Yahya ibn Saeed. Ahmad said: he is nothing. Abu Haatim said: His hadeeth may be written down but should not be used as evidence. Al-Nasaai said: He is not strong. Ibn Hibbaan said: He makes mistakes although he is of sound character. End quote. No one narrated that he was trustworthy except Yahya ibn Maeen, but in another report from him he said that his ahaadeeth were regarded as munkar.

I would be thankful if you provide the details in english!

Jazak Allah

Assalam O Alaikum brothers!
    Actually I want to know what is the credibility of narrator or his hadiths who has been termed as "Saduq Yahim" by Ibn Hajr?! This is how this narrator has been critisized:

In his biography in Tahdheeb al-Tahdheeb (1/209) it says: He was regarded as matrook by Yahya ibn Saeed. Ahmad said: he is nothing. Abu Haatim said: His hadeeth may be written down but should not be used as evidence. Al-Nasaai said: He is not strong. Ibn Hibbaan said: He makes mistakes although he is of sound character. End quote. No one narrated that he was trustworthy except Yahya ibn Maeen, but in another report from him he said that his ahaadeeth were regarded as munkar.

I would be thankful if you provide the details in english!

Jazak Allah
    wa `alaykum as-salm wa rahmatullh,

With all due respect, brother, if you require that things be explained in English then that is indicative of you approaching a subject that, perhaps, you are not prepared for.

One needs to understand that Ibn Hajar's Taqrb is meant as a concise abridgment of his Tahthb which itself is an abridgment of al-Mizz's Tahthb al-Kaml f Asm' ar-Rijl. So each of these works has their own purpose.

When you get into the more verbose works such as al-Mizz's Tahthb, then you find harsh criticisms and some lofty vindication for the same narrator. Sometimes you will find some serious blasting against narrators even cited by al-Bukhr in his Sahh. Often times, deviant groups utilize these harsh criticisms to invalidate an authentic Hadth.

Yet, it must be understood that there were masters of Jarh wa Ta`dl who were known for being harsh and there were those for being balanced and there are those who were known as being lenient. This must be known about the people you are quoting to criticize or validate a narrator.

Now, in this case here, for some reason you have cited only the criticisms against Usmah bin Zayd al-Layth, yet ignored his vindications from such famous masters of Rijl as Imm al-Bukhr. What this tells me is that you really want to invalidate this narrator to prove a particular point. This is a severe defect in your methodology.

Also, I did not find your quote to be from Tahthb at-Tahthb, but you actually copied it from the internet. This is what Tahthb at-Tahthb says:

`Abdullh bin Ahmad related from his father, I fear that he is not strong in Hadth. Slih bin Ahmad bin Hanbal related from his father, Munkar al-Hadth. Weak. Yahy bin Ma`n stated, Usmah and `Abdullah and `Abdur-Rahmn, the sons of Zayd bin Aslam are brothers whose Hadth count for nothing. He also said, He is a weak man. `Uthmn ad-Drim said, There is no fault in him. Jawzjn stated, They are weak narrators (Turyalais note: Tahthb doesnt mention al-Jawzjns full quote from Ahwl ar-Rijl, but its talking about him and his brothers) but not to the point that it spoils their religion. Ab Htim stated, His Hadth were recorded but not resorted to. Ibn Ab Htim said, I asked Abu Zur`ah about Usmah bin Zayd bin Aslam and `Abdullh bin Zayd bin Aslam, Which was preferred by you? He replied, Usmah is better. An-Nasa said, He is not strong. Muhammad bin Sa`d said, He died in the era of Ab Ja`far. Ibn Sa`d said, He narrated many Hadth, but they were not used for evidence. Ibn Hibbn said, He was very weak (whyan) and erred in narrations, so he made the Mawqf (narration stopping at a Companion) into Marf` (narration going up to the Prophet sallallh `alayh wa sallam) and made Mutasil (having normal isnd) the Maqt` (having severed isnd). Ibn `Ad said, I did not find from him any Munkar Hadth, not by chain of transmission (isnd), nor by content (matn), so I like to believe that he is upstanding (Slih). Ab Zayd al-Quls said, I heard `Al bin al-Madn say, None of the sons of Zayd bin Aslam were trustworthy (thiqqah). Al-Bukhr said, `Al weakened `Abdur-Rahmn bin Zayd, but regarding his brothers Usmah and `Abdullh he said laudable things about the two of them. Ya`qb al-Fasaw mentioned him in the chapter of those who were sought for narrations and I used to hear that our companions would weaken them. Ibn al-Jrd said he was from those who would relate his Hadth, Al-Akhir related from Ab Dwd who said, He is weak with few Hadth.

So, brother, even this is not enough for a layperson to grade a narrator, nor is it even close to enough for a layperson to grade a Hadth with that narrator.

w-Allh A`lam...

I would like to know which Hadth with Usmah bin Zayd bin Aslam al-Layth concerns you. was-salm.

Assalam O Alaikum
    jazak Allah brother for this information! Brother actually I was confused because I have found some weakening the hadith of Usaamah Ibn Zayd and some saying that his hadiths are good!(this is what really confuses me, by Allah and nothing else) Yes brother I got this detail of the narrator from Islam-qa.com and it only says this regarding this narrator. And I know that Ibn Hajr says about him "saduq yahim", and I wanted to know what Hafidh means when he says this regarding a narrator. By Allah, I just wanted to know this from more knowledgable brothers.

Assalam O Alaikum
    jazak Allah brother for this information! Brother actually I was confused because I have found some weakening the hadith of Usaamah Ibn Zayd and some saying that his hadiths are good!(this is what really confuses me, by Allah and nothing else) Yes brother I got this detail of the narrator from Islam-qa.com and it only says this regarding this narrator. And I know that Ibn Hajr says about him "saduq yahim", and I wanted to know what Hafidh means when he says this regarding a narrator. By Allah, I just wanted to know this from more knowledgable brothers.
    Akh, I believe you were sincere in your questions. I am sorry if I indicated otherwise. It was not my intent. I was just concerned that perhaps there is a Hadth in particular with this narrator that is concerning you. That's all.

So if there is such a Hadth you can present it and maybe someone here can help, insh' Allh.

Again, I am sorry if I sounded like I was accusing you of not being sincere, w-astaghfir Allh wa atb ilayh.

Assalam O Alaikum brother!

Example:
    Over the verse, " the Day when the Saaq (Shin) will be exposed."

At-Tabaree also relates from Muhamamd ibn Ubayd al-Muharabee who relates from ibn al-Mubaarak from Usama ibn Zayd, meaning al-Lythee, from Ikrimah, from ibn Abbaas, that the Shin in the above verse means, quote, "A Day of war and direness" all these narrators are those of the saheeh - except Usama ibn Zaid whose hadeeth are hasan."

This claim includes a number of misconceptions, unfounded allegations and distortions.

Firstly: the narrations that at-Tabaree reports from ibn Abbaas via a number of routes, regarding these Shaykh Saleem al-Hilaali says, "Summarising what has been reported from ibn Abbaas on this issue: with this you will know, O beloved (reader) - may you learn the good - that the chains of narration that are reported from ibn Abbaas to do with his explanation of His saying, "the Day when the Shin will be exposed" cannot be used to establish a proof, because they are all da'eef.

The above is what Shaikh Salim says regarding his narration. While others say it is hasan. That's why I wanted to know the credibility of this narrator and what hafidh means regarding a narrator who is "saduq yahim" to him! Jazak Allah.

Assalam O Alaikum brother!

Example:
    Over the verse, " the Day when the Saaq (Shin) will be exposed."

At-Tabaree also relates from Muhamamd ibn Ubayd al-Muharabee who relates from ibn al-Mubaarak from Usama ibn Zayd, meaning al-Lythee, from Ikrimah, from ibn Abbaas, that the Shin in the above verse means, quote, "A Day of war and direness" all these narrators are those of the saheeh - except Usama ibn Zaid whose hadeeth are hasan."

This claim includes a number of misconceptions, unfounded allegations and distortions.

Firstly: the narrations that at-Tabaree reports from ibn Abbaas via a number of routes, regarding these Shaykh Saleem al-Hilaali says, "Summarising what has been reported from ibn Abbaas on this issue: with this you will know, O beloved (reader) - may you learn the good - that the chains of narration that are reported from ibn Abbaas to do with his explanation of His saying, "the Day when the Shin will be exposed" cannot be used to establish a proof, because they are all da'eef.

The above is what Shaikh Salim says regarding his narration. While others say it is hasan. That's why I wanted to know the credibility of this narrator and what hafidh means regarding a narrator who is "saduq yahim" to him! Jazak Allah.
    I don't know on what grounds he says they are Da`f because I don't think citing criticism of Usmah bin Zayd al-Layth is enough to dismiss a Hadth, w-Allh A`lam.

Thanks for relating the Hadth. I'll look into the narrations from Ibn `Abbs and see if I can understand the matter better.

Jazk Allh khayr.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast