Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

'Umdat al-Fiqh with Abuz Zubair

This is a discussion on 'Umdat al-Fiqh with Abuz Zubair within the Hanbali School forums, part of the Islamic Law category; As-Salaamu 'Alaikum and welcome to our Online Fiqh lessons. As you all probably know that the book to be studied ...

Peculiarly Ostrobogulous Expergefactionist's Avatar
    Follow Expergefactionist On Twitter Add Expergefactionist on Facebook Add Expergefactionist on Google+

Default 'Umdat al-Fiqh with Abuz Zubair

As-Salaamu 'Alaikum and welcome to our Online Fiqh lessons.

As you all probably know that the book to be studied in this course is the famous Fiqh manual of the Hanbali Fiqh called 'Umdat al-Fiqh. In order for your participation to be thorough, you are all advised to obtain a copy of this manual, which is widely available in Islamic-Arabic bookshops. This manual is most commonly available with its best explanation to-date, called al-'Uddah Sharh al-'Umdah by Baha' al-Din al-Maqdisi. One of the best prints you can buy is 'Dar al-Kitab al-'Arabi' print (available in Dar al-Dawah bookshop in Bayswater), or Mu'assasat al-Risalah print (not available in the UK to my knowledge). There are other not-so-good prints around, which will do the job if you cannot travel to Bayswater. Alternatively, you can access the book online, copy and paste it into your own word document and make your own notes therein. You may find this manual online at the following link:
    http://www.islamweb.net/php/php_arab...=505&CatId=214

The purpose of these lessons is to understand the text of this manual from the beginning till the end, in order to obtain a comprehensive understanding and basic knowledge of Shari'ah. These are not comparative-Fiqh lessons, nor Fatwa sessions, simply because none of us here are qualified delve into comparative Fiqh, nor qualified to issue verdicts on Allah's behalf. These lessons are only our humble effort to learn the Hanbali Fiqh.

The way we will conduct these lessons, is that I will paste a passage from the manual in Arabic, translate it into English, and then give a very simple explanation to the text, such that it becomes easier for a student to understand and absorb the intended meaning. No doubt, it would be an advantage to have someone who possesses good understanding of Arabic and English to improve my translation during the course of these lessons.

May Allah purify our intentions, reward us for our efforts, and make what we learn a proof for us and not against us, Ameen.

Abuz-Zubair

Follow Expergefactionist On Twitter Add Expergefactionist on Facebook Add Expergefactionist on Google+

Default 'Umdat al-Fiqh [What Do We Know About Imam Ahmad?]

As-Salaamu 'Alaikum,

Since we are studying the Hanbali Madhab, it is appropriate that we start by learning, and sharing what we already know about the 'founder' of this Madhab, Imam Ahmad ibn Hanbal, his early life, his education, his teachers, his students, his trial, and his death; along with other historical facts about the growth, development, spread of the Madhab.

However, instead of me writing something up, and in order to make our lessons more interactive, I suggest that we ask YOU to write what you know about this man… Ahmad ibn Hanbal. It could be anything you know, or heard, so long as it is in your own words and not a cut-and-paste job!

So what do you know about Ahmad ibn Hanbal?

wasalam

As Salaamualaiakum

Imaam Ahmad was based in Iraaq. He was a contemporary of Imaam ash Shafiie, though Junior to him , studied under him ???so he lived in the period of the Abbasid Khilafah.

Imaam Ahmad (RH) compiled a HUGE collection of hadeeth, I think something like 30,000 hadeeth in his compilation which is called 'al Musnad'. Also, Imaam Bukhaari took hadeeth directly from Imaam Ahmad I beleive when Bukhaari travelled to Iraaq.

Imaam Ahmad was imprisoned and severely beaten and tortured during an Inquisition for not polluting his Aqueeda by accepting the Philosophical/Mutazili Position on the creation of the Qur'an. Imaam Ahmad stood firm against all this torture and never changed his belief, May Allah have Mercy upon Him.

Thats all. I would like to hear more historical stuff on him please!!

Was Salaam
    The life of this world is only the enjoyment of deception.

Al Qur'aan 3 : 185

Default more details please

Asalamu alaikum wa rahmatullahi

Jazakum allahu kheir for providing such a service, may Allah purify our intentions, accept our good deeds and forgive us for our bad deeds. Ameen

I have a few questions, we knoe how this course is going to run but when ? is there a time tiable when you will post the lessons i.e every xxx day? how long is this course? How is this going to work, do we read and understand and contribute with our comments if we have any or what?

Jazakum allahu kheir and may He make your tasks easy for you. Ameen

:?: :?:

He was a Haafidh who had memorised more than a 100 thousand hadeeth, and he by the permission of Allah saved this Deen from being deviated and having ingrain the false belief in the Muslims minds that the Qur'aan is created.

By Allah the Qur'aan is not created, indeed it is the speech of Allah.
    Abiumar al-Atharee as-Salafee

Know the truth, and you will know its people - ash-Shaykh al-Mujahid, Abu 'Abdillah, Usama bin Ladin (hafidhahullahu ta'ala)

JazaakumAllahu Khairan Abu Ilyas and Abu Umar,

As Abu Ilyas said, he was not only a contemporary to Imam al-Shafi'i, he was in fact one of his beloved students. It is commonly known amongst Shafi'is that when Imam al-Shafi'i said: حدثني ثقة (a reliable sourse narrated to me), intending by that Imam Ahmad. He would say to Imam Ahmad: Tell us of a Hadeeth which is authentic and we would act on it.

Imam Ahmad would likewise have much respect for him. On one occasion, Imam Ahmad was sitting with either Ishaq ibn Rahwaih or 'Ali ibn al-Madini, and he saw Imam al-Shafi'i pass by them riding a donkey. So Imam Ahmad began to follow al-Shafi'i behind his donkey asking him about Fiqh issues. He then came back to his companion (either Ishaq or Ali), and the companion said: Why were you following asl-Shafi'i like that in a degrading manner? Imam Ahmad replied: This is how knowledge is sought!

It is interesting that brother Abu Ilyas brought up the relationship between Shafi'i and Ahmad, because the Madhabs of these two are strikingly similarly to each other.

As mentioned, Imam Ahmad is also the compiler of biggest Musnad, which he collected after travelling the entire Muslim world. This book is a testimony to Imam Ahmad's memory. Imam Ahmad would often play with his son Salih, by the latter throwing a chain of narration, or a text of a Hadeeth at Imam Ahmad, which he would then complete - all from his memory.

Apart from the great Hafidh, he was also an Imam of Jarh and Ta'deel (the science of critism and strengthening of Hadeeth narrators). He is regarded to be from the balanced Imams who would neither be harsh in their critism nor lenient.

Of course, there is not a briographer on Imam Ahmad except that he mentions the trial that this Imam went through in order to safeguard our creed. The story is very long and moving, but in short, when the Mu'tazilites (the rationalists) managed to establish their influence in the office of Khalif Ma'mun, the latter instigated an inquisition by examing the beliefs of all scholars and forcing them to confess that the Quran is not the speech of Allah. Rather Allah created this speech, the way he created the entire creation. Many senior scholars of his time were forced into this belief, some of these scholars were even killed, while others were imprisoned, and from them Imam Ahmad. This Imam lived and survived this great trial with much pain by witnessing many of the senior scholars of his time, as well as his close companions giving into the demands of the ruler and not remaining patient and speaking the truth. Fortunately, this episode left a great impression on the Hanbalis to come, so much so, that Hanbalis became known through out Islamic history, as the strickest of people in adherence to the Sunnah in beliefs and actions and the sternest of all people against Bid'ah; and the two classic examples of such Hanbalis, would undoubtedly be Ibn Taymiyah and Muhammad ibn 'Abdil-Wahhab.

So far so good, but a bit disappointing to see only 2 out of about 20 something people posting! We want mass participation people!! So tell us, when was he born? Where? When did he start his education? Under who? When did he start giving Fatwas? When did he die? How was his funeral? Who were his companions? How was his Madhab narrated and compiled?

All these questions need answers

wasalam

It really depends how actively people participate in these lessons. If people post on a daily basis and contribute to these lessons, then no doubt this will make these lessons more frequent, interactive and more interesting. Likewise, a slow response and lethargic participation will obviously make these lessons less frequent.

wasalam

- Ahmad ibn Hanbal was born in the city of Baghdad in the year 780 CE (164 AH).

-He died in Baghdad in the year 855 CE (241 AH).

I know that Imam Ahmads mum used to wake him up very early, before Fajr and take him to the mosque.

And when he was being taken (?) to be questioned about his stance on the Qur'an - there were loads of people outside waiting to write down what he would say... so he said how could be mislead all those people...

There is nothing more I know that what has already been said...

Oh, and there is this really nice statement of his - something along the lines of as long as he had his faith, then everythings ok (sorry, vague - but i can go and find it...)

Default 'Umdat al-Fiqh [What Do We Know About Ibn Qudaamah and his book al-'Umdat]

Apart from Imam Ahmad, it is also appropriate for us to find out about Ibn Qudaamah, and his works, in particular 'Umdat al-Fiqh, which we will be studying in these lessons.

Please share with us what you know about the author, his works, and amongst them, his book that are going to study!

wasalam

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast