Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Anti-Madhab scholars of the past and present and their statements against madhahib

This is a discussion on Anti-Madhab scholars of the past and present and their statements against madhahib within the Fundamentals of Law (Usul) forums, part of the Islamic Law category; Bismillah As Salaamu Alaykum wa Rahmatullah, I have encountered several " Hanfees" who accuse Salafis in general of being against ...

Hanfist Salfist Humblist Firebrand Mullah's Avatar
    Follow Firebrand Mullah On Twitter

Question Anti-Madhab scholars of the past and present and their statements against madhahib

Bismillah

As Salaamu Alaykum wa Rahmatullah,

I have encountered several "Hanfees" who accuse Salafis in general of being against madhahib. Furtheremore, I know "ele edees" from Af-pak who openly call for abandonment of Hanafi madhab.

In this regard I have a few questions I would like to find answers to:
    1. Did any scholar of the past openly advocate for the abandonment of the madhahib?
    2. Did any modern scholar openly advocate for the abandonment of the madhahib?
    3. Aside from some indo-pak-Afghan "ele edees", does any other group or movement openly advocate for the abandonment of the madhahib?
    Quote Originally Posted by Abu-Asiya View Post
    I have nothing against salafis. Even some of my friends are salafis.

Default Re: Anti-Madhab scholars of the past and present and their statements against madhahib

As far as my very limited understanding goes Imam Shawkani was someone whom I'm lead to believe had similar views to present day ahlul hadith when it comes to taqlid,but I'd wait till someone more knowledgeable than myself can clarify that before you quote me on it.
    “And say not concerning that which your tongues put forth falsely: “This is lawful and this is forbidden,” so as to invent lies against Allaah. Verily, those who invent lies against Allaah will never prosper.” [al-Nahl 16:116].

Syed Qutb (ra) when asked to seek pardon from nasser said
    Verily the index finger that testifies to the oneness of Allah in prayer utterly rejects to write even one letter that endorses the rule of the tyrant

Default Re: Anti-Madhab scholars of the past and present and their statements against madhahib

The majority of the scholars as far as I know all started learning their fiqh from one of the 4 madahib then started making ijtihad later on including Shaykhul Islam Muhammad ibn Wahhab (rh). As far as laymen go though, madhabs arent even a big deal here in Chicago USA except with the Desai immigrant brothers from India/Pakistan. It exist with Arabs, African Americans, Africans, East Asian, European immigrant Muslims etc but isnt outwardly expressed. In Chicago, Shafi'is, Malikis, and Hanbalis do not even publically announce themselves as belong to such and such madhab. Hanafis from the subcontinent are the only ones here who are extremely proud to announce their madhab to others and profess themselves as being from, "such and such madhab". Everybody else is lowkey. You would not even know a person is Shafi'i, Maliki, or Hanbali in Chicago unless you asked, whereas Hanafi immigrant brothers from the subcontinent ALWAYS quick to bring up their madhab.

The Shafi'is, Malikis, and Hanbalis are like those kids in school just sitting in the back relaxed. Hanafis are like those kids in school who write grafitti on desks and bathroom walls to let everyone know they were there. One of my buddies is Maliki, he led us in prayer today in Asr and you dont even know people are Maliki in Chicago until you see their salat. You dont even know someone is Hanbali or Shafi'i either unless you ask. You'll be talking to a Hanafi dude in the city and out of the blue he'll say something like, "I have 3 kids, one is in college. By the way Im Hanafi" and you never even asked him about it. That's the one thing I notice though, that's their "swag" I guess.
    Last edited by ChicagoSalafiyyah; 3rd August 2012 at 02:20 AM.

^ lol i found that post funny.. Surprising to see someone with a screen name such as yours , somewhat endorse studying through a school.. or at least admitting scholars in the past did so . Not making fun of ur screen name or anything but it really gave me the impression that you are a madkhali-abukhaadeeja type Saalmm!!

Salafi (Retd.)

Quote Originally Posted by Abdul Malik View Post
    ^ lol i found that post funny.. Surprising to see someone with a screen name such as yours , somewhat endorse studying through a school.. or at least admitting scholars in the past did so . Not making fun of ur screen name or anything but it really gave me the impression that you are a madkhali-abukhaadeeja type Saalmm!!
    Here at IA, we've been working on this problem for a long time.
    The Hawaalian Alliance
    Faith - Insight - Progress

God be with you, Don Quixote! Many are the windmills from which you have saved the Ummah!
    http://madkhalis.com/2013/06/the-qui...dkhali-and-co/

6. The Following User Says Thank You to justabro For This Useful Post:
    Wild Wild West (2nd August 2014)

no answers?

Salafi (Retd.)

Quote Originally Posted by Firebrand Mullah View Post
    no answers?
    Ibn Hazm and the post-ibn Hazm Zahiris. Yusuf b. Tashfin, the famous Amir of the al-Muwahhidun state, went so far as to try and suppress the Maliki madhab and at times, Maliki books were burnt.
    The Hawaalian Alliance

God be with you, Don Quixote! Many are the windmills from which you have saved the Ummah!

Salafi (Retd.)

Quote Originally Posted by justabro View Post
    Ibn Hazm and the post-ibn Hazm Zahiris. Yusuf b. Tashfin, the famous Amir of the al-Muwahhidun state, went so far as to try and suppress the Maliki madhab and at times, Maliki books were burnt.
    Also, he called on people to take from Qur'an and Sunnah directly without regard for any madhab or opinions of scholars. He also commissioned the famous Zahiri hadith scholar, ibn al-Qattan al-Fasi, to make a compilation on Ijma entitled al-Iqna', so that then alongside the Qur'an itself and the famous Hadith collections, they would have ready references to go directly to the Qur'an, Sunnah and Ijma'.

Incidentally, al-Iqna' is actually a very useful reference as he gleaned the Ijma'at cited by many great scholars in different books in one place. It is the most comprehensive classic reference on the topic.
    The Hawaalian Alliance

10. The Following User Says Thank You to justabro For This Useful Post:
    Abu'l 'Eyse (20th January 2013)

so the anti-madhab stance is strictly a Dhaahiri thing? Is this why Nuh Keller and Deobandi fanatics always accuse Salafis and Hanabilah of being dhaahiris?

Salafi (Retd.)

Quote Originally Posted by Firebrand Mullah View Post
    so the anti-madhab stance is strictly a Dhaahiri thing? Is this why Nuh Keller and Deobandi fanatics always accuse Salafis and Hanabilah of being dhaahiris?
    They do accuse Salafis of that, and there's some truth to it, although not entirely. Many modern-day Salafis who have been heavily influenced by ibn Hazm don't go nearly as far as he did on the issue of rejecting Qiyas. Some of them do actually reject Qiyas in principle, like Sh. Muqbil al-Wadi'i and Sh. Badi al-Din al-Sindi al-Rashidi. Some of them don't go that far but are close to the Zahiris in much of their approach to understanding the texts.

Do they accuse Hanbalis as well?
    The Hawaalian Alliance

13. The Following User Says Thank You to justabro For This Useful Post:
    Abu'l 'Eyse (20th January 2013)

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast