Important Figures in Islamic History

This is a discussion on Important Figures in Islamic History within the Personalities and Biographies forums, part of the Muslim History category; Just a place where I wanted to store some of the Important figures in Islamic History. At least some who ...

Follow ahmad10 On Twitter

Default Important Figures in Islamic History

Just a place where I wanted to store some of the Important figures in Islamic History.

At least some who are obscure to this Ummah...

ٰ ۚ ۖ ۚ
    ٰ ۚ ۚ ٰ

Indeed, Allah has purchased from the believers their lives and their properties [in exchange] for that they will have Paradise. They fight in the cause of Allah , so they kill and are killed. [It is] a true promise [binding] upon Him in the Torah and the Gospel and the Qur'an. And who is truer to his covenant than Allah ? So rejoice in your transaction which you have contracted. And it is that which is the great attainment.

(Surah at-Tawbah 111 - 111 )
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Si vis pacem, para bellum

Default Re: Important Figures in Islamic History

Abu Bakr an-Nabulsi: The Flayed Martyr

He was Abu Bakr Muhammad bin Ahmad bin Sahl bin Nasr ar-Ramli, the martyr commonly known as an-Nabulsi. He was a devout and pious worshipper who was not attached to the pleasures of this world. He always stood for the truth. He would fast every other day, and was an influence on all people around him.

He was a scholar of Fiqh and Hadith. He was considered to be one of the greatest scholars of Hadith of his time, as he narrated from the likes of at-Tabarani and Ibn Qutaybah. Also, he taught the likes of ad-Daraqutni, al-Midani, and Ali bin Umar al-Halabi.

Ubaydillah al-Mahdi established the Fatimid state, and took the city of al-Mahdiyyah after which he is named as its capital. This city is located on the coast of Tunisia, and it is about 16 miles from the southeast section of the city of Qayrawan. Then, the sons of Ubaydillah al-Mahdi continued his expansionist policy until Abu Tamim bin Ismail also known as al-Muiz li-Dinillah conquered Egypt. He entered it on Friday, on the 8th of Ramadan in the year 362 H, and established the city of Cairo . The rulers of this Fatimid state ascribed themselves to the Shiite ideology, while the people of Egypt and Palestine were Sunnis.

The tribulations presented by the Fatimid dynasty were a great trial for the Muslims. When they colonized Palestine, the righteous and poor people escaped from Jerusalem because the Fatimids would force the scholars of the Muslims to curse all of the Companions of the Prophet (peace be upon him) during their speeches and sermons. From these scholars who escaped the Fatimids was al-Imam an-Nabulsi, who escaped to Damascus. When al-Muiz li-Dinillah arrived in Syria and conquered it, he began to personally call to his heretical ideology, forbidding people from praying the Tarawih and Duha prayers, and forcing them to make Qunut during the Dhuhr prayers.

As for an-Nabulsi, he was from Ahl us-Sunnah wal-Jamaah, and he considered it an obligation to fight these Fatimids. He said in regards to these Fatimid rulers: If I had ten spears in my possession, I would throw one of them at the Romans, and I would throw the other nine at these tyrannical Fatimids.

When the ruler of Damascus Abu Mahmud al-Kitami was able to defeat the Qaramitah (who were the enemies of the Fatimids), he arrested al-Imam an-Nabulsi and put him in prison in Ramadan. When the commander of the army of al-Muiz li-Dinillah arrived in Damascus, an-Nabulsi was handed over to them and taken to Egypt. When he arrived in Egypt, he was taken to al-Muiz li-Dinillah, who said to him: I have been informed that you said that if a man has ten spears, then he should throw one of them at the Romans, and nine of them at us!

So, an-Nabulsi said: I did not say this!!

The Fatimid ruler smiled, and assumed that the Imam would retract his statement. So, he asked him: What did you say, then?
    So, an-Nabulsi responded to him with strength and boldness If a man has ten spears, then he should throw nine of them at you, then he should throw the tenth one at you as well!!!

So, al-Muiz asked him, in shock: And why is that?

So, the Imam answered him back with the same boldness: Because you changed the religion of the Ummah, and you killed the righteous people, and you put out the divine light of guidance, and you usurped that which did not belong to you!

So, the Fatimid ruler ordered for him to be brought out in front of the public. The next day, he was whipped severely. On the third day, an-Nabulsi was nailed to a cross, and a Jewish butcher was brought out to peel off his flesh after the Muslim butchers had refused to do so. By the time the flesh was peeled from the top of his head down to his face, he was still patiently engaging in the remembrance of Allah and repeating the verse from the Quran: {and that is written in the Book of Our Decrees.} [al-Isra'; 58]. When the butcher had finally gotten to an-Nabulsis arms, he decided to put him out of his misery, and took a knife of his and stabbed it into an-Nabulsis heart, after which he died.

It was later reported by eyewitnesses that while an-Nabulsi was on the cross, the recitation of the Quran could be heard coming from his dead body.

Also, Ibn ash-Shasha al-Misri narrated that he saw an-Nabulsi in a dream after he had been killed, looking very beautiful and joyous. So, he asked him: What has Allah done with you?

So, an-Nabulsi replied:

My Lord Loved me in eternal honor * And He Promised me closeness and friendship to Him

And He brought me close to Him * And Said: Rejoice in an everlasting life next to Me.
    Last edited by ahmad10; 27th September 2011 at 10:06 PM.

ٰ ۚ ۖ ۚ
    ٰ ۚ ۚ ٰ

Indeed, Allah has purchased from the believers their lives and their properties [in exchange] for that they will have Paradise. They fight in the cause of Allah , so they kill and are killed. [It is] a true promise [binding] upon Him in the Torah and the Gospel and the Qur'an. And who is truer to his covenant than Allah ? So rejoice in your transaction which you have contracted. And it is that which is the great attainment.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

3. The Following User Says Thank You to ahmad10 For This Useful Post:
    Farouk (29th September 2011)

The Allahuakbar thread and now this thread. Its too much to bear. All these good people gone to a better place and we are still here in this world for what ...?

One of the scholars who is most interesting to read about is the TabiiSulayman bin Mihran (died 148 H), also known as al-Amash (one who has weak vision). al-Amash had quite an interesting personality, as he was very pious and knowledgeable while also having a rough, sarcastic attitude that makes one smile constantly while reading through his tarjamah.

Here are some funny incidents of his collected from Siyar Alam an-Nubala (6/419-434) and Hilyat al-Awliya (5/54-70):

1 -
    al-Amash went out to some neighborhood one day, and some people came up to him to ask him regarding Hadith. His companions said to him: Wont you narrate to these poor souls? al-Amash replied: Who would hang pearls on pigs?

2 -
    Some people came to al-Amash one day, and he came out of his house to greet them, saying: Were it not for the fact that there were people in my house that I hate more than you, I wouldnt have come out to see you. Abu Dawud al-Haik asked him: Abu Muhammad, what is your opinion on praying behind al-Haik? al-Amash replied: No problem, as long as one doesnt have wudu. He also asked: What do you say about accepting his testimony? al-Amash replied: Only if it is accompanied by testimony from two trustworthy people.

3 -
    The governor Isa bin Musa sent a notebook along with a thousanddirhams to al-Amash for him to write down Hadith in it. So, al-Amash wrote: , ϒ (In the Name of Allah, the Beneficient, the Merciful: Say: He is Allah, One) and sent the book back to him. He sent to him, saying: Do you think that I dont know any Quran? al-Amash sent back, saying: Do you think that I sell Hadith? He kept the money for himself.

4 Abdullah bin Idris said to al-Amash: What prevents you from getting a haircut? He replied: The cuppers talk too much. So, he said: I will bring you to a cupper who will not say a word to you until he finishes cutting your hair. He brought him to a Junayd, a cupper who was also a Muhaddith. So, Abdullah warned him not to talk to al-Amash, and he agreed. However, when he had cut half of al-Amashs hair, he said: O Abu Muhammad, what is the status of the hadith of Habib bin Abi Thabit regarding menstruation? So, al-Amash got up, screamed, and ran away, sitting for a month with only half of his hair cut.

5 -
    A knowledgeable man with a long beard came to al-Amash and asked him a basic question about the prayer. So, al-Amash turned to us and said: Look at him! His beard could carry four thousand ahadith, and he asks a question that the children in school would ask!

6 -
    It is said that al-Amash had a son who was very slow, and he told him: Go buy a rope for us to hang our clothes on. The boy asked: How long do you want it to be, father? He replied: Ten cubits long. The boy then asked: How wide do you want it to be? al-Amash replied: As wide as my bad luck with you!

7 -
    Husayn bin Waqid was reciting Quran to al-Amash, and asked him: How do you like my recitation? al-Amash replied: Better than the recitation of any disbeliever.

8 -
    One time, al-Amash got up at night and could find no water. So, he rubbed his hands on the wall and performed tayammum and went back to sleep. He was asked about this, and he said: I am afraid to die without being in a state of purity.

9 -
    One time, al-Amash went out in the morning and passed by the mosque of Bani Asad. They were about to start praying, and he went inside and prayed. The imam recited al-Baqarah in the first rakah, and recited Al Imran in the second. When he finished, al-Amash said to him: Will you not fear Allah? Did you not hear that the Messenger of Allah ( ) said:Whoever leads the people in prayer should go easy, as there are those behind him who are old, weak, and have needs to tend to. So, the man said: Allah Said: {and it is heavy except on those who have khushu} [al-Baqarah; 45] So, al-Amash said: I am a messenger sent from those who havekhushu telling you that you are heavy.

10 -
    One time, a soldier wanted to cross a river. He came across al-Amash, who was standing near the river, so he jumped on his back and had him walk through the water. When he jumped on al-Amash, he recited Glory to Him Who has provided this for us ( the supplication for riding a vehicle). When al-Amash had gotten half way across the river, he threw the soldier off of his back, recited {My Lord! Cause me to land at a blessed landing-place, for You are the best of those who bring to land} [al-Mu'minun; 29] and left him in the river and ran away.

11 -
    One day, Shabib bin Shaybah and his friends came by to see al-Amash, and they stood at his door yelling: O Sulayman! Come out! From inside, al-Amash said: Who are you? They replied: We are {those who call you from behind the dwellings} [al-Hujurat; 4] So, al-Amash replied: And {most of them have no sense} [al-Hujurat; 4]

12 -
    One time, he wore an inverted sheepskin, such that the wool was on the outside. Someone said to him: O Abu Muhammad, why dont you wear it so that the wool is on the inside? This would be warmer for you. al-Amash replied: Why dont you go suggest this to the sheep?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    - So funny, Mashallah. This is true humor. May Allah (swt) bless him with the highest of al-Firdaus.
    Last edited by ahmad10; 27th September 2011 at 11:02 PM.

ٰ ۚ ۖ ۚ
    ٰ ۚ ۚ ٰ

6. The Following User Says Thank You to ahmad10 For This Useful Post:
    Prolix (27th September 2011)