Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Arabic Lessons with Abuz Zubair

This is a discussion on Arabic Lessons with Abuz Zubair within the Arabic Language forums, part of the Islamic Knowledge category; As-Salaamu 'Alaikum wa-rahmatullahi wa-barakaatuh, Welcome to our online Arabic lessons! I pray to Allah that He makes our intentions pure ...

Peculiarly Ostrobogulous Expergefactionist's Avatar
    Follow Expergefactionist On Twitter Add Expergefactionist on Facebook Add Expergefactionist on Google+

Default Arabic Lessons with Abuz Zubair

As-Salaamu 'Alaikum wa-rahmatullahi wa-barakaatuh,

Welcome to our online Arabic lessons! I pray to Allah that He makes our intentions pure and gives us the understanding of this religion, the key to which is the knowledge of the Arabic language.

I don't think I need to write something on the importance of learning Arabic, as there are plenty of articles already available on the site.

Refer to this URL: www.islamicawakening.com/articles.php?subcatID=2 for articles written on the subject of Arabic language, its importance and how to learn it, as well as other important articles related to seeking sacred knowledge in general.

However, I would like mention a few points before we begin our lessons.

1) Arabic is an amazing language, due to its beauty, versatility and more importantly due to the ease of learning. From here we understand the wisdom of Allah in revealing the Qur'an in Arabic, because Quran is an address to all human beings, and in the easiest language to learn. For if Arabic was difficult, Allah would not have revealed it in Arabic, for the purpose of revelation is to establish Allah's proofs against the creation, and to reveal it in a difficult language defeats the purpose of revelation. And therefore Allah says: Verily we have sent it down as an Arabic Qur`aan in order that you may understand (Surah Yusuf: 2). So do not let the devils from the Jinn and men whisper to you that you cannot learn Arabic, or that it is difficult. Be patient until the spirit of Arabic dwells into your soul and mixes with your blood and flesh. You will then feel as if Arabic is your forgotten mother tongue.

2) Arabic, just like any other language, needs much practice. It isn't sufficient for one to learn a few sentences or some grammar and think he has learned Arabic. Surely, learning Arabic takes years of perseverance. I began to learn Arabic in 94/95, and nearly ten years on, I am still learning Arabic. In fact, the sciences of the Arabic language are an endless ocean. One of my Arabic teachers, who is in his late 50s or early 60s told us that he had been teaching Arabic for last 40 years, yet he still attends lessons in Arabic with another Sheikh!

3) Due to the nature of these online Arabic lessons, the students most probably would not get the practice they require. However, those who really want to benefit from these lessons must implement what they learn in practice. For example, if you learn to construct past-tense sentences, set a target for yourself of writing at least 10 past-tense sentences in Arabic a day. Moreover, if you have Arab friends, or those who know Arabic, try to communicate with them in Arabic only; and if you happen to be parents, then speak to your children in Arabic, for that will not only help you, but help your children in learning Arabic from a very young age.

4) Give much importance to reading, and there is plenty of suitable material, appropriate for everyone's level of Arabic, available in nearly all Islamic bookshops. For example, if you are a beginner, then there is no shame in buying a children's book for your own reading and practice; and if you have no access to any Islamic bookshops, you can still visit various Arabic websites, save an article and try to read it in your spare time.

5) Any student of the Arabic language cannot do without a dictionary. Therefore, my suggestion for the students in the early levels (level 1-3) is al-Mawrid Pocket Dictionary, which is English-Arabic as well as Arabic-English; and for students in latter levels (3 +) Hans Wehr Dictionary.

6) If there is anything you do not understand, whether it is something you are taught in the lessons, or something you came across while practicing in your own time, please do not hesitate to ask, and do not feel ashamed.

May Allah make it easy for us these lessons and grant us perseverance and steadfastness on the path of seeking sacred knowledge.

Ameen

Was-salaamu 'alaikum

To join, you must subscribe to the 'Arabic' usergroup in the top menu

Follow Expergefactionist On Twitter Add Expergefactionist on Facebook Add Expergefactionist on Google+

Default Arabic: What we will learn in this level...

as-salaamu 'alaikum,

The following is what we will cover in this level:

-
    - - - - - -
    -
    ( - )
    ( )
    ( )
    A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new.

Albert Einstein

Default Arabic: What we will learn in this level...

as-salaamu 'alaikum,

The following is what we will cover in this level:

( ...)
    ( ...)
    ( ...)
    ( - )
    ( - )
    ( - )
    ( ...)

Albert Einstein

Default Arabic: Lesson One

As-salaamu alaikum

Welcome to our Introductory Arabic Lessons.

In these lessons we would learn the Arabic alphabets, how to pronounce them, how to join them to make words.

Arabic language is very easy, but as it is the case with any other language, practise is what makes a difference.

If you think you are going to learn Arabic by simply understanding a few concepts here and there, then you are mistaken.

Arabic is not learnt over night. It takes YEARS.

I started learning Arabic over 12 years ago, and continue to learn and practise. I can never claim that I have learnt Arabic.

Learning Arabic requires a lot of patience and perseverance. Therefore, if ones intention is sincere, and he is determined, provided that he fears Allah in open and secret, Allah will give him the understanding of the Arabic language, and open up for him the many venues to learn various other sciences, and thereby raising his rank in Allahs sight.

It is only a person with the aforementioned qualities, who can really enjoy the recital of the Quran and feel how the companions felt when they heard the Quran, the literal Word of God.

Some brothers informed me that when the recited the Quran after they had learned Arabic, it was, as if Quran came to life.

May Allah make us all from those who persevere, make our intentions purely for His sake, instil in our hearts the necessary Taqwa in open and secret and thereby grant us the understanding of His religion.

Arabic has 28 alphabets.

I have listed them below along with their sounds.

The first exercise is to commit these letters to memory along with their sounds.

Of course, this deserves a lot of practise on your own, off-the-net in your own spare time.

Also, do take note that I will NOT be listing the names of these alphabets, but merely what they sound like. Once we are familiar with the sounds, we can then familiarise ourselves with what each of the alphabets are called. (Yes, this approach is quite phonic)

1- a as in Apple
    2-
    ba as in Bat
    3-
    ta as in Tin
    4-
    tha as in Thunder
    5-
    ja as in Jeep
    6-
    Ha is similar to Hospital, but a lot heavier, from the throat
    7-
    Kha as in the Scottish Loch
    8-
    da as in Doll
    9-
    dha as in That
    10-
    ra as in Ring
    11-
    za as in Zoo
    12-
    sa as in Sun
    13-
    sha as in Shoe
    14-
    Sa like Sun but a lot thicker
    15-
    Da is like Doll but a lot thicker
    16-
    Ta is like Tan but a lot thicker
    17-
    Dha is like That but a lot thicker
    18-
    Aa is like Apple but a lot thicker
    19-
    Gha is a mixture of G and H, and it sounds as if your are gargling
    20-
    fa as in Far
    21-
    Qa is like Kite but a lot thicker
    22-
    ka as in Kite
    23-
    la as in Lamb
    24-
    ma as in Mother
    25-
    na as in Noon
    26-
    ha as in Hospital
    27-
    wa as in Wonder
    28-
    ya as in Young

Notice that there are some letters that sound quite similar, yet the difference between them is that one is normal, and the other is pronounced very thick.

Ha is similar to Hospital, but a lot heavier, unlike
    Sa like Sun but a lot thicker, unlike
    Da is like Doll but a lot thicker, unlike
    Ta is like Tan but a lot thicker, unlike
    Dha is like That but a lot thicker, unlike
    Aa is like Apple but a lot thicker, unlike
    Qa is like Kite but a lot thicker, unlike

Refer to the following helpful link with respect to pronunciation:
    http://abcsofarabic.tripod.com/alphabetpage.htm

Having understood the above, the first exercise we should do is putting different letters together to make various sounds.

DO NOT worry about joining the letters YET. Simply put the letters next to each other to make the following sounds. Although, if you do end up joining them, then well and good! Remember, ARABIC IS WRITTEN FROM RIGHT TO LEFT!

Do not yet worry about vowels either.

Do note that small English letters represent normal Arabic letters, whereas capital English letters represent thicker/heavier Arabic letters:

dha =
    Dha =

Examples:

bat =
    nad =

khaD =

Try the following yourselves:

1) bal
    2) thar
    3) jan
    4) HaQ
    5) khan
    6) dak
    7) dhaS
    8) rab
    9) zaf
    10) sar
    11) shab
    12) SaH
    13) Daj
    14) Ath
    15) Ghaz
    16) fam
    17) QaA
    18) kan
    19) lab
    20) mah
    21) naQ
    22) haz
    23) yaTh
    24) aDh
    Last edited by Expergefactionist; 16th June 2006 at 11:17 AM.

Albert Einstein

Senior Member ibn 'abd al-jabbaar's Avatar

Default my attempt

as-salaamu 'alaikum

here is my attempt. i have done them as in the examples, with the arabic text from left-to-right as opposed to the conventional right-to-left.

1) bal =
    2) thar =
    3) jan =
    4) HaQ =
    5) khan =
    6) dak =
    7) dhaS =
    8) rab =
    9) zaf =
    10) sar =
    11) shab =
    12) SaH =
    13) Daj =
    14) Ath =
    15) Ghaz =
    16) fam =
    17) QaA =
    18) kan =
    19) lab =
    20) mah =
    21) naQ =
    22) haz =
    23) yaTh =
    24) aDh =

Asalaam alayukum warahmutallahi wabarakatahu,
    Here is my attempt:
    1) bal =
    2) thar =
    3) jan =
    4) HaQ =
    5) khan =
    6) dak=
    7) dhaS=
    8) rab=
    9) za=
    10) sar=
    11) shab=
    12) SaH=
    13) Daj=
    14) Ath=
    15) Ghaz=
    16) fam=
    7) QaA=
    18) kan=
    19) lab=
    20) mah=
    21) naQ=
    22) haz=
    23) yaTh=
    24) aDh=
    \"As for those who strive hard in Our cause, We will surely guide them to Our Paths (Allah\'s Religion)\" Surah Al-\'Ankabut, Ayah 69

Default Reply

Assalamu alaikum.
    Here are my attempts:
    1) bal
    2) thar
    3) jan
    4) HaQ
    5) khan
    6) dak
    7) dhaS
    8) rab
    9) zaf
    10) sar
    11) shab
    12) SaH
    13) Daj
    14) Ath
    15) Ghaz
    16) fam
    17) QaA
    18) kan
    19) lab
    20) mah
    21) naQ
    22) haz
    23) yaTh
    24) aDh

2C oursels as ithers C us Umm Ahmed's Avatar

Default Bismillah

1) bal =
    2) thar =
    3) jan =
    4) HaQ =
    5) khan =
    6) dak =
    7) dhaS=
    8) rab=
    9) zaf =
    10) sar =
    11) shab =
    12) SaH =
    13) Daj =
    14) Ath =
    15) Ghaz =
    16) fam =
    17) QaA =
    18) kan =
    19) lab =
    20) mah =
    21) naQ =
    22) haz =
    23) yaTh =
    24) aDh =

Inshaa Allah thats allright, my children were all saying where is the
    Deeds are your money on the day of judgement , make sure you collect plenty now.

Say (O Muhammad SAW):"I am not a new thing among the Messengers (of Allh) (i.e. I am not the first Messenger) nor do I know what will be done with me or with you. I only follow that which is revealed to me, and I am but a plain warner." (Al-Ahqaf 46:9)

Default Lesson One

As-salaamu alaikum

Welcome to our Arabic Lessons Level One

Arabic language is very easy, but as it is the case with any other language, practise is what makes a difference.

If you think you are going to learn Arabic by simply understanding a few concepts here and there, then you are mistaken.

Arabic is not learnt over night. It takes YEARS.

I started learning Arabic over 12 years ago, and continue to learn and practise. I can never claim that I have learnt Arabic.

Learning Arabic requires a lot of patience and perseverance. Therefore, if ones intention is sincere, and he is determined, provided that he fears Allah in open and secret, Allah will give him the understanding of the Arabic language, and open up for him the many venues to learn various other sciences, and thereby raising his rank in Allahs sight.

It is only a person with the aforementioned qualities, who can really enjoy the recital of the Quran and feel how the companions felt when they heard the Quran, the literal Word of God.

Some brothers informed me that when the recited the Quran after they had learned Arabic, it was, as if the Quran came to life.

May Allah make us all from those who persevere, make our intentions purely for His sake, instil in our hearts the necessary Taqwa in open and secret and thereby grant us the understanding of His religion.

By now you should know:
    1) The Arabic alphabets
    2) How to pronounce them
    3) How to join them to form words
    4) You should have learned the short and the long vowels

And of course, a few Arabic words.

Moreover, at this stage you are strongly advised to do the following:

1) Read and recite the Quran regularly (at least 10 minutes a day), or even better, find someone who you can read the Quran to. This will immensely improve your reading skills

2) Try your best to get hold of al-Mawrid Pocket Dictionary which is a very useful Arabic-English and English-Arabic dictionary. Almost certainly you will need this dictionary in these lessons. You can easily buy it online from Amazon for around 3-10 USD and get it delivered right to your door step (just click on the aforementioned link). Another good dictionary to get is the famous Hans Wehr dictionary for only 12 USD. Although, you do not need this dictionary at this stage, but you will be needing it later on. But it is very important that you buy al-Mawrid pocket dictionary.

In this level, you will learn how to make basic sentences.

Before you begin, please note that the transliteration used in these lessons is in accordance with what we have decided in the Introductory Level

In this lesson we will start with and

These two are nouns that are used to point to something.

Such as in English: This is a book
    In Arabic:

The ha in and is pronounced with a double vowel.

Therefore, is pronounced haadhaa

And is pronounced haadhihee

In Arabic, unlike English, we have a strict segregation between the two genders. Even it must either be a masculine or feminine.

The masculine it or this is

The feminine it of this is

Hence, one would say of this:

And of this:

As you would notice, that simply attaching or to a word makes a complete sentence. Quite equivalent of simple English sentences such as: This is a book or This is a pen

Now, (pronounced maa) as used for interrogation, questioning, the equivalent of which in English is What.

So, if in English one would say: What is this?

In Arabic, this would be: ǿ

So, if someone were to ask you:

ǿ

You would say:

Or:

You would say:

Straight forward? Indeed!

So here is an exercise for you. It is up to you to find out what the Arabic for all the depictions. This is where a an English-Arabic dictionary will be of great help.

If you are completely stuck, and cannot find a solution, then, and only then, you may pm me.
    Last edited by Expergefactionist; 16th June 2006 at 01:07 PM.

Albert Einstein

Default 1-4

Here you go:

ǿ

ǿ

Albert Einstein

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast