A Thread For Answering Non-Muslims' Questions & Correcting Any Misinformation They Have About Islam

Discussion in 'Islam in General' started by Um Abdullah M., Aug 13, 2008.

1. Um Abdullah M.

Um Abdullah M. Nothing

Assalamu ala man ittaba'a al huda

Someone gave me this great idea to start a thread for Non Muslims' questions on Islam, a chance for them to learn about Islam and for us to make dawah.

This thread is for Non Muslims to post their questions about Islam, and for us to correct any misinformation they have about Islam.

Now the rules of this thread are:

A. To Muslims:

1.No answering without knowledge or out of assumption.
    2. If your not positively sure (100%) that the information you have about a specific topic is 100% correct, please verify it before posting it, we don't want to give incorrect answers or misinform unintentionally.
    3. Be patient.

B. To everyone (Muslims and non-Muslims):

1. No bad language or cursing.
    2. Be civilized in your discussion.
    3. Only discussions about Islam are allowed, no political or current affairs discussions.
    4. If you haven nothing USEFUL OR GOOD to say, please keep silent.
    5. STAY ON TOPIC, this thread is ONLY to teach others about Islam.

Too bad it wasn't possible for one to be a mod of only one thread.

If any Non Muslim has any questions about Islam, please post it here.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2008
  2. Abu_Talha

Abu_Talha <A HREF="showthread.php?t=70991"></A>

Jazakallah khair sister for this thread. Inshallah this will serve as a place of learning for the non-Muslims and help guide them to the truth. Can I also suggest something? Will it be okay if you were to add to the rules that the discussions here are to be related to Islam, and not to current events or politics, as these are often not reflective of Islamic teachings.

May Allah reward you for this effort.

3. Um Abdullah M.

Um Abdullah M. Nothing

Jazakallahu khayran brother, I edited my post and added that rule.

4. Abu_Talha

Abu_Talha <A HREF="showthread.php?t=70991"></A>

To all the non-Muslims on this forum: please use this thread if you want to discuss any aspect of Islam, or ask questions relating to Islamic issues.

5. ummafnaan

ummafnaan New Member

Decided to bump one of Umm Abdullah's beneficial threads? Morbius, George, any questions???

6. Um Ismail

Um Ismail New Member

Masha'Allah, thanks for bumping this thread Ummafnaan, I would have missed it otherwise. Jazaki Allah khayr sister Umm Abdullah.

SUGGESTION: Can the mods make this a sticky plz?

7. Abul Hasan

Abul Hasan Aim High.

No non-Muslim wants to use this thread I see. Does that say something about their intentions?

8. ummafnaan

ummafnaan New Member

Not to say I told u so, but... I told u so. All the acive non-muslims on this forum, are either here to mock islam, and taliban/Al-Qa'eda, or they are here to defend the crimes of America. Non of them have come to learn about islam. Anyway thats just my humble observation.

Edit: Except Wiliam. He is harmless.

9. Umm Ahmed

Umm Ahmed 2C oursels as ithers C us

There are different types of non Muslims , some want to know the basics of Islaam and what it's all about , some want to compare their views on topics with the Muslim view , and some come to Islaam that way.
    And no matter if they mock , there are many instances in the past of those who mocked Islaam but became muslims.

We pass on the message and try our best even if their intention is wrong ,ours should remain sincere, because there will be other non muslims reading , don't forget we have more visitors reading here than members.

10. Abu Treika

Abu Treika Magoo

akhi greenshirt was not muslim when he joined the forum

11. ummafnaan

ummafnaan New Member

I am aware that there are non-muslims who join the forum to learn more about islam. I am referring to the current three most active non-muslim members, i.e. George, mobius and Claymore.

12. godf

godf <A HREF="showthread.php?t=70991"></A>

Well... I was discussing certainty in Islam in another thread, but didn't really want to take the thread off topic, so could mention it here.

In Christianity, as it is taught (although increasingly rarely believed) that those who reject Christ go to hell, there needs to be a belief that the evidence in support of Christianity is overwhelming. Traditionally, this 'evidence' has been very weak, emotional stuff: "Open your heart to God... do you feel Jesus's love? Try harder? Don't reject him!!". I understand Islam has a reputation for taking a more intellectual approach.

Do Muslims believe that the evidence in support of the claims of Islam is overwhelming? Beyond a reasonable doubt? Or simply that the evidence shows those claims are quite likely to be true? A distinct possibility? What is this evidence? Why is it so widely rejected?

Many of the people here seem to talk as if the evidence is overwhelming, and the only way one could decide not to be a Muslim would be through self-deception.

Is this a recent phenomenon? Traditionally, Islam had been seen as relatively tolerant of other religions - why would this be if those followers were merely lying to themselves?; could it be that as religious freedom has increased in the west, Islam has emphasised its own certainty – as a way of justifying rules that have become relatively intolerant? The way we can define ourselves in opposition to others, and especially those we see as our enemies, is something we see time and again, and is something I feel people on this board do with the West.

I didn’t really want to have this discussion until I’d developed a better understanding of people’s beliefs and reasons for myself, but as I stumbled on to this thread and people seemed to be accusing me of being disingenuous, I thought I could at least start asking questions. I have had less time to spend online recently, but should still be able to reply every day or so.

Thanks.

13. abu hafs

abu hafs Anti-Shirk

godf,
    Do you believe in the existence of God, the Creator ?

14. godf

People seem to use all sorts of different definitions for God.

I do not believe in an entity similar to the 'God' character portrayed in the Old Testament. I do not believe there is an all powerful creature who is communicating directly with our minds, and has provided us with certain divine texts.

To me, I do not believe in God, as I understand the word, but some people define the word far more loosely.

15. abu hafs

abu hafs Anti-Shirk

To be honest, If you don't believe in a creator then It does not make any sense to explain anything about Islam.

I will answer your question very briefly.

1. Islam does not claim to be a new religon, rather it says it is the true religion, the religion of mankind that God has instituted from the very beginning.

2. The core of creed of Islam is to worship the Creator alone with out attributing even partial divinity to anyone or anything , which is clearly straightforward for everyone who beliefs in a single Creator.

3. Qur'an does state that the majority of mankind will not follow Islam for variety of reasons , of which the most important is blind following the religion of their forefathers .
    Other reasons are Prejudice against Islam/Muslims and unwilling to even consider it as a way of life , ignorance of the purpose of life , materialism etc.

16. Abdullah ibn Adam

Abdullah ibn Adam New Member

The real problem with "godf" is that he doesn't seem to be sure or certain about anything at all. Rather, he is in a haze. According to him, even the absolutes that he theoretically accepts to exist are impossible to practically identify.

Even to a simple question like "do you believe in God" he cannot give a clear answer.

17. godf

This discussion was shorter than I expected. I didn't need to worry about finding enough time, eh?

If there's an element of my answer you think is vague, identify it, and I'll clear it up. I see the length of my answer, and hesitancy to answer with a 'yes' or 'no' as a result of my desire for clarity, not lack of it.

There are degrees of certainty, and I don't think we should rush to absolute certainty without absolute proof. It may just be that you are happy to use to word 'certainty' at an earlier level than me. It has no serious implications for our philosophies.

18. Abul Hasan

Abul Hasan Aim High.

godf, tell us why you choose not to believe in God?

19. abu hafs

abu hafs Anti-Shirk

godf,
    What do you believe in and Why ?

20. Abdullah ibn Adam

Abdullah ibn Adam New Member

You were asked: Do you believe in God. Your answer didn't really answer the question; it simply went off into a typical godf-style haze.

It would have been far better for you to clarify what you DO believe regarding the existence of God (or whatever term you would prefer to use), instead of the vague answer that you gave.

Honestly, it seems clear to me that you are incapable of engaging in a clear discussion, because with you everything is so hazy and vague; then you wonder why no-one can relate to you.