Abdul Rashid Ghazi Martyred

Discussion in 'Global Affairs' started by abu_ibrahim, Jul 10, 2007.

  1. abu_ibrahim

    abu_ibrahim Wahabist


    A Pakistani cleric leading militants battling troops at Islamabad's Red Mosque, has been killed, Interior Ministry officials say. Abdul Rashid Ghazi's body was found in the basement of the mosque, hours after troops stormed it, officials said.

  2. Expergefactionist

    Expergefactionist hmmm... Staff Member

    May Allah grant him paradise.

    May the majus looking Paki army be made an example of in this life, ameen.
  3. Niqaabis

    Niqaabis Sadiyah Bint as-Seenee

    Inna lillaahi wa inna ilayhi raji'oon
  4. Abu Dharr Al Kashmiri

    Abu Dharr Al Kashmiri إني أحبك في الله ♥♥♥

    May Allah grant him al firdaws al'ala. Aameen

    the na-pak fauj has shown yet again which side it is on.
  5. abu_ibrahim

    abu_ibrahim Wahabist

    Pak army is a disgrace, they only use their might against the Muslims. This same army surrendered to the "cow urine drinkers" in 1971.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 10, 2007
  6. Umm Ahmed

    Umm Ahmed 2C oursels as ithers C us

    SubhanAllaah how true this is of most muslim armies around the world.

    Thats slaughter.
  7. Abu Dharr Al Kashmiri

    Abu Dharr Al Kashmiri إني أحبك في الله ♥♥♥

    look at the terminology these evil people use, militant, for the one who wants shari'ah in pakistan, was it not the Islamic Republic of Pakistan?!

    The na-pak fauj is definitely fighting in the interests of taghut.
  8. salafiya

    salafiya <A HREF="showthread.php?t=70991"></A>

    inna lillahi wa inna ilayhi raji'un

    I think his mother also died.

    May Allaah grant all of those killed in the school Paradise and give strength to those who escaped the school against those who wish to harm them. Ameen

    And I think it's WAY more than 50 people.
  9. Expergefactionist

    Expergefactionist hmmm... Staff Member

    Oh, don't even mention the most shameful act of surrender, perhaps in human history: 93,000 armed professional military men surrendering to the Indians.

    How can they live with themselves?

  10. abu_ibrahim

    abu_ibrahim Wahabist

    Edhi who provides ambulances in Pakistan said he was asked for 400 shrouds.
  11. Yasir

    Yasir لك الله يا مهبط الوحي

    Inna lillahi wa inna ilayhi raji'oon.
  12. MosDef

    MosDef Member

    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"They loved each other in this World, and they shall love each other in the Next. "
    The Souls of the Shuhadaa` in the Hearts of Green Birds.

    I heard some of the Pakistani ISI/Army used to pray in this Masjid!? In the end the dollar wins.
  13. Ibn Muhammad

    Ibn Muhammad New Member

    Chief cleric among scores killed in Red Mosque assault

    The chief cleric of Islamabad's Red Mosque was among at least 59 people killed today during an all-out assault on the compound, Pakistani officials said today.

    A military spokesman said Abdul Rashid Ghazi was killed by his own hardliners as he attempted to give himself up. Militants in the mosque had mounted a last stand in the basement of the madrasa.

    "He was accompanied by four to five companions and he wanted to surrender when he was shot dead in a hail of bullets by other militants," Brigadier Javed Cheema told the AFP news agency.

    The official death toll stood at 50 militants and eight soldiers after 12 hours of the assault, but in an earlier phone call to a local television station Mr Ghazi said there were "dead bodies everywhere", raising fears that the final toll would be much higher.

    Mr Ghazi vowed to die rather than surrender.

    In a television interview moments after the assault started, he accused government troops of shooting his elderly mother. "The government is using full force. This is naked aggression," he said. "My martyrdom is certain now."

    Special forces soldiers attacked from three directions just before dawn in a bid to end the seven-day siege of the radical mosque. But by afternoon they were still battling for control of the Jamia Hafsa madrasa, or religious school, which military officials described as a sprawling 75-room complex.

    "It will take some time to finish. The militants are fighting us room to room, in the stairs and on the verandas," said spokesman Major General Waheed Arshad.

    As he spoke, thunderous gunfire and loud explosions rang out from the mosque compound about half a mile away. Fleets of ambulances ferried the dead and wounded to local hospitals, where officials said they had treated dozens of injuries.

    The number of civilian casualties - hundreds of women and children are feared to be inside the mosque - remained unclear, with journalists pushed far back from the mosque compound and government security forces blocking media access to the city's main hospitals.

    Gen Arshad said the militants were firing on security forces from the mosque's minarets, armed with machine guns, rocket launchers and petrol bombs, and had booby trapped several areas. By mid-afternoon 76 children and women had escaped the mosque, some fleeing under burkas, according to officials.

    But fears lingered that a far greater number of people remained trapped inside. The army said many were being held as human shields inside a labyrinthine basement defended by a core faction of battle-hardened militants.

    Abdul Sattar Edhi, head of a respected aid agency, told reporters that the army had asked him to prepare 400 white shrouds used for covering the dead.

    Officials hastily revised their assessment of Operation Silence, as it has been codenamed, which they initially predicted would take just four hours. "It will take some time to finish," said Gen Arshad.

    Umme Hassan, the wife of Ghazi's brother, Abdul Aziz, was among those who escaped. Mr Aziz was captured trying to flee the mosque under a burka last week.

    Journalists expressed frustration at being denied access to city hospitals. A cameraman for an Arab TV station at one hospital said a member of the security forces had threatened to shoot him this morning if he did not leave immediately.

    The operation to break the bloody week-long siege in central Islamabad began at 4am (0000 BST). Commandos from the Special Services Group (SSG) - which the president, General Pervez Musharraf, once commanded - attacked from three sides, supported by thousands of rangers and police.

    They quickly encountered strong resistance - three soldiers were killed and nine wounded within the first 90 minutes. Speculation was rife that foreign fighters with links to al-Qaida or combat veterans from Afghanistan and Kashmir were among the militants.

    Gun-toting protesters temporarily blocked the Karakoram highway leading to China at the northern town of Batagram. Five policemen were injured in an attack in nearby Dir while 500 religious students rallied in the western city of Multan, shouting "Down with Musharraf!" the Associated Press reported.

    The pre-dawn raid was a risky gambit for Gen Musharraf, who throughout the crisis has had to weigh the benefits of proving his credentials as an anti-extremist leader against the possible domestic backlash in the event of large-scale casualties.

    Over the past six months the mosque had become a major embarrassment to his government as radicalised students abducted suspected prostitutes and defied police as part of a plan to foist Sharia law on the residents of the capital.

    Late last night there had been hopes that the standoff would reach a peaceful conclusion. A delegation of 12 religious leaders headed by the politician Chaudhry Shujaat Hussain started negotiations with Mr Ghazi, initially using a loudspeaker and then a telephone.

    Religious parties claimed today that Mr Ghazi had been prepared to surrender if certain conditions were met. But any compromise was rejected by Gen Musharraf, according to reports, and the talks collapsed at about 3.30am.

    Minutes later the shooting began and as he left the area Mr Hussain said he had "never been so disappointed".

    The combined death toll of today's assault and earlier fighting stood at 82, and was expected to rise further.

  14. Abu Dharr Al Kashmiri

    Abu Dharr Al Kashmiri إني أحبك في الله ♥♥♥

    ''Say: "Do you wait for us (anything) except one of the two best things (martyrdom or victory); ...'' 9.52
  15. Umm Ahmed

    Umm Ahmed 2C oursels as ithers C us

    That speaks volumes!
  16. MosDef

    MosDef Member

    A witness said those inside the compound were under "massive bombing and gunfire. This is indiscriminate killing ... There are dead bodies everywhere".
  17. Ibn Muhammad

    Ibn Muhammad New Member

    PTV, a Pakistani television corporation, describes the Pakistani army personnel who were killed in the assault as being 'martyred':

    The pre-dawn operation of security forces against the militants of Lal Masjid and Jamia Hafsa continues without any break. The move of forces named operation silence was started after the failure of talks between government officials and Lal Masjid management last night. Our correspondent Mohammad Shakil Malik reports from Lal Masjid that the commandos of S.S.G. are taking part in the operation. Eight security personnel including a captain were martyred and 28 others were injured.

  18. Abu Dharr Al Kashmiri

    Abu Dharr Al Kashmiri إني أحبك في الله ♥♥♥

    the ones who fought for shari'ah are the miltant and the army of taghut is martyred?

    Allaahumma zalzil aqdamahum! Allaahumma ‘adhdhib il-kafarata wal munafiqeen alladheena yasuddoona ‘an sabeelika Ya Qawiyyu Ya Azeez!
  19. Yasir

    Yasir لك الله يا مهبط الوحي

    This was his last will, as mentioned by the Jang over the weekend:

  20. Yasir

    Yasir لك الله يا مهبط الوحي

    Pakistan's iron fist is to the US's liking
    By Syed Saleem Shahzad

    KARACHI - A last-minute intervention by Pakistani President General Pervez Musharraf ended nine hours of negotiations seeking a peaceful end to the siege of the radical Lal Masjid (Red Mosque) in Islamabad.

    Apparently saying he was "heavily under duress from his allies", the president in the early hours of Tuesday instead ordered in the military to end the seven-day saga. Unconfirmed reports even say that Musharraf personally led the assault, along with Corps Commander Rawalpindi Lieutenant-General Tariq Majid. The media were barred from the mosque's immediate vicinity.

    Asia Times Online contacts believe that Musharraf was referring to Washington, which has in the past few months stepped up pressure on its partner in the "war on terror" to take action against al-Qaeda, the Taliban and foreign militants inside Pakistan.

    When the siege of Lal Masjid began a week ago, the administration of US President George W Bush was fulsome in its praise that something was being done, as the mosque is a known supporter of al-Qaeda and the Taliban, and even a safe haven for militants.

    According to the contacts, Musharraf said, "They want targets in Operation Silence," referring to the code name for Tuesday's final assault on the mosque. That is, the militants should be arrested or killed.

    On Monday, US State Department spokesman Sean McCormack, commenting on terror, said, "We believe Pakistan is a good ally, a good friend in fighting terror. They have an issue there with violent extremism. It's an issue that affects the Pakistani people as well as others in the region and the US."

    By Tuesday afternoon, Pakistani forces were in the final stages of clearing the mosque. They encountered fierce resistance, but the mosque itself was said to be secure. There was still resistance from fighters holed up in a nearby women's seminary associated with the mosque. Pakistani media reported that at least 40 fighters and three soldiers had been killed.

    The fate of Abdul Rasheed Ghazi is not known. He and his brother Abdul Aziz run the mosque. Ghazi was quoted on Geo TV as saying his mother had been wounded by gunfire. "The government is using full force. This is naked aggression. My martyrdom is certain now," the television station quoted him as saying. Aziz was captured on Wednesday while trying to leave the mosque disguised as a women in a full-length veil.

    At 5am, Ghazi sent text messages to journalists, including this one, saying, "My death is certain." One of the ideologues of the mosque, Ume Hassan, Aziz' wife, was arrested with her daughter Asma and 30 hardcore members of the Women's Brigade of Lal Masjid.

    The storming of the mosque is the first seizure of Taliban assets in Pakistan and is certain to have a strong ripple effect throughout the country as the mosque has strong links with jihadis and the Pakistani Taliban in the tribal areas on the border with Afghanistan.

    Although the offensive in Pakistan's federal capital - which has captured international headlines - is finally playing out, one question remains. Who is the real director of the drama? Observers and analysts believe there might be several - one running the show separately in Lal Masjid, and others pulling strings from the outside. If so, there can be no clean, simple end to the saga.

    The next episode has already begun in Batkhaila, North West Frontier Province, where the pro-Taliban Tehrik-i-Nifaz-i-Shariat-i-Moham has clashed with the military and seized all highways in the area, including on the Silk Road leading to China.

    It is only a matter of time before the US-led "war on terror" formally crosses the Pakistani border.

    When the talking stopped

    Lengthy talks before the military assault led to an agreement - at about 2am - on a safe passage for Ghazi. This was couched in terms of an "honorable arrest" - brief protective custody.

    The high-profile negotiating team included the Grand Mufti of Pakistan, Mufti Rafi Usmani; Minister of Religious Affairs Ejaz ul-Haq; and Chaudhry Shujaat Hussain, a former premier and president of the ruling Pakistan Muslim League.

    At this point, Ghazi said he would consult with his colleagues, and Hussain went off to confer with Musharraf for final approval of the agreement. Musharraf had earlier approved safe passage as an option.

    When the two sides communicated again - via loudspeakers and mobile telephones - Ghazi apparently then wanted to know what would happen to the "foreign militants" inside the mosque. And crucially, Musharraf had changed almost all of the agreements in the draft. The authorities then told members of the negotiating team to return to their hotels, and at 4:30am 111 Brigade of the 10th Corps moved into action.

    "Yes, the talks were successful. The draft was written. Abdul Rasheed Ghazi was to be allowed a safe passage, but then the draft was sent to the president and he amended it. Things were back to Square 1 and the talks failed," a dejected Grand Mufti Usmani told Asia Times Online by telephone. He rarely leaves his seminary in Karachi, but was specially invited to Islamabad by the government for the talks.

    Ul-Haq also confirmed that Ghazi was to be given a safe passage, but then had suddenly expressed concern for "foreign militants" and the situation changed. Asia Times Online talked to several members of the negotiating team but they said Ghazi never specifically mentioned "foreign militants". "He always asked for guarantees for him as well as for those who were with him inside, but he never mentioned 'foreign militants'," said Maulana Hanif Jalandari, the secretary general of the Federal Board of Islamic Seminaries.

    Asia Times Online contacts claim that the situation was complicated by the sudden appearance of a delegation of members of Parliament belonging to the government's coalition partners, the Muttahida Quami Movement. They are believed to have met with a US official at his official residence, after which the situation changed within an hour.

    The end of a long saga

    Lal Masjid leaped into prominence in 2004 when the prayer leader, Aziz, Ghazi's brother, issued a fatwa (religious decree) that any Pakistani soldiers killed in the tribal area of South Waziristan should not be entitled to Muslim funeral prayers or be buried in Muslim graveyards.

    The army was at the time engaged in an offensive against al-Qaeda and foreign militants in the area.

    The controversial decree was then signed by 500 Muslim scholars and it ignited serious discontent in the army, eventually prompting Pakistan to pull out from South Waziristan and North Waziristan after striking peace deals with the Pakistani Taliban.

    Later, the authorities claimed that a link between the Lal Masjid brothers and al-Qaeda had been exposed when Ghazi's car - laden with arms and ammunition - was recovered from a person named Usman.

    The religious community intervened and asked for evidence. Religious Affairs Minister ul-Haq was tasked with mediating and ensuring an impartial investigation by Military Intelligence. Ghazi spent a few weeks in custody, but no direct connections with terror were established, except that he knows all the main players, including Osama bin Laden and Taliban leader Mullah Omar, who have corresponded with him.

    After the London transit bombings in July 2005, when reports indicated that some of the perpetrators had visited Lal Masjid, it again came under official scrutiny, but no action was taken. Soon after, the brothers were declared wanted criminals, but no attempt was made to arrest them.

    In January, the authorities started a program to demolish mosques built on unauthorized land. Notice was served on Lal Masjid for illegal encroachment on government land by building Jamia Hafsa, a large women's madrassa (seminary) next to the mosque.

    Hundreds of girls occupied a nearby public library in protest and the conflict escalated when female vigilantes abducted alleged prostitutes and closed down video shops, at the same time demanding the implementation of sharia law in Islamabad. Lal Masjid was declared a countrywide movement. The authorities backed off and no action was taken against the mosque.

    Now they have finally moved, and there will surely be serious consequences, given the mosque's iconic status among jihadis.


Share This Page