Alfiyyah ibn Malik: any issues...

Discussion in 'Arabic Language' started by Ibn malik, Apr 8, 2009.

1. Ibn malik

Ibn malik New Member

It would be great if knowledgeable brothers and sisters would contribute to further explaining what the teachers covers each week, as sister hearandobey did in the other thread concerning the same book.
  2. hearandobey

hearandobey الحمدلله

I've moved the thread to the Arabic section, if you don't mind?

Could those that attend the lessons pls contribute insha'Allah? Also, has anyone begun memorising? how are you finding it?
  3. hearandobey

hearandobey الحمدلله

4. hearandobey

hearandobey الحمدلله

Salih al-Khuzaym's recitation is an excellent aid for memorising to make sure you pronounce everything correctly:

<center><iframe align="center" id="IW_frame_25261" src="" frameborder="0" allowtransparency="1" scrolling="no" width="330" height="155"></iframe></center>
  5. hearandobey

hearandobey الحمدلله

Attached is a pdf version of the matn.

Attached Files:

6. Captain Gora

Captain Gora RefuteEverythingThatMoves

I missed the first lesson.

Is the plan to explain the text only (which is ideal) without expanding the explanation or is he going to give additional information since I understood that he's doing this to revise his own studies?

I was looking for a printed explanation restricted to the text only and was recommended to check this one out.

Been reading Ibn 'Aqil's explanation for a few times and it's really good...but not the first book to study.
  7. hearandobey

hearandobey الحمدلله

Have you seen Dalil al-Salik by sh al-Fawzan? If you have a look through that, that's pretty much the style he's using with us.

Attached Files:

8. Captain Gora

Nobody wants to revise here? I failed to attend the first lesson, but I'll say what I remember from the muqaddima. This is not a translation since most stuff we should be knowing already...It's just the notes.

قَالَ مُحَمَّدٌ هُـوَ ابْنُ مَـالِك ​

He's Muhammad ibn 'Abd Allah ibn Malik, born in Spain, lived in Syria and died there 672 ah.

He's one of the leading scholars of arabic and the author of al-Kafiya al-Shafiya in grammar as well as its' abridgement, al-Alfiyya, which we are studying now.

وَأَسْتعِيـنُ اللهَ فِـي ألْفِيَّـهْ​

His poem is called Alfiyya because it consists of 1000 lines, naturally. Fi in this poem goes by the meaning of 'ala.

مَقَاصِدُ النَّحْوِ بِـهَا مَحْوِيَّهْ​

Maqasid meaning here most of and the most important things of arabic grammar. This poem covers them.

تُقَرِّبُ الأقْصى بِلَفْظٍ مُوجَزِ​

Simply put, it makes the difficult to understand easy, using brief but on point expressions.

وَتَبْسُطُ الْبَذْلَ بِوَعْدٍ مُنْجَزِ​

It's very generous in its content, which is realized in no time.

وَتَقْتَضي رِضاً بِغَيـرِ سُخْطِ​

Meaning: from the reader.

فَائِقَةً ألْفِيَّـةَ ابْنِ مُعْطِـي​

Ibn Mu'ti is a grammarian who died 628 ah. He wrote a famous book on grammar which was called Alfiyya as well.

وَهْوَ بِسَبْقٍ حَـائِزٌ تَفْضِيلاَ​

مُسْتَوْجِبٌ ثَنَائِـيَ الْجَمِيلا​

واللهُ يَقْضِي بِـهِبَاتٍ وَافِرَهْ​

لِي وَلَهُ في دَرَجَاتِ الآخِرَهْ​

Ibn Mu'ti was born before him, so he puts him higher in rank than himself and praises him for that. The rest is a du'a for them both.

It's pretty smooth since its once a week only.
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2009
  9. hearandobey

hearandobey الحمدلله

masha'Allah excellent notes!!

just in case there are more of us this monday than last week, there is a chance the brother might skip tasmee' of our hifdh because of time but he seemed pretty keen on it last monday so insha'Allah it's on and he said to me that whether he skips it or not, those that do want to have their tasmee' done can just ask him insha'Allah. it's VERY VERY recommended that you memorise this nadhm!
  10. auddin

auddin New Member

How do you attend this class?
  11. hearandobey

hearandobey الحمدلله

الكَلامُ وما يتأَلَّفُ منْهُ

كلامُنا لَفْـظٌ مفيدٌ كاسْـتَقِمْ *** واسْـمٌ وفعلٌ ثُمَّ حرفٌ الْكَلِمْ
    واحِدُهُ كَـلِمَةٌ والقـولُ عَمّ *** وكَــلْمَةٌ بها كَـلامٌ قد يُؤَمْ
    بِالجرِّ والتَّنوينِ والنِّدا وأَلْ *** ومُسْنَدٍ لِلاسْـمِ تمييزٌ حَصَلْ
  12. Ibn malik

Ibn malik New Member

ok I have the screen shots of the white board, (which were amazingly helpful), but how do I put them up?
  13. Captain Gora

Here is what I understood. Please participate and correct.

كلامُنا لَفْـظٌ مفيدٌ كاسْـتَقِمْ ​

Kalamuna: the kalam of the nahwiyyin. "Our speech" is enough to indicate that, since it's a nahwi speaking in a nahwi text.

Lafdh, meaning al-malfudhu bihi: Utterance. It is a masdar with the meaning of maf'ul. The definition of lafdh is sound that consists of some alphabets. So, when we say Zaidun, it's a lafdh, and when we say Daizun (Zaid backwards), it's a lafdh, and when we say Zaidun fi al-Baiti, it's a lafdh as well.

Mufid, meaning, an utterance that brings about such benefit that there is no need to say more after it i.e the listeners understands something complete from it. If you say In ja'a Zaidun, there's no ifada here despite the number of words because the sentence is incomplete.

ka istaqim: This is an example of kalamun mufid - It is an utterance composed of letters and conveys a complete meaning which is istaqim anta (the damir is hidden but understood). The author used this verb as an example not only because its suitable but also to remind the student to be upright as is mentioned in the hadith of istiqama.

واسْـمٌ وفعلٌ ثُمَّ حرفٌ الْكَلِمْ

Kalam consists of asma, af'al and huruf and doesn't leave this categorization at any moment. All of these are kalim-words.

واحِدُهُ كَـلِمَةٌ والقـولُ عَمّ ​

The mufrad of kalim is kalimatun.

wa al-Qaulu 'amm: The word qaul can be used for all the aforementioned: kalima, kalim and kalam.

وكَــلْمَةٌ بها كَـلامٌ قد يُؤَمْ​

Kilmatun is another language of the arabs for kalima. Kalamis sometimes referred to as Kilma or kalima amongs the scholars of arabic language, not nahwu.

بِالجرِّ والتَّنوينِ والنِّدا وأَلْ *** ومُسْنَدٍ لِلاسْـمِ تمييزٌ حَصَلْ

This is the beginning of the signs of Ism, which are:

(1) al-Jarr, whether by harf jarr, idafa or taba'iyya.

(2) al-Tanwin, which is a nun sakina in the end of the word when pronounced but not seen in writing. It includes

- Tanwin al-Tamkin: it sort of fortifies the ismiyya of the word (sorry for the english) and falls on those words that do not resemble huruf and af'al

- Tanwin al-Tankir: it turns a known indication of a mabni word into an unknown one, like "I saw Sibawaihi (the known one) and Sibawaihin akhara"

- Tanwin al-Muaqabala: it falls on jam' al-Mu'annath al-Salim corresponding to letter Nun in jam' al-Mudhakkar al-Salim.

- Tanwin al-'Iwad: it compensates either for a harf as in ja'a qadin, or a kalima as in kullun yamutu, or a jumla as in yauma'idhin tuhaddithu akhbaraha.

(3) al-Nida: if any of the huruf al-Nida come before it, we're dealing with Ism.

(4) Al or al-Alifu wa al-Lamu according to the other side of the khilaf.

(5) Musnad: meaning something affiliated with the word that informs us about it. When you say ja'a Muhammadun the fi'l is the musnad and the fa'il is the musnad ilaihi. This musnad which is the fi'l here indicates that the musnad ilaihi is ism. Ibn Hisham said that the musnad is one of the strongest signs of ism.
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2009
  14. hearandobey

hearandobey الحمدلله

you can attach items with your post (ie the screen shots) or upload it on an image hosting site then put them up here.
  15. hearandobey

hearandobey الحمدلله

also, Kalim here is the jama' of Kalima, in the same form as:

shajar / shajara

waraq / waraqa

So Qaul is anything uttered, beneficial or not. Says sh al-Fawzan:
    also the bit of قد يُؤَمْ means "may be intended"

yes so the likes of Ahmad, Yahya and Yazid do NOT fall under these as they resemble the af'aal: Ahmada, yahyaa, yazeed...

this is what some of the scholars of nahw said so that they could make sense out of it but if you were to add AL al-ta'reef to the jam' mu'annath al-salim, you wouldn't have tanween anymore whereas the jam' mudhakkar salim would always have the nun, so this is flawed and sh al-fawzan doesn not follow this opinion.

al-fawzan has the following to add:
  16. Ibn malik

Ibn malik New Member

The images are relating to 1)Kalimah/kalam 2)tanween types 3)tanween iwadh

Attached Files:

17. hearandobey

hearandobey الحمدلله

JZK for the attachments.

So in the pdf of "kalim kalam qawl"

you see that there are general rules that kalim/kalam have in common and specific that are their own.

so for kalim, it must be composed of three words or more but doesn't have to be mufeeda, hence why it is like qawl.

muhammad, zayd, amru

in jaa' al-mudarris...

as for kalam, it has to be composed of two words or more but must be mufeeda, so: "muhammadun nabiyyun".

as for the general (al'3moom that kalim and kalam both have in common that is when it is composed of three words or more but makes sense, so: "Muhammadun Rasul Allah"

also, just to add: in the bit of "wa kilmatun biha kalaamun qad yu'am" what he means is that sometimes by the word "kilma/kalima" it is actually kalaam that is intended. for example "kalimat al-tawhid" is the shahada, so that's more than one word.
  18. Captain Gora

I thought that the ism itself is not the musnad, but the musnad is a sing of the musnad ilaihi being ism. I thought that when you say

أتى زيدٌ

The إتيان is musnad ila zaid and zaid is therefore musnadun ilaihi hadha al-Ityanu. Also Ibn 'Aqil said that isnad here means al-Ikhbaru 'anhu, so how can we make ikhbar 'an fi'lin? Shouldn't we be making ikhbar 'an fa'il bi fi'lihi instead?

Please clarify.

BTW this english arabic thing sometimes gets really silly
  19. hearandobey

hearandobey الحمدلله

okay seems to be i misunderstood it somehow, the brother explained the isnad issue more last year and cos he just summarised it last night i think i misunderstood wallahu A'lam. i think what you said is more correct, here's what sh al-fawzan said:
    sorry about the english/arabic, don't have arabic keyboard at the moment and i'm using yamli for any arabic.
  20. Captain Gora

Does anybody know of a working arabic keyboard that's downloadable online and pretty easy to learn?

If you use windows XP I'd look for Arabic Fontboard in google. This board is very easy to use (the places of the letters match the latin letters as much as possible: L is laam etc) and I haven't found anything lacking in it so far. However, after I got Vista, I couldnt use it all the time for unknown reasons.