...Allah only increases the honour of the one who is humble

Discussion in 'Ethics and Spirituality' started by Abu Ammar, Apr 26, 2010.

1. Abu Ammar

Abu Ammar New Member

Assalaamu ‘Alaykum Warahmatullaahi Wabarakatuhu
    All praises are due to Allaah and may the peace and blessings of Allaah be upon the Seal of Prophethood, the Noble Messenger (sallallaahu ‘alyhi wasalam).

وَإِذْ قُلْنَا لِلْمَلَـئِكَةِ اسْجُدُواْ لاًّدَ
    فَسَجَدُواْ إِلاَّ إِبْلِيسَ أَبَى وَاسْتَكْبَرَ وَكَانَ مِنَ الْكَـفِرِينَ

“And (remember) when We said to the angels: “Prostrate yourselves before Adam.” And they prostrated except Iblis (Shaytan), he refused and was proud and was one of the disbelievers (disobedient to Allah).” (2:34)
    The sin of Shaytaan was his kibr (arrogance) which led to his eventual disobedience to a direct command of Allaah. He was proud of what he had been created from i.e. fire.

أَنَاْ خَيْرٌ مِّنْهُ خَلَقْتَنِي مِن نَّارٍ وَخَلَقْتَهُ مِن طِينٍ

“I am better than him (Adam), You created me from Fire and him You created from clay.”(7:12)
    The sin of arrogance has its ugly roots with Shaytaan himself and that should be enough of a reason for us to avoid this trait. Instead, we should enstill within ourselves the virtue of humbleness, a virtue which is from the Blessed Sunnah of the Noble Messenger (sallallaahu ‘alyhi wasalam) and one which Allaah himself has praised.

When the Prophet (
    sallallaahu ‘alyhi wasalam) entered Makkah as a conqueror, he bgan to pass by all the passages where he was abused and ridiculed. How often did he hear in those valleys, “O madman! O magician! O soothsayer! O liar!” On that day, he passed through them as a powerful leader. Allah had humiliated those who had insulted him in front of his eyes.

How did he feel as he entered Makkah?

‘Abdullah bin Abu Bakr – may Allah be pleased with him – said, “When the Messenger of Allah (sallallaahu ‘alyhi wasalam) reached Dhi Tuwa, he stopped, whilst still mounted on his ride, wearing a red mantle. And there he was, bowing his head in humility, upon witnessing the victory Allah had blessed him with, such that the end of his beard was almost touching his saddle.

Ibn Mas’ud – may Allah be pleased with him – said, “A man came to the Messenger of Allah (sallallaahu ‘alyhi wasalam) and spoke to him regarding a matter. Whilst speaking to the Prophet (sallallaahu ‘alyhi wasalam), the man shivered.” Seeing this, the Prophet (sallallaahu ‘alyhi wasalam) said, “Take it easy! I am just a son of a woman from Quraysh who used to eat dried meat.”

In short…Whoever is humble for Allah’s sake, Allah elevates him. Allah only increases the honour of the one who is humble.”

Page 430. Istamta’aah bi-hayaatik (Enjoy your Life)- Dr. Muhammad ‘Abd Al-Rahman Al-’Arifi

Source