Allah's hands are they both "right" or one "right" and the other "left"?

Discussion in 'Islamic Theology and Ideology' started by Um Abdullah M., Sep 12, 2007.

1. Um Abdullah M.

Um Abdullah M. Nothing

assalamu alaykum

someone asked about this in another forum, and I answered it like this:

this is how it was explained by shaikh Ibn Baz and Ibn Uthaimin rahimahu Allah

thought I would share it for everyone's benefit.
  2. Um Abdullah M.

Um Abdullah M. Nothing

forgot to mention that the evidence for Allah having a "left" hand is hadith in sahih Muslim (Book 39, Hadith Number 6704)

Last edited: Sep 12, 2007
  3. realsalafee

realsalafee Member

salaams, is tht 2 litteral right hands, a litteral right hand and a litteral left hand, or two litteral right hand and a litteral left hand?
  4. Um Abdullah M.

Um Abdullah M. Nothing

we have 2 hadith, one saying "bi-shimalihi" (with His left), and the other says "both are yameen".

whwn you do jami' between the hadiths (bring them together) u get the answer i posted above
    for the word yameen comes from the word "yumn" which means "baraka" , so both hands are yameen means "mubaraka" (blessed)
  5. Shaghuri

Shaghuri New Member

The wording of Shimal in the Hadith of Muslim is Shadh, as stated by the Muhaqqiqun. I forget the narrator that was discussed in that, someone by the name of Hamza...maybe you can look into that.
  6. Um Abdullah M.

Um Abdullah M. Nothing

shaykh Ibn Uthaimin rahimahu Allah said that some rejected it (I mean that part), and some accepted it,
    He said, if it is correct - authentic then we should believe in it like it is, but if it is not then both are yameen.
    I didn't mention that, because in that forum many are laymen, and if I said this in the answer, then he won't understand becuase he will say that the hadith in sahih Muslim, so it shoudl be sahih ..etc.
    and it will turn into a long discussion, and it might confuse many.
  7. Expergefactionist

Expergefactionist hmmm... Staff Member

I discussed this before here:

8. Um Abdullah M.

Um Abdullah M. Nothing

jazakallahu khayran
  9. Abou_Tourab

Abou_Tourab New Member

How can we make a combination between the report "with His left Hand", mentioned in the hadeeth of Ibn 'Umar, radyAllaahu 'anhumaa, in Saheeh Muslim and his, sallAllaahu 'alayhi wa sallam, saying: "And both His hands are right-handed?"

There is no contradiction between the two hadeeths that is apparent on the outset. Thus his, sallAllaahu 'alayhi wa sallam, saying: "And both His hands are right-handed" is an affirmation of Allaah's statement: "There is nothing whatsoever like Him (in comparison). And He is the All-Hearer, the All-Seer." [Surah Ash-Shooraa: 11] So this description, which the Messenger of Allaah, sallAllaahu 'alayhi wa sallam, has informed us of is an affirmation of Allaah's removal from any anthropomorphic qualities. Thus, the hand of Allaah is not like the hand of a human being – left-handed and righthanded. On the contrary, both His hands are right-handed, may He be far removed from any defects. As for the other point, then it is that the report: "with His left hand" is shaadh, as I have clarified in the checking of "Al-Mustalahaat-ul-Arba'ah Al-Waaridah feel-Qur'aan" of Al-Mawdoodee. What further supports this is that Abu Dawood also reported this hadeeth and (in it, he, sallAllaahu 'alayhi wa sallam) said, "with His other hand" in the place of "with His left hand." This report is in conformity with his, sallAllaahu 'alayhi wa sallam, other saying: "And both His hands are right-handed." And Allaah knows best.

Shaykh al Albani
    Al Asalah No 4