Amazing Inventions

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Prolix, Jun 24, 2011.

1. Prolix

Prolix Prospicient

Every once in a while I'll come across interesting inventions which I think deserve mention but I have no idea where to put - So I decided to create a thread for them.

From the simple, entertaining, pointless, to downright complicated, in the changing world we're in, knowing and being aware of different technologies and innovations is interesting, and can be at times significantly important.

So here's a few for starters:

Shark Tea Infuser (entertaining)

Here’s an interesting concept, ideal for your morning cup of tea, from Argentinian designer Pablo Mattedoa.

Place some teas leaves in the Shark Tea Infuser, and set it on top of a cup of hot water, it will then infuse your tea and make you a nice cup of tea.

Source

[​IMG]

"Magic" Wand (entertaining but useless)

This battery powered wand features a mini Van de Graaff generator inside. Push a button on the handle and the static charge built up in the wand causes the included 3D mylar shapes to levitate at your command. You can also do some cool tricks causing the shapes to jump back and forth from your hand to the wand. Not quite Harry Potter… but hey, we do our best for you. ThinkGeek.

(has some music)
    <iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/4Jf_zA5VuGs" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="349" width="425"></iframe>

Poor Little Fishbowl Sink (-no comment-)

This particular gadget illustrates how important it is to conserve water. When you are using this sink to wash your hands, the fish loses its real estate if you take too much time. Yes, the water level in the fish bowl will actually go down if you are scrubbing your hands too long. In case you are wondering, there are safety features so the fish won't have all of its precious water taken away. Just to let you know, you are not using the same water that a fish is inhabiting. It's just made to appear that way. The truth is the fish water drains underneath the sink, and then will return to normal.

This Poor Little Fishbowl sink is still a concept from Chinese designer Yan Lu, and it really isn't made to replace every sink. In fact, I would best classify it as some sort of art project with a very obvious message.

[​IMG]

Staircase Drawers (useful - maybe not practical)

[​IMG]

Floating Ladle (useful)

[​IMG]

Saw this design of a ladle and thought it was quite interesting – there is a hollow ‘ball’ at the stem. Due to the hollow ball the ladle always floats on the water surface, very much like buoys on the sea. This way, you can just leave the ladle in the liquid (think fruit punch tumbler) without worrying about dripping or even having to hang on to the side of the container. An added bonus will be the ease-of-washing when doing the dishes.
    Here’s how it works:

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/SiPAyU-2wOY" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="349" width="425"></iframe>

[Designer: Lee Seongyong]

Now some complicated stuff...

360º 3-D Holographic Displays

The ZCam<sup>TM</sup> is a video camera that can capture depth information (which is used to build the 3D model) along with video and is produced by 3DV Systems. The technology is based on the Time of Flight principle. In this technique, 3D depth data is generated by sending pulses of infra-red light into the scene and detecting the light reflected from the surfaces of objects in the scene. Using the time taken for a light pulse to travel to the target and back, the distance can be calculated and used to build up 3D depth information for all objects in the scene. (Via 3dvsystems)

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/FF1vFTQOWN4" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="349" width="560"></iframe>

Military exoskeleton prototype

The Military exoskeleton is a completely un-tethered, hydraulic-powered anthropomorphic exoskeleton that provides users with the ability to carry loads of up to 200 lbs for extended periods of time and over all terrains. Its flexible design allows for deep squats, crawls and upper-body lifting. There is no joystick or other control mechanism. The exoskeleton senses what users want to do and where they want to go. It augments their ability, strength and endurance.

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/0hkCcoenLW4" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="349" width="425"></iframe>

Invisibility Breakthrough for Japanese Researchers

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/PD83dqSfC0Y" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="349" width="425"></iframe>

... That's all ... for now.

2. Abu Hurairah

Abu Hurairah Well-Known Member

Apparently this was a really good idea.

[​IMG]

wurood and Die for Allah like this.
  3. yahya007

yahya007 rep-power police

Staircase Drawers amazing

4. abu.turaub

abu.turaub <A HREF="showthread.php?t=70991"></A>

[video=youtube;LqQ_NEGInKE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LqQ_NEGInKE[/video]

5. Prolix

Prolix Prospicient

The Poor Little Fish Sink (forgot the pics last time)

[​IMG]
    The pictures here are pretty explanatory of what this sink is all about, but don’t worry, it is just an illusion. As a result of some clever plumbing, the water level in the fish bowl drops as someone washes their hands in the sink basin. The design is intended to promote water conservation with a simple but poignant message: the more water you use, the more water is taken from the fish.
    [​IMG]
    Of course this isn’t literally the case. The water from the fish bowl is moved to a storage container while the sink is in use and then moved back once the sink is turned off. Also, the water level is only lowered to a point. Once that level is reached, the water level stops falling and the fish is safe (It really wouldn’t make much sense to wash your hands in water that a fish has been swimming around in anyway). But hopefully the visual illusion is enough for people to get the larger point that wasting water is taking water away from ecosystems that rely it.
    [​IMG]

6. Prolix

Prolix Prospicient

Mirror Tired Bikes by Olafur Eliasson

[​IMG]
    Only problem is, it might be a distraction for some others...

[​IMG]

7. Abdullah11

Abdullah11 A wannabe neologist

8. Chrysalis

Chrysalis New Member

^ Interesting. Please let us know if it works.

9. Abdullah11

Abdullah11 A wannabe neologist

InshAllah.

10. Abu Treika

Abu Treika Magoo

tumblr_kzc6v4HssA1qzxzwwo1_500.jpg

Best invention ever.

murdiyyah likes this.
  11. Prolix

Prolix Prospicient

No room for a pool? No problem. Now about the money...

[​IMG]

Maybe not much of an invention, but definitely unique:

[​IMG]

Treadmill Scooter/bike. I kid you not, it's real.

[​IMG]

12. Chrysalis

Chrysalis New Member

lol @ the Treadmill Bike. It's hilarious.

murdiyyah likes this.
  13. al-suyuufi

al-suyuufi Naql-head

that "magic" wand thing looks pretty cool to be honest. please, don't teach me how it works

14. Prolix

Prolix Prospicient

For the Tea/Coffee Lovers

SmartMug Electronic Travel Mug

[​IMG]
    (soruce: amazon.com)

If you are tired of having to dump out half of your coffee because you simply can’t drink it all before it cools down, this mug could be the answer to your prayers. The SmartMug is an electronic travel mug that plugs into your car’s cigarette lighter and keeps your coffee hot at your specified temperature! Perfect for that long morning commute where traffic frequently causes your coffee (and you) to loose steam before you even get halfway to work. A digital screen displays the temperature and various other information. Lights on the mug alert you that your coffee is either heating or at the desired temperature. Its like taking your coffee maker’s hot plate on the go! Stay warmer, longer with the SmartMug.

A Mug With Security

[​IMG]
    (source: core77)

Had enough of your friends or co-workers using your coffee mug when you aren’t around? Worried about the health risks of sharing cups? Finally, a coffee mug with security! A hole at the bottom of the mug that can only be plugged by the mug’s key-holder serves to prevent anyone but it’s owner from using it. Try pouring coffee into it without the key to plug the hole and you’ll have quite a mess to clean up!

Mug With a Pocket

[​IMG]
    (source: Vat19)

Have you ever dreaded that long walk to the trash to throw away your spent tea bag once all its contents have been strained into your tea? Tired of leaving tea-bag stains on the table or desk because you don’t want to put the paper down and leave your breakfast to dispose of said tea bags? This mug is perfect for avid tea drinkers, sporting a handy pouch on it’s side made for holding spent tea bags, or biscuits for as long as needed! This handy mug makes the morning wake-up a little more comfortable.

Dunk Mug with Biscuit Holder

[​IMG]
    (sources: gadgets, firebox)

Drinking coffee or tea should never be a hassle. Who wants to bother with saucers and plates, laying out biscuits, and so on? With this dunk mug, you dont have to worry. No more handling extra saucers or dealing with boxes of biscotti, or even extra washing. The idea is so clever, and though not revolutionary, so utterly simple and useful that you have to wonder, why didn’t anyone think of it before?

Amazing Self-Stirring Coffee Mug (Warning: Does contain Music)

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/wYy7O1MtArc" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="390" width="640"></iframe>
    (source: stirring mug)

The self-stirring coffee mug really is awesome. All you do is pour in the coffee, add the cream and sugar, and press a button. Voila! Now need for a spoon or a stirring stick, the mug does the job for you, which also means less washing for you.

On-Off Mug

[​IMG]
    (source: swissmiss)

This mug, covered with heat sensitive pigment, changes from black to white (or vice versa) depending on whether it’s full or not, and how full it is. Furthermore, it also shows ‘on’ or ‘off’ as you fill it, or gulp the coffee/tea down. This, of course, comes in handy in preventing spills as you can tell which mugs on the table are full and which are empty. However, since the pigment is activated by heat, don’t expect it to work at room temperature.

The Pessimist’s Mug

[​IMG]

(source: demotivators)

The pessimist’s mug can be used as a reminder to yourself to stay optimistic, or given as a gag gift to your favorite Debbie Downer. Whether you use it as a joke or for personal development, the mug can be powerful in its otherwise humorous message.

Did You Inhale?

[​IMG]
    (image via: Le Whif)

If you’re looking for a coffee experience that is worlds away from any other, nothing beats inhalable coffee. Le Whif, which has been selling inhalable chocolate for quite some time, recently introduced a breathable coffee shot. It’s said to have as much caffeine as a small cup of espresso, but instead of sipping it leisurely you simply put it into your mouth and breathe in the flavor and the kick.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2011
  15. Hamza Patterson

Hamza Patterson Proud Geek

Do you actually search for these? (I'm not criticizing btw, i think inventions are cool.)

16. Prolix

Prolix Prospicient

Not quite, like I mentioned, I come across them. Sometimes it's from a picture I see, or someone sends me, and then when I go to look up a bit about it, I'll come across compilations of other people that I just take advantage of. Some which I keep, others I disregard.

This last one was from here: The 11 Coolest Mugs for a Hot Cup o’ Joe | WebUrbanist

murdiyyah likes this.
  17. Abu Treika

Abu Treika Magoo

The mug with the biscuit compartment is something i would actually consider buying. Great invention.

18. Tuwaylib

Tuwaylib Anti-Defeatist

<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ZboxMsSz5Aw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

This is cool....

19. Layth

Layth Abu Shawarma

^^That was AMAZING!

20. learn arabic

learn arabic <A HREF="showthread.php?t=70991"></A>

agreed thats just mind boggleings.

whoever made that concept come to real life is a genus.