Blind Following one of The Four Madhabs

Discussion in 'Identity, Activism and Unity' started by Мармеладка, May 23, 2009.

1. Blind Following one of The Four Madhabs

<SMALL class=date>27 03 2009 </SMALL>
    Imam Abu Haneefah said: “If the hadeeth is saheeh then that is my madhhab.” And he said: “It is not permissible for anyone to follow what we say if they do not know where we got it from.” According to another report he said: “It is haraam for the one who does not know my evidence to issue a fatwa based on my words.” And according to another report he added: “We are human, we may say something today and retract it tomorrow.” And he said: “If I say something that goes against the Book of Allaah or the report of the Messenger (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), then ignore what I say.”
    Imam Maalik said: “I am only human, sometimes I make mistakes and sometimes I get things right. Look at my opinion and whatever is in accordance with the Qur’aan and Sunnah, take it, and whatever is not in accordance with the Qur’aan and Sunnah, ignore it.” And he said: “There is no one after the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) whose words cannot be taken or left, apart from the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him).”
    Imam al-Shafi’ee said: “There is no one who will not be unaware of some of the Sunnah of the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him). Whatever I say or whatever guidelines I establish, if there is a report from the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) which is different to what I said, then what matters is what the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said, and that is my opinion.”
    Imam Ahmad said: “Do not follow me blindly and do not follow Maalik or al-Shafi’ee or al-Awzaa’i or ath-Thawri blindly. Learn from where they learned.” And he said: “The opinion of al-Awzaa’i and the opinion of Maalik and the opinion of Abu Haneefah are all mere conjecture and it is all the same to me. Rather evidence is to be found in the reports – i.e., in the shar’i evidence.”
    Shaykh al-Islam Ibn Taymiyyah said: “No one has to blindly follow any particular man in all that he enjoins or forbids or recommends, apart from the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him). The Muslims should always refer their questions to the Muslim scholars, following this one sometimes and that one sometimes. If the follower decides to follow the view of an imam with regard to a particular matter which he thinks is better for his religious commitment or is more correct etc, that is permissible according to the majority of Muslim scholars, and neither Abu Haneefah, Maalik, al- Shafi’ee or Ahmad said that this was forbidden. “
    Majmoo’ al-Fataawa, 23/382.
  2. Pluma

Pluma <A HREF="showthread.php?t=70991"></A>

Kalaamu al-haqq uriida bihi al-baaTil.

You know what is the most laughable about what you just posted?

You quoted quotes enjoigning not follow blindly one man, and then you put the title "blind following one of the four madhhab," suggesting that you believe that following the Hanafi madhhab = following Abaa Haniifa.

That just mean you probably self-humiliated yourself in front of anyone who does understand what is the reality of following a madhhab.

Otherwise, I fail to understand how can you conclude from Ahmad's words that he his speaking to someone else than a 'aalim/speaking to every single muslim of the world.

I also fail to understand how the fatwa of Ibn Taymiyya is supposed to mean "each time there is a khilaaf between the 'ulamaa, look at the daleel and do tarjiih of this opinion of this opinion according to the strongest daleel, even if you don't have any clue about ikhtilaaf on the ahaadiith, even if you miss basic arabic knowledge, even if you are not able to read one sura without doing a mistake, even if you don't have any clue of uSoul al-fiqh"

I personnaly have discussions with a salafi who admit to me having problem reading the Qur-aan because he does not know basic i'raab, so he has problem saying Allahu or Allaha or Allahi depending of the position of the word Allah in the sentence.

He's always speaking about searching for the strongest daliil. He lived all his life in an arabic country and refuse to learn the Maaliki madhhab because he's afraid of not following the good daleel

This is laughable. Totally loling.
    Last edited by a moderator: May 24, 2009
  3. Pluma

Sorry if I was too harsh.
  4. Medean Heritage

Medean Heritage New Member

I'd rather follow the ikhtaa' of 'ulama as-salaf, even if this meant subscribing to one math-hab, than following the ikhtaa of contemporary salafi 'ulama... Honestly there's no comparison.
  5. Pluma

Exactly. There is a total rahma in following a madhhab :

1-You don't fall in zandaqa
    2-You don't stick to all the easiest opinion or all the harsh opinion
    3-You have a clear hujja in front of Allah. If he ask you why did you pray like that, just point the dozens of 'ulamaa and it will insha Allah be ok.
  6. Abdullah11

Abdullah11 A wannabe neologist

As advise sister Bint; stick to the the imaan boosters, lessons and warnings,
    inshAllah. May Allah reward you.
  7. Naseer08

Naseer08 New Member

Its fair to say the major proponents of choosing a mathab and strictly adhering to it is the Talblighi Jamaat.
  8. Suhaib Jobst

Suhaib Jobst 'Amal Ahl al-Madina

A majority of the Umma or at least most of its scholars and leading luminaries are proponents of taqlid of a madhhab. So the Tablighi Jamaat are not alone in their position. I have myself chosen to be a muqallid, which is to follow the qualified opinions of those great imams of our Umma. It is a recognition that we don't have the qualifications to be able to pick and choose at will, rather we should trust the scholarship of our chosen madhhab.
  9. Skillganon

Skillganon The Serial Repper

Go easy on the sister, it's a small mistake that can be clarified easily.

10. generally the ummah do taqleed when taqleed is necessary. initially i went to those i trusted to give me the correct rulings with regards to the fardh mustahabb and haraam. my only intention was to find out how allaah and his messenger (saaw) had ruled. just so happens that these people were hanafees and they did not always relate rulings based on explicit daleel but rather based on the opinions of the madhhab. i like the majority of the ummah inadvertently became enslaved by the madhhab. at the moment i am leaning towards the dhaahiree school as i believe i was always dhaahiree in my approach (eventhough i was technically hanafee). unfortunately this school is no longer recognized by the so called 'majority' and its views aren't being propagated to the same extent as the others.
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2009
  11. anam

anam New Member

so if the person has been educated properly as to the ruling concerned yet persists in following Abu Hanifa in the misguidance what becomes of him and does the sufi recognize shirk in obedience hizbiya taqlid?
  12. anam

anam New Member

13. well there is a difference between clinging to the opinion of aboo haneefah even when the daleel opposes his views and rejecting a hadeeth based on the usool of the hanafee madhhab. so in their view the hadeeth may not meet the criteria for saheeh and this is their reason for rejecting it.

i am currently reading the sunnah and its role in islamic legislation by dr. mustafa as-siba'ee. pretty good so far. also the evolution of fiqh by dr. bilal philips is excellent on this topic.
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2009
  14. anam

anam New Member

i ask whom i trust

no need to get caught up and stuck in a madhab
  15. anam

anam New Member

so a madhabi is more prone to the shirk of obedience than i

yet they still wish to force its following upon the Muslims which is great injustice
  16. 'Ataullah

'Ataullah New Member

SubhanAllah. how did you conclude that she wants a layman to find out daleel every single time or he/she should leave taqleed of every kind ?
  17. Sawtul Islam

Sawtul Islam <A HREF="showthread.php?t=70991"></A>

Interesting, I too came to the conclusion that the Dhahiri madhab is the best. I always found myself disagreeing with the other schools of thought, but so far I think I agree with more than 80% of what Dhahiri scholars like ibn Hazm said - so I may not technically be a Dhahiri, but I prefer this school of thought over the others.

If you find any books written by Dhahiris or about Dhahiris please give me their names, their books are very hard to find ( I have only read one from start to finish).
  18. Miqdad

Miqdad New Member

it seems like after reading the statements that following a school goes against the Salaf lol

To me these 4 madhabs have been one of the greatest fitnahs to misguide the Ummah.
  19. Mu'awiya

Mu'awiya New Member

asalaam alaikum

the sister was infact showing that its not necessary to blind follow the madhabs, and that's why she used the quotes of the founders of the madhabs themselves.

Then she further quotes Ibn Taymiyah at the end to show that you don't have to blindly follow anyone except Allah's Messenger.
  20. Miqdad

Miqdad New Member

I don't really see Thahiri as madhab, but I see it as that's how Islam is. If Allah and the Prophet said to do some thing, you do it, and if they told you not to do something you don't do it. That's how Islam is and the sign of the believers and I also agree with a lot of the alhumdulillah.