Announcement Brianstorming session to help brother Shahid Bolsen

Discussion in 'Events and Announcements' started by umm Jameel, Jun 22, 2012.

1. umm Jameel

umm Jameel New Member

My family would like to announce that we will try to set up a brainstorming session on how we can help Brother Shahid on his case, this Tuesday, (26th June) between 13:00 - 15:00 hours GMT.

He is jailed in the UAE for allegedly killing a German engineer. His side of the story was skewed and twisted by the media and he has not had a fair representation at all.
    We believe that the UAE government can be persuaded to take corrective action towards their due process failures. However, action must be taken and we believe that we can make a change if we all act together.

We are not related to Brother Shahid by blood. We have no official capacity to do anything to help him. His family cannot afford to travel to the UAE to help him.
    We hope to do something for the sake of Allah and earn His reward here and the hereafter.

Hoping for your response dear brothers and sisters.
    Forgive us for our shortcomings and please accept our invitation to the brainstorming session.

Umm Jameel
    Abu'l 'Eyse and Scented Blood like this.
  2. Mu'awiya

Mu'awiya New Member

asalaamu alaykum wa Rahmatullahi wa Barakaatuh

Where will the session take place sister?
  3. AbuSulaiman

AbuSulaiman New Member

assalaamu alaikum

Due to other commitments I can't help except by making du'a. I met him in the UK many, many years ago and I think he did a couple of lectures for us. When this story broke myself and the brothers who met him were REALLY shocked because the media portrayed him as some kind of nutter whereas, he came across as nothing but a quiet and gentle human.

Keep up the good work and I hope you can get his case reviewed.
    Abu'l 'Eyse likes this.
  4. abumuwahid

abumuwahid <A HREF="showthread.php?t=70991"></A>

Wa Alaykum As Salam

From what we can read here : UAE Death Penalty, Shahid has admitted to killing the German engineer but is asking for the sentence to be reduced to manslaughter so that he can escape the death penalty.

What exactly do you want us to help you with?
  5. abumuwahid

He does admit to killing the engineer, no?
  6. Abu Mus'ab al-Maldifi

Abu Mus'ab al-Maldifi In Pursuit of Virtue

from the site

About SKB | Leniency for SKB

here are some case related answers from brother
    SKB Interview | Leniency for SKB
  7. abumuwahid

From all the reports that I read on the case he definitely killed the german. That is not being disputed.

The prosecution claims that it is murder.

Shahid claims that it is manslaughter.
  8. umm Jameel

umm Jameel New Member

Wa alikum salam.

Forgive me. I forgot to add the msn messenger account.
    kindly add ""
  9. umm Jameel

umm Jameel New Member

That is correct.

However, Shahid has been sentenced to death by shooting squad without having his side of the story or any rules of evidence being followed in the case.

If you look at the Due Process failures section of the site : Due Process Failures | Leniency for SKB You will learn more.

Shahid did not even have a proper translator during court. On the two Court sessions that i have attended with my children's Arabic language tutor, I was told that the translation was very very poor.
    They simply summarized Shahid's statements in 1 or 2 lines and that's the end.

Shahid's lawyer is a government appointed lawyer. His family cannot afford a private lawyer. The lackadaisical attitude by the lawyer is because he has nothing gain(financially) from working on Shahid's case.

As to what our family expects out of this brainstorming session.
    We want to think of ways to get the attention of the ruling families here to take corrective action towards the due process failures in Shahid's case.

The brain storm is to think of ways to reach them and
    what other ways we can attempt to get the Court to
    1) listen to Shahids side of the story, and make a rational judgement.
    2) to correct their due process failures
    3)Get them to change the sentence for manslaughter instead of murder

Please have a look at the Islamic Law section Islamic Law | Leniency for SKB

How can the brother be sentenced to death? That's the question that my family cannot grasp./fathom.
    and the UAE law section of the site.
    UAE Law | Leniency for SKB

Umm Jameel
  10. abumuwahid

As Salamu Alaikum

Having read the interview with Shahid, have misgivings of his version of events.

I think that he lured the German to his flat on the premise that there would be some encounter with the Ethiopian maid. His version of events just does not gel. I think he just wanted to rob the guy but had no intentions of killing him. The death was accidental. He had no idea that the German engineer would react so disastrously to the chloroform.

Apart from my misgivings of this case, Shahid has my support, mostly for the reason that there is no Qiyas in the case of a kafir killed by a Muslim.

May Allah save Shahid from an unjust death.
    AbuSulaiman likes this.
  11. AbuSulaiman

AbuSulaiman New Member

Is Shahid still a citizen of the US? If so, get the ambassador involved.

The UK embassy always seems to be able to commute a death sentence to a lesser sentence for it's citizens in Saudi Arabia.
    Striving4Sunnah likes this.
  12. umm Jameel

umm Jameel New Member

Yes he is.
    We will get back to you on your query as soon as we know anything about the ambassador's involvement.
    Kindly also let us know if you will permit the webmaster to add the comment you had posted on having met him years before.

We hope you can spread the news about Shahid to anyone who've worked with him or has known him at any capacity.
    Umm Jameel
  13. umm Jameel

umm Jameel New Member

Yes. Thank you and may Allah reward you for your support and your reasons for it and the integrity of your sense of Islamic brotherhood.

Umm Jameel
  14. umm Jameel

umm Jameel New Member

15. abz2000

abz2000 <A HREF="showthread.php?t=70991"></A>

according to my knowledge, a Muslim isn't killed in Qisas for a disbeliever (la yaqtal muslim bi kafir), but his people have to satisfy the plaintiff's family with blood money,
    but if his action is justified, he goes free.
    no two goats butt heads about it.

when ‘Amr bin Omaiyah Ad-Damari killed two men from Banu Kalab by mistake in retaliation for the murders of the teachers the prophet pbuh had sent at the request of abu bara, the companion came and told the Prophet pbuh the news, and the Prophet pbuh informed him that those had a peace guarantee from him, and that blood money would have to be paid.
    there was no mention of Qisas, that's when he pbuh went to the various tribes to collect blood money according to the treaty, when the jews tried to kill him and the events of Bani Nadir took place.

i hope someone can clarify more, or i'll be back with more details InshaAllah

here's something on the topic:

(this link should take you to the exact part)

or scroll to 14min:35s

but this whole thing seems dodgy, he invites him into the house, the guy tries it on the maid, he still stays, and then there's conveniently chloroform available, and then they use his credit cards,
    the kafir guy seems to have gotten his punishment for adultery, if what's said is true,
    but this shahid guy, what on earth was he doing? sounds to me like he was running an enticement thing using his maid and robbing perverts.
    Allah A'lam what the facts really are.
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2012
  16. umm Jameel

umm Jameel New Member

Brother, , Jazak Allah Khair for mentioning the case of 'Amr bin Omaiyah Ad-Damari, as daleel, that there is no Qisas for a kafir killed by a Muslim when they are under a covenant.

Rather than duplicating the information here, I invite you to look at the Islamic Law section of Leniency4skb website: Islamic Law | Leniency for SKB as it explains the position of the Sharia on this issue quite well.

I'll mention that it is reported in al Bukhari, Abu Dawud and Nisa'i, from Ali ibn Abi Talib, by at least 3 different Sahih narrations that Rasulullah (s.a.w.) specified that "No Muslim should be killed for killing a Kafir".

Similarly, 'Amr bin Shu'aibreported that Rasulullah (s.a.w.) said "The Muslim is not killed for Kafir."

Furthermore, Aisha (r.a.) reported that when Rasulullah (s.a.w.) listed the 3 reasons for which a Muslim may be lawfully killed, they are zina, apostasy and "killing a muslim deliberately".

Thus there is no Qisas when the victim is a Kafir, according to majority of the fuqaha.

As for your question about what brother Shahid was doing and your concerns about the circumstances of the incident, I would invite you to read the Interview pages for clarification. The SKB Interview | Leniency for SKB

Ahsanallau ilaik

I would also like to mention another issue. It is a component of Imaan and a duty of brotherhood in Islam to be firm in husn adh-dhann about fellow Muslims. To think best of them, to give them the benefit of doubt, to believe them and to exonerate them. In the Hadith of Ali mentioned above, he reports that Rasulullah (s.a.w.) said about the Muslims that "They are one against all others"

For those of us who know brother Shahid - whether all extensively or passingly- what we know about him is enough to cause us to believe him and to reject as absurd all the allegations against him. But for those who do not know him; husn adh-dhann is called for and it is supported by the evidence how brother Shahid has lived his life and conducted himself even before he came to Islam. And its supported by the testimony of many other Muslimin and Muslimats who know him and bear witness to his character .... sorry for such a long post ...

ansur al-Islamu wal-muslimeen.

Wa Jazak Allahu Khair.

17. umm Jameel

umm Jameel New Member

Unfortunately, there appears to be a very indifferent attitude by the US government towards American Muslims than towards non Muslim Americans.
    The Embassy and consular staff have been extremely passive in Shahid's case as well as other cases involving American Muslim converts in the UAE. As opposed to being quite active on behalf of non-Muslims.

This improved slightly at the beginning of the Obama administration but only slightly and it has lapsed back into indifference again at this point. Some of our website visitors have noted the difference between this and the Amanda Knox case which the US Embassy was very active in resolving. There is no doubt the Embassy has a lot of power in the UAE but there doesn't appear to be a great will to help.

If they see support for Shahid, this can change.

The Sri Lankan Embassy was able to get a pardon for one of their citizens who was convicted of murder and sentenced to death. The first such pardon in the UAE.Lanka maid on death row back home after pardon - Emirates 24/7

The Indian Embassy has been hugely active in the case of the 17 Sikhs who murdered a Muslim in Sharjah. Sikhs sentenced to death in UAE - SikhiWiki, free Sikh encyclopedia.
    Organising funds, and overseeing negotiations with the deceased family and so on.

And the Bangladeshi Embassy does the same for its citizens.

The US Embassy has helped non Muslims to resolve their cases quickly but when it comes to Muslims - particularly converts - they are conspicuously not involved.
  18. AbuSulaiman

AbuSulaiman New Member

How about getting local clerics involved using the shariah proofs cited above?
  19. Wild Wild West

Wild Wild West لا تعتذر اليوم

Is there a human rights organisation in the UAE that you have contacted?

What about Amnesty International, or Human Rights Watch?