Important Burka Ban in Denmark

Discussion in 'Global Affairs' started by Layth, Aug 20, 2009.

1. Layth

Layth Abu Shawarma

Conservatives: Ban the burka!

The Conservative Party Integration Spokesman Naser Khader is calling for a ban on the burka or niqab in the public space.

For more, read here:

Conservatives: Ban the burka! - Politiken.dk

2. Layth

Layth Abu Shawarma

Poll: Danes support burka ban

For more, click here:

Poll: Danes support burka ban - Politiken.dk

3. Rosie

Rosie New Member

We simply can’t accept that some of our citizens walk around with their faces covered

Spot On.

4. Umm Ahmed

Umm Ahmed 2C oursels as ithers C us

And we can't accept women who show all the men in the street their nakedness. So pitiful to watch it's like a war, get the war paint on then the clothes what sad creatures.

5. isha-h

isha-h New Member

well thats another country off my holiday list then ....

6. Umm Ahmed

7. Frederiksen78

Frederiksen78 Rain Man

The weather is usually bad, but there are some really nice places around the country.

I can understand you don't want to visit a country with whose government you disagree with. I personally don't really want to visit Turkey since they banned Youtube.

On topic, it's been mentioned in newspapers and media around Denmark that the total amount of women wearing Burka is so incredibly low, that it makes very little sense to waste valuable politicians' time on it. Apparently there's nothing better to do... *sigh*

Naser Khader was arguing that the driving safety was at risk with women wearing burka driving... but as a journalist wrote this morning in one of the free newspapers "then if the Burka is a safety risk, the question is not whether or not she should be allowed to wear Burka, but whether or not she should be allowed to drive". Not in those exact words, but that was the general point.

It's like saying:

"Drunk people are a safety risk when driving a car. Therefore we must ban alcohol". The real point is - don't drink and drive.

Maybe a weird comparison, but that's what I came up with.

8. abumuwahid

abumuwahid <A HREF="showthread.php?t=70991"></A>

"But hey! We just love our women to walk around half naked in the streets and fully naked on the beaches. We love freedom but not the type of freedom where women decide to dress modestly!"

9. Abu Abdallah al-Bulghari

Abu Abdallah al-Bulghari <A HREF="showthread.php?t=70991"></A>

I always thought that one of the great benefits of traveling is a chance to get away from Internet, including Youtube.

So, let us see you train of thought: "This is the country ruled by military under thin guise of 'democracy': whenever they do not like the elected party, they ban it or stage a coup d'etat. But that's ok. What really ticks me off that they BANNED YOUTUBE!!!"

10. Frederiksen78

Frederiksen78 Rain Man

Abu Abdallah, I'm not sure what country you're speaking of, being ruled by the military under the guise of democracy.

Besides, what's so different from someone stating they don't want to visit Denmark because some politicians are talking about banning the burka, to someone stating they don't want to visit Turkey because the government banned youtube?

As I've also stated above, I don't agree with banning the burka. I think people should be able to wear whatever clothes they want.

You are right, of course, that one of the great benefits of traveling is the chance to get away from your daily routine with job, TV, Internet and so on. But I wasn't implying what I'd be doing in Turkey, merely what my thoughts would be of the country I was visiting. And honestly, I probably exaggerated. I don't think the banning of Youtube would keep me away from Turkey.

11. WindowsVista

WindowsVista New Member

Assalaam alaikum

I think in future the Face Veil will be banned in some Arab countries as well, cos some dodgy people and criminals using it to disguise themselves.

The Jordan Times

By Thameen Kheetan

Criminals hiding behind Islamic face veil trigger controversy
    [​IMG]

AMMAN - Figures released by authorities on crimes committed by men disguised in the Islamic face veil (niqab) have triggered a public debate on the issue of the full-face cover worn by some Muslim women.
    Muslim clerics have voiced concerns that the mounting public anger over the illegal practices may place pressure on females wearing this type of Islamic dress and compromise their free choice to wear what they deem is mandatory, according to their interpretations of religious teachings.
    These fears come amid voices calling for banning the niqab in the local media.
    “Why should clerics insist on allowing women to wear the niqab, after this veil was used as a cover to commit crimes?” wrote chief editor of Al Ghad Arabic daily, Musa Barhoumeh, in his column on Monday.
    “Why can’t we find a single scholar who has the courage to tell these women that the niqab is not a duty and that protecting society has priority over wearing it?” he added.
    Since 2008, some 50 persons, most of them are men, were referred to court in 170 cases that involved suspects disguising themselves with the niqab to commit crimes and felonies that include theft and armed robbery.
    Four men were apprehended last month and referred to the court for similar charges, while police patrols are still searching for a car belonging to at least two men who opened fire on policemen in the west Amman neighbourhood of Abdoun while wearing the niqab, Public Security Department Spokesperson Major Mohammad Khatib told The Jordan Times.
    In August 2008, two men were arrested after robbing the Société Générale Bank in Amman at gunpoint, covering their faces with the Islamic veil.
    “There is a growing number of such cases, but it has not reached the level of a phenomenon,” Khatib told The Jordan Times earlier this week, adding that the criminals “exploit people’s sympathy” for and respect for veiled women.
    One of these women said committing criminal acts while using the veil “basically exploits a good habit, which is supposed to help promote virtue in the community”.
    The 21-year-old, who requested anonymity, told The Jordan Times on Sunday she has already gone through several difficult experiences since the high-profile crimes, adding that some people have targeted her in the street with “negative” comments.
    Hiba Abu Rabi, another woman who chooses to wear the veil, said she believes that a perception has developed in society that many veiled women use the niqab to hide “shameful” behaviour, even prostitution.
    “I know women who chose to stop wearing the niqab due to such pressures,” Abu Rabi, a Sharia (Islamic law) student at the University of Jordan (UJ), said.
    Generally, the majority of people in Jordan still respect veiled women for their image as a religiously committed group, according to a colleague of Abu Rabi.
    “Thank God our community members are religiously observant, so in general we do not feel any sort of pressure,” the veiled woman told The Jordan Times, speaking on condition of anonymity.
    Yaqeen Rafiq, who also wears the niqab, criticised local media outlets for what she described as “spreading negative stereotypes of covered Jordanian females”.
    “The media is promoting the idea that any veiled person is potentially a thief,” she noted.
    UJ Sharia professor Ahmad Noufal said he does not believe there was a campaign targeting veiled women in the Kingdom, a number he estimated to be more than 150,000.
    However, he charged the local media with “excessively” focusing on the issue.
    “Some media outlets overreacted and led a campaign against the niqab,” he told The Jordan Times in an interview on Sunday.
    But media professionals said that was an overstatement.
    Ad Dustour daily columnist Hilmi Asmar insisted that the press dealt with the issue in a professional manner.
    “I personally wrote about the niqab. I actually highlighted its importance in Islam and [Jordanian] society’s respect for it,” he told The Jordan Times.
    “It is a woman’s right to wear the niqab. However, we should think twice if the face cover is used to create trouble,” he said.
    Last week, Al Ghad cartoonist Imad Hajjaj addressed the issue from a different angle. His renowned male characters Abu Mahjoob and Abu Mohammad appeared in a cartoon wearing black face covers in an attempt to “run away from banks and lenders… and swine flu”.
    Earlier this week, Islamic Action Front MP Hamzeh Mansour criticised the “harassment” of a veiled Yarmouk University (YU) Islamist student by campus security guards, who detained her for carrying political pamphlets.
    He attributed the move to “part of a process of targeting the Islamic current” since the 1994 Jordanian-Israeli peace treaty, which the Kingdom’s Islamists oppose.
    Sources at the YU administration were unavailable for comment.
    Several schools of Islamic jurisprudence differ over the interpretation of a Koranic verse which addresses the issue of niqab and hijab (head cover).
    The verse says: “And say to the believing women… that they should draw their veils over their bosoms.”
    The majority of practising Muslims in Jordan believe that hijab is obligatory for believers, while the niqab is not, according to Noufal.
    Salafists and other groups understand the verse to mean that the face cover is obligatory.

12. Eoin

Eoin Liberal Atheist

Hello,

While the veil may be used by some in the criminal fraternity to make good an escape, the same could be said of knives or false moustaches or wigs. I can't think of any good reason why it should be banned. I can't say I feel altogether comfortable around people who wear it in public areas, but I think everybody should accept that its up to individual conscience whether it is worn or not.

13. Umm Ahmed

Eoin pop along to the Central Mosque to soak up the atmosphere of Ramadan, around sunset.

14. Eoin

Eoin Liberal Atheist

Hehe, I've been over there a few times. I work in the City Chambers and the closest football pitch is at the Mosque, a few of the guys up the stairs are Muslim so they were able to organise the office football tournament to be held there. Albeit I don't think I've been there during Ramadan, nice place though, nice people too.

15. Abu Abdallah al-Bulghari

Abu Abdallah al-Bulghari <A HREF="showthread.php?t=70991"></A>

How many of those 50 have amputated limbs now? That's the question we should be asking for, not about veil.